May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I'm sorry about your friends wife. Remember it's never too late to reach out.

I did my 6.5k run. Had to keep reminding myself to slow down, it felt really easy. And short. Which is a nice feeling that 6.5k feels short haha.

Right before I went out, my new bras arrived! It's been almost a month since I ordered them, and they had to come overseas since I bought them from Australia lol. 2 of the bras look exactly like what I've got, just new colours, and the 3rd is a bit softer, it will probably become a short run bra or strength training bra. Never know, it might be great for runs but I'm not holding my breath haha.

Advice please. Gloves. I think i need gloves. I currently have some basic glove liners as gloves - so just thin lycra material. They are a little cold to start with, but warm up fine, then by about 5k I'm taking them off. Any gloves better than this? Would merino be more even in temperature? My coldest run is probably 0c - we don't dip below that much, but of course wind is something to think of.

Also, for training, I am wearing my hydration pack for anything longer than 10k. Obviously during the marathon I don't have to wear the pack because hydration is provided (I'm using the same drink) and I have a sports belt I can wear for my jelly beans. They say nothing new on race day. Yes I'm probably over thinking, would you run with your pack, or with just the sports belt?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I'm sorry about your friends wife. Remember it's never too late to reach out.

I did my 6.5k run. Had to keep reminding myself to slow down, it felt really easy. And short. Which is a nice feeling that 6.5k feels short haha.

Right before I went out, my new bras arrived! It's been almost a month since I ordered them, and they had to come overseas since I bought them from Australia lol. 2 of the bras look exactly like what I've got, just new colours, and the 3rd is a bit softer, it will probably become a short run bra or strength training bra. Never know, it might be great for runs but I'm not holding my breath haha.

Advice please. Gloves. I think i need gloves. I currently have some basic glove liners as gloves - so just thin lycra material. They are a little cold to start with, but warm up fine, then by about 5k I'm taking them off. Any gloves better than this? Would merino be more even in temperature? My coldest run is probably 0c - we don't dip below that much, but of course wind is something to think of.

Also, for training, I am wearing my hydration pack for anything longer than 10k. Obviously during the marathon I don't have to wear the pack because hydration is provided (I'm using the same drink) and I have a sports belt I can wear for my jelly beans. They say nothing new on race day. Yes I'm probably over thinking, would you run with your pack, or with just the sports belt?

IMHO, less is more on race day. I’d go with no pack, no belt. I shove my gels in my pocket and I’m off. No need to carry extra weight when you’re wanting to get your best possible time. And I’ll never risk anything that could possibly chafe on race day.

As for gloves, I have merino liners from Kathmandu. They’re great.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

IMHO, less is more on race day. I’d go with no pack, no belt. I shove my gels in my pocket and I’m off. No need to carry extra weight when you’re wanting to get your best possible time. And I’ll never risk anything that could possibly chafe on race day.

I offer the OPPOSITE advice, just to prove how helpful the net is :)

For marathons, and ultramarathons I wear my Wunjo vest filled with liquid and food. When I start the race I know that I have the option to never stop. Sometimes I do anyways but I carry enough food/liquid to cover the race. I do not need any surprises on the course. For 1/2 marathon and shorter, I carry almost nothing. I know if I have to I can do those races with nothing, or if it is hot, just water. So no need to carry anything.

The old adage is you will race like you train, and I take that pretty literally. :)

I do agree, I wear merino wool glove liners too. Mine are slightly too small, so probably give them to my wife and get the next size up. Mine are a different brand, but what matters is that they are real merino wool. It is wonderful at temperature regulation, even when wet. Stuff is way better than any man-made material I have tried.

So there you go, now you have plenty of advice to choose from :) Everyone is a bit different on this, so kind have to just go with what works for you. :)

• Avidkeo
    edited May 2020
    Options

I don't own any running gear with pockets...
    Can you recommend some good leggings. I used to be really picky but seem to be less picky now...

ETA : Lol @PastorVincent your glove recommendation is the same at least.

I'm inclined to wear my pack mostly because I'm used to it, having worn on, and will wear on all my long runs, and it means if I want to take gloves or a layer off during the race, I won't lose them. Also means I can carry my phone so I can listen to my podcasts. As you say, run as you train.

It's 6 weeks away, so still have time to play

Also I'm glad you heard from your friend, but so so sorry.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I don't own any running gear with pockets...
    Can you recommend some good leggings. I used to be really picky but seem to be less picky now...

ETA : Lol @PastorVincent your glove recommendation is the same at least.

I'm inclined to wear my pack mostly because I'm used to it, having worn on, and will wear on all my long runs, and it means if I want to take gloves or a layer off during the race, I won't lose them. Also means I can carry my phone so I can listen to my podcasts. As you say, run as you train.

It's 6 weeks away, so still have time to play

Also I'm glad you heard from your friend, but so so sorry.

For leggings, I'm a Lululemon girl. Cost a bloody fortune, but last and last, and have at least one pocket, sometimes up to five. Just make sure you get their leggings designed for running rather than yoga as they're more robust. I also love their running shorts.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent so sorry. This thing is definitely not just a flu. It's a *kitten* *kitten*.

I offer the OPPOSITE advice, just to prove how helpful the net is :)

For marathons, and ultramarathons I wear my Wunjo vest filled with liquid and food. When I start the race I know that I have the option to never stop. Sometimes I do anyways but I carry enough food/liquid to cover the race. I do not need any surprises on the course. For 1/2 marathon and shorter, I carry almost nothing. I know if I have to I can do those races with nothing, or if it is hot, just water. So no need to carry anything.

The old adage is you will race like you train, and I take that pretty literally. :)

I do agree, I wear merino wool glove liners too. Mine are slightly too small, so probably give them to my wife and get the next size up. Mine are a different brand, but what matters is that they are real merino wool. It is wonderful at temperature regulation, even when wet. Stuff is way better than any man-made material I have tried.

So there you go, now you have plenty of advice to choose from :) Everyone is a bit different on this, so kind have to just go with what works for you. :)

@Avidkeo haven't run a marathon, yet, but my back-of-the-pack opinion agrees with taking the vest and being prepared to go the distance unsupported. The last half I ran, when I stayed at the back with that lady who was suffering so much, most of the water stations were almost or entirely empty by the time we got to them. If I hadn't been carrying my water we would have been seriously *kitten*.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

Update on sad COVID-19 news:
    So I heard back from him, and wow. There is no words for just how bad this thing was. After fighting for a MONTH she finally succumbed. I will not share the details, that is not my place, but this was no flu like sickness. Not even remotely.

Such a horrible time for them. If you are the praying type, please pray for them. Thanks.

Please take this COVID-19 seriously. That is all.

Hugs. Prayers for him and his family. She fought hard and can now rest
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Avidkeo
    I was grateful for my pack even though my marathon was well supported. Sometimes, i just wanted a sip between stations. Being slow, i thought better safe than sorry.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s wife. Praying for them and everyone going through this.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Another 5K this morning putting me at 20/80km. I had planned on doing 20 k of running per week I’ve already reached that and it’s only Wednesday. I know I can do more. Should I adjust my goal? Maybe 30 or 35 k per week. 🤔

exercise.png

Feel free to adjust. What have you been running until now? Remember only increase 10% per week!
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Another 5K this morning putting me at 20/80km. I had planned on doing 20 k of running per week I’ve already reached that and it’s only Wednesday. I know I can do more. Should I adjust my goal? Maybe 30 or 35 k per week. 🤔

exercise.png

Feel free to adjust. What have you been running until now? Remember only increase 10% per week!

Well I’m going on 2 months of getting out almost everyday. I try to run the 5K each time but on some days when I’m not feeling it I will walk it instead. My initial goal was to run it at least 4 times a week but I’m feeling particularly good this week so far and have been able to run it almost every morning so far.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    0505-5k, total-15k goal-100k

A fast-ish short run yesterday afternoon. Man it was hot.

@mbaker566 Wow! That was crazy and awesome, what an accomplishment.

Re: stretching @brittanystebbins95 I think the consensus is dynamic stretching before a run and static stretching afterward. I'm super lazy so I do knee swings and lunges while I wait for my watch to sync up with GPS (usually takes all of 30 seconds). I know I'm supposed to do some good stretching post-run, but that doesn't happen unless I'm sore or concerned about a niggle. Which is not a lot. And is probably not good for me. Shrug.
  • ImeldaOmom
    ImeldaOmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    18.5/55 Km Completed
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sincere condolences @PastorVincent - your friend must be devastated. I’m glad you were able to get hold of him at least, and hope that you will be able to stay in touch.

Massive awe for @mbaker566 - another incredible challenge amongst this crazy crew!

@brittanystebbins95 - thank you for your question. I almost never warm up for a run and my post run stretching tends to be quite minimal. And I KNOW I should do more but because I go before work when most people are asleep, it always ends up rushed. This is a timely reminder to get myself out of bed that bit earlier. Because I’m sore far too often.

Another 5 miles on the clock today and managed to average a sub 11 minute mile, so faster than most of my 5 mile runs have been since surgery. Managing to follow my new alternate day/4 mine min plan so far and liking it!

May goal: 60 miles
    May total: 13.2 miles

1/5: Strength training
    2/5: 4.2 miles
    3/5: Strength training
    4/5: 4 miles
    5/5: Strength training
    6/5: 5 miles

April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Well I’m going on 2 months of getting out almost everyday. I try to run the 5K each time but on some days when I’m not feeling it I will walk it instead. My initial goal was to run it at least 4 times a week but I’m feeling particularly good this week so far and have been able to run it almost every morning so far.

Just be careful to increase slowly and allow for recovery time. As long as you are doing that and listening to your body it is fine to increase your goal. Just be careful :)