Is eating 900 calories sometimes okay?

I’m 21/5’2/106pounds.
Trying to cut down to 101.
Eating 1300-1400 calories a day seems to have slower result.
is it okay to zigzag calorie intake? Low cals today then normal calorie allowance tomorrow then low calories again the day after tomorrow.
Will this not mess up my health/metabolism?🤔

Replies

• ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    edited May 2020
    You will not mess up your metabolism. Typically it is not recommended to go below 1200 calories but some days you just aren't as hungry. If you are aren't hungry then yes 900 calories occasionally will be ok. Doing it and feeling like your starving yourself is where you will start to harm your health. Could you try to lower your calories to 1200-1300 and see how that goes for you? Recommended if you are looking hard numbers to try otherwise play with a day for sightly higher calories like maybe 1450-1500.
  • Jeanaiah
    Jeanaiah Posts: 15 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    I am close to your stats and we are close to underweight already. Why are you going to eat so little?

Well, i look skinny fat 😕 i like how my body looks like back when i was just 46kgs.
    So I’m trying to get it back 😅
  • Jeanaiah
    Jeanaiah Posts: 15 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Other threads light people getting lighter and recomp. Most important thread the uterus one and the discussions on Instagram transformationz

If you're skinny fat at BMI 19.4, why do you think you won't be skinny fat at BMI 18.5 ESPECIALLY if you get there by losing fast....
    ...and as a result of losing fast) losing possibly fat to lean mass at a worse ratio than you had to.

At these bmis and fat levels possibly even at an inverse ratio e.g 0.5lbs of fat for 1lb of lean mass instead of 1:1 or even the traditional 2+ to 1 ranges that might be achievable by going at it reasonably.

Going at it reasonably would mean sub 0.5lbs a week, training hard and getting sufficient protein!

Gee, this sounds just like recomp, though and to be honest, at the op starting weight I would suggest that weight stability is actually more healthy than reducing weight*

*Because while the healthy weight range does denote statistical risk for the population as a whole this doesn't mean that every spot has equal risk for any one individual.

How active are you? Your TDEE comes up to above 1900 in most likely scenarios so you're already going faster than you probably should be.

You really need to think hard about what you think you're trying to fix and whether losing weight is either likely or the correct way to fix it.

This is very insightful ☺️
    Well i used to be 101lbs, i go to the gym 3x a week back then and i looked great!
    But now, when I moved to uae, I didn’t have time to go to the gym and i started to gain some weight.
    So I’m trying to get that figure back.
    Btw, my activity level? I’m also confused if I’m sedentary or lightly active.
    I’ve been staying at home for a month now doing light house work like cooking/cleaning/light goofing around but mostly, sitting on a couch. But i do 40mins walk everyday in the afternoons
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    i would say a recomp would be much better for you. Add like 10-25% more calories and add some weight training. You'll stimulate your body to gain weight with more muscle. If you've never done weight training you could add some serious definition without bulking up and you'll look athletic. However this all comes down to your goals and such.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,583 Member
    edited May 2020
    Have you noticed that you're not going to the gym and are under pressure (as are most of us) with all this COVID business?

Going to the gym and exercise endorphins do make us feel good and strong, right?

More challenging strength oriented workouts? For sure.

Not sitting on the couch all day? For sure. It's fun doing so for a few days. But it ain't great for you long term ! My routine hasn't changed in actual fact but many people have had to make adjustments to fill in their reduced work or school hours.
    If you're studying something you can always read ahead or ??? ( I am sure people will have better ideas than the blank I am drawing right now 🤷‍♂️)

Are you counting your 40 minutes of walks separately? You home cooking and self care already exhausts sedentary. The walk, if not logged separately, probably puts you on top of lightly active, hard as it may be for you to believe.

Exercise does make us stronger and makes us feel better.

Cutting off gratuitous boredom eating? For sure. Gratuitous eating and reduced activity don't go well together.

Increased activity? For sure. Bodyweight strengths training? for sure! Large caloric reduction: not so sure.