Exercise for seniors

Options
Having trouble establishing a workout routine. I am 70+ and a heart attack survivor. In 2016, before my heart attack, I was in the best shape of my life, I need to establish some exercise routines that will help with cardio, strength, balance and, in general, functional fitness. I appreciate any help. Dave

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The PTDC posts articles by various trainers who specialize in training older adults.
    Here are some helpful articles:
    https://www.theptdc.com/functional-training-older-clients
    https://www.theptdc.com/rules-training-older-clients
    https://www.theptdc.com/70-age-group-work-successfully-with
    https://www.theptdc.com/can-older-clients-benefit-from-interval-training-workouts

You can also follow personal trainer Julio Salado on Twitter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    I'd agree that it's your heart condition that would be the controlling factor in what's good exercise for you, rather than your age. Heart condition first issue, other physical limitations (if you have any) second, constraints related to current medication regimen (if any) 3rd (really tied for 2nd ;) ), current fitness level 4rd - off the top of my head.

Age? Not IMO terribly relevant per se, absent any of those other issues (that I admit are statistically more common with age).

I'm "only" 64, though. ;) The main thing I notice that I think truly might be age-related is that my recovery needs loom a little larger in planning workout programs these days, vs. when I was younger. I could go to extremes more as a youth, and spring back from some pretty stupid stuff. That seems not to work as well anymore. :)

With your doctor's guidance, I'm betting you can make good, steady progress with fitness improvement.

Best wishes!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Google this: Can people who had a heart attack start strength training?

Resistance training, core training, cardiovascular training —recommended for quality of life. Your cardiologist can refer you to a physical therapist for guidance and particular training programs.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to my doctor. I know several heart attack and heart bypass patients who have been able to go back to normal exercise afterwards, including hiking, long distance biking, and running. However, you want to do it cautiously, building back slowly. You can also do things like Tai Chi for balance and yoga for flexibility.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Look up Miranda Esmonde-White. She has a show on PBS or klrn called "classical stretch- essentrics"
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a bit about treadmill walking online and come across quite a few reports and studies where post heart surgery patients are involved in various trials using a treadmill . Google brings up lots of results , seems quite common.
    Here's a uk heart charity page - https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/activity/first-exercise-steps
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Check out Jessica Smith's 6 week plan. It covers everything - cardio, strength, balance, abs, stretching. She even has her 60 year old mother in her videos showing easier versions. She is low key and it's very doable. Six of my friends and family are using her DVD. We are all over 60 and started at various fitness levels. I like that it is a plan and I don't have to rely on choosing some random exercise of the day.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,628 Member
    Options
    I just searched some out for a friend, if you let me know what you're looking for I can post some. I'm doing chair exercises right now because of an injury and am doing a lot of them and get many senior recommendations. I agree it depends on what you have a release to do. This first one looks pretty good, I may do it myself:

https://youtu.be/kF6Nh-Y5r58

Chair stretching/yoga is pretty good, I'm surprised at how much you can do in a chair.
    https://youtu.be/KEjiXtb2hRg

Leslie Sansone 1 mile walks would be a good starting place if you're able to do them, here's a Heart Healthy One Mille:
    https://youtu.be/u08lo0bESJc
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    DrDuck49 wrote: »
    Having trouble establishing a workout routine. I am 70+ and a heart attack survivor. In 2016, before my heart attack, I was in the best shape of my life, I need to establish some exercise routines that will help with cardio, strength, balance and, in general, functional fitness. I appreciate any help. Dave

Not a very good answer that can be answered over a internet post with the info you gave.

Will need details such as
    1. Goal
    2. Equipment access
    3. Health and training history.

I will say that I very much encourage you to resistance train within a appropriate manner. It is very useful to people of advanced age especially.

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm "only" 64, though. ;) The main thing I notice that I think truly might be age-related is that my recovery needs loom a little larger in planning workout programs these days, vs. when I was younger. I could go to extremes more as a youth, and spring back from some pretty stupid stuff. That seems not to work as well anymore. :)

Yeah. All other factors aside (med limits and underlying conditions, base conditioning, goals, and whatnot), age does tend to mean more gradual conditioning, easier conditioning loss, and greater needs for recovery and, especially, greater needs to not do stupid stuff. I'm 65yo myself and have a passel of med limitations and age-related conditions. Yet I'm am stronger and healthier these last couple of years since early retirement through a program of moderate dietary modification and exercising (cycling, summer [ocean] swimming, and light hiking/walking, winter gym routines) than I had been in the last 15 or so years of my high career. Importantly, I'm following Doctors' guidelines (several MDs), not on activity choices, which are my preferences, but on limits and approaches and watch criteria.

I'm in NJ USA, and in a strict at-home lockdown due to coronavirus as a high-risk candidate. This frustrates me to no end, by not getting out, but I am working on my "prison body" - in-home exercise routine and dietary control (lost some weight); good, but not as good as getting outside. You might find your initial workouts to be at-home things (stairs, bodyweight routines and stretches), for instance, if you are similarly constrained from getting out. As people have pointed out above, online, youtube for example, there's a zillion things to watch to give you routines that your doctor would approve. Oh, and I have a few handweight barbells and a selection of resistance bands (therapy bands) for exercise too.

If cycling is in your sphere, I've found Joe Friel's book, "Cycling After 50" to be a good launch pad for me to think about training to ride after having been away from the activity for decades.

Good luck, @DrDuck49 Dave.
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Speak to your doctor about programs that are available in your area for cardiac patients. There is likely a program in a hospital or clinic in your area that caters to people with your medical considerations. Otherwise, your doctor should be able to refer you to a trainer with certification in training people with medical conditions. In your situation, medical supervision would be highly recommended and shouldn't be left to a random search since you now have altered physiology.

As Cheiflrg mentioned above, you should let your doctor and trainer know your goals and make sure that any trainer has your medical information such as medications and treatments so they can determine a safe and effective program.

Best of luck.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Fanatic presentation by Dan John (long time trainer who is in his 60's) about "Training the Post-Youth Client" he gave at a National Strength and Conditioning Association seminar. It's about 90 minutes and gives his thoughts on what the "post-youth" individual needs regarding physical conditioning. It's a recorded presentation so you can get most of the point just listening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RIqmZ_IBWM
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    The main reasons people go to assisted living is due to falling and not being able to get off the toilet. In order to maintain the strength and balance to avoid those issues, assuming one is medically able to, it's good to strive to exercise with limited support of a chair, bench, etc. Core strength is critical and you're not developing it when your weight is supported.

Best of luck.