Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Replies

• wendyron3
    wendyron3 Posts: 91 Member
    Happy Monday to you all! It’s nice to hear so many people be so supportive to each other! It really is encouraging. I have been enjoying the weather here in Ohio too! Sunday we had a 80 degree day and enjoyed a long hike. I have been doing pretty good on nutrition and have exercised most days since the quarantine. Yesterday was one of those overwhelming high anxiety days. I went way over in calories and didn’t exercise. I don’t know why all of the sudden I loose my resolve. I was able to get it together today though. I’m hoping that I can keep it together and get to a healthy happy weight!
    Good luck to all and have a great week!
  • mgan9311
    mgan9311 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi all.. I'm new not new new....ok it's been a while. I'm 210ish, almost 42, 5'5" and nothing works. I'm a muscular fat kinda person...and I can't shrink. I've tried everything, calorie restriction, keto, whole30, vegetarian, etc. Zilch. I even cut out processed foods and nothing. I don't drink soda and don't eat sugar or much bread, no pasta, etc. Tracking doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone had this problem? I've started a running program, do total gym for strength training, yoga, and spinning. I am also a hiker/backpacker. Ive even tried a nutritionist and I gained weight lol. I think my heart is ok, I'm not diabetic, and I don't have high blood pressure.

So if anyone is also having trouble, I'm desperate for help and support. And I'm right there with you!

Will you be my friend?

• BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Hi, mgan9311! I understand your frustration. Our bodies can be one giant mystery puzzle. Sad to say, the only way I have lost any weight in the past two decades has been from having cancer. Before my diagnosis, I was working out all the time and losing nothing. Then, I found MFP and realized that I was eating back those work out calories and then some. On some of my tries, I would last two weeks or a month and not see a difference on the scale and would give up. I also know that back then, I was not taking my thyroid medication consistently. I have now learned how missing just one dose can negatively affect my body.

It is so difficult to not become disheartened when the scale goes up and not down. I am fighting that feeling already. But I am committing myself to striving for three months of consistency. While I too have "tried" many things, I have not tried something, other than keto, and really stuck to it to see if there was a change. (After two months of keto, I lost a couple of pounds, but blood work showed that my liver enzymes had dramatically increased and my doctor determined that my liver could not process the keto diet without damage). If I can show myself that I have monitored my calories, cut back on my carbs, and increased my exercise for these three months, then I know that something outside of my control is going on. Perhaps you can come up with your own 3-month plan and we can be there for each other to stay the course! Thinking of you and hope you have a good night!
  • BittersweetVita
    Hey all - I had an issue with my account and had to change names. That only took about two hours to figure out! Lol! Anyhow, have a good night!
  • ToniPressman
    ToniPressman Posts: 9 Member
    mgan9311 wrote: »
    Hi all.. I'm new not new new....ok it's been a while. I'm 210ish, almost 42, 5'5" and nothing works. I'm a muscular fat kinda person...and I can't shrink. I've tried everything, calorie restriction, keto, whole30, vegetarian, etc. Zilch. I even cut out processed foods and nothing. I don't drink soda and don't eat sugar or much bread, no pasta, etc. Tracking doesn't seem to make a difference. Has anyone had this problem? I've started a running program, do total gym for strength training, yoga, and spinning. I am also a hiker/backpacker. Ive even tried a nutritionist and I gained weight lol. I think my heart is ok, I'm not diabetic, and I don't have high blood pressure.

So if anyone is also having trouble, I'm desperate for help and support. And I'm right there with you!

Will you be my friend?

So sorry to hear you're struggling especially with all the efforts you're putting in.
    Have you had your hormones checked? Doesn't make sense that you're not losing.

I'll be your friend :smile:
  • mgan9311
    Hi Toni, thanks for the friend request :wink:

No, I haven't been to have the hormones checked specifically...no doctor has ever mentioned it. They say I have metabolic syndrome but can't back it up with tests - i.e. there's no tests for that and its hard to detect. They always say eat better and exercise more. Lower cholesterol. My cholesterol has been static at 200 my entire life, that's normal for me. Then they say calories in vs calories out. Ya...I believe in actually eating! I probably should go to my newer doc and ask her if she can do hormone tests to see if its out of whack. I can't take hormone replacement with estrogens...I have a blood clotting disorder.

I've ramped up my home workouts since the end of April. I took measurements on April 30 and I'm trying to pick a day to take them again to see if I'm making any progress. I tend to hold water for sure....and can gain 3-5 pounds of water weight overnight, and during my cycle. But I am chronically dehydrated all the time...so, I make sure I drink 2+ liters of water a day.

Today, I hopped on my total gym for my circuit strength training. Now I'm eating plain oatmeal and egg whites mixed with vegetables. Its sooo good! I notice I am starving after any kind of weight training, but after cardio, I am not hungry at all and and actually lose my appetite. Is that normal? I'm going running tonight (Going to learn to run and do a 5k before I get old).

But I don't think cardio builds muscle? Can anyone weigh in on this?
  • mgan9311
    Hi, mgan9311! I understand your frustration. Our bodies can be one giant mystery puzzle. Sad to say, the only way I have lost any weight in the past two decades has been from having cancer. Before my diagnosis, I was working out all the time and losing nothing. Then, I found MFP and realized that I was eating back those work out calories and then some. On some of my tries, I would last two weeks or a month and not see a difference on the scale and would give up. I also know that back then, I was not taking my thyroid medication consistently. I have now learned how missing just one dose can negatively affect my body.

It is so difficult to not become disheartened when the scale goes up and not down. I am fighting that feeling already. But I am committing myself to striving for three months of consistency. While I too have "tried" many things, I have not tried something, other than keto, and really stuck to it to see if there was a change. (After two months of keto, I lost a couple of pounds, but blood work showed that my liver enzymes had dramatically increased and my doctor determined that my liver could not process the keto diet without damage). If I can show myself that I have monitored my calories, cut back on my carbs, and increased my exercise for these three months, then I know that something outside of my control is going on. Perhaps you can come up with your own 3-month plan and we can be there for each other to stay the course! Thinking of you and hope you have a good night!

Hi there, thanks for sharing your insight. I will take this into consideration...I think I am going to start putting 1 calorie in every time I do a workout and stick to my calorie goal for now so I don't eat back my cals. I am targeting 1800 calories a day. I hope that isn't too much or too little. But I cannot survive on less than 1600..I feel ill on a long term low calorie count. The exception is fasting - which I am interested in. But I can't bring myself to do it yet. My mom did it for religious purposes and she maintained her weight throughout her life without dieting, until her cancer. But she loved some sugary stuff which was to her detriment. She had breast cancer and thyroid cancer, which metastasized. She found her breast lump about 7 years before seeing a doc about it. She was already stage 4. SO part of what is driving me is my age...and fear of getting cancer like she did.

I like the three month plan idea. I am calling this my quarantine health reset.

• BittersweetVita
    Today was just exhausting. I did better with drinking more water, but I went over my calories and I did not get my walk in either. Everything fell on me today. All the homeschooling, making doctor appointments, the mopping of the sticky floor, taking the dog to the vet, grocery pick up and subsequent put away, making breakfast and lunch and dinner, the dinner clean up. My oldest son offered to help and he did help where he could. I asked my husband for help and he did help with dinner, but he injured his neck apparently when we were doing gardening a week and a half ago which is affecting his shoulder and his has numbness down his arm into his fingers. He was just kinda there today. And I know, we all can have "off" days. I used the rain as an excuse not to walk, but really, I just did not feel that I could leave the house with the head space he seemed to be in. And there is still so much to do today. It has been so stressful. Is anyone else having to wear so many hats during quarantine? Does anyone else have these "guilt/worry" feelings when you try to fit in your exercise? Thanks. I hope you all had a decent day!
  • ToniPressman
    ToniPressman Posts: 9 Member
    mgan9311 wrote: »
    Hi Toni, thanks for the friend request :wink:

No, I haven't been to have the hormones checked specifically...no doctor has ever mentioned it. They say I have metabolic syndrome but can't back it up with tests - i.e. there's no tests for that and its hard to detect. They always say eat better and exercise more. Lower cholesterol. My cholesterol has been static at 200 my entire life, that's normal for me. Then they say calories in vs calories out. Ya...I believe in actually eating! I probably should go to my newer doc and ask her if she can do hormone tests to see if its out of whack. I can't take hormone replacement with estrogens...I have a blood clotting disorder.

I've ramped up my home workouts since the end of April. I took measurements on April 30 and I'm trying to pick a day to take them again to see if I'm making any progress. I tend to hold water for sure....and can gain 3-5 pounds of water weight overnight, and during my cycle. But I am chronically dehydrated all the time...so, I make sure I drink 2+ liters of water a day.

Today, I hopped on my total gym for my circuit strength training. Now I'm eating plain oatmeal and egg whites mixed with vegetables. Its sooo good! I notice I am starving after any kind of weight training, but after cardio, I am not hungry at all and and actually lose my appetite. Is that normal? I'm going running tonight (Going to learn to run and do a 5k before I get old).

But I don't think cardio builds muscle? Can anyone weigh in on this?

Anything hormone related, I see my Herbalist as she looks at my holistic health rather than just the symptoms.
    For example, my "usual" GP (family Dr) completely missed my endometriosis and adenomyosis which was eventually picked up by my Herbalist and confirmed by my Gynecologist but still resulted in a hysterectomy at age 40, luckily I had completed my family. My Herbalist continues to prescribe a variety of herbs if my hormones start going crazy again, luckily it's only been twice since my op.
    Hope that helps you :smile:
  • suladeanne
    suladeanne Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    Today was just exhausting. I did better with drinking more water, but I went over my calories and I did not get my walk in either. Everything fell on me today. All the homeschooling, making doctor appointments, the mopping of the sticky floor, taking the dog to the vet, grocery pick up and subsequent put away, making breakfast and lunch and dinner, the dinner clean up. My oldest son offered to help and he did help where he could. I asked my husband for help and he did help with dinner, but he injured his neck apparently when we were doing gardening a week and a half ago which is affecting his shoulder and his has numbness down his arm into his fingers. He was just kinda there today. And I know, we all can have "off" days. I used the rain as an excuse not to walk, but really, I just did not feel that I could leave the house with the head space he seemed to be in. And there is still so much to do today. It has been so stressful. Is anyone else having to wear so many hats during quarantine? Does anyone else have these "guilt/worry" feelings when you try to fit in your exercise? Thanks. I hope you all had a decent day!
    Just wanted to encourage you today! Great job being able to take such good care of everyone and everything. It sounds like you got a lot of movement in today even if it was taking care of the house, kids, husband and practical stuff.
  • Mountainlove
    Mountainlove Posts: 23 Member

I just want to say "hi" and give you a big giant hug! I don't have any answers for you. However, I do know that doctors don't know it all. ((*hugs*))
  • Mountainlove
    I'm just popping in to say "hi"! I've been exhausted all day today. I didn't work out, but that's ok. I'll get on the treadmill tomorrow since it's supposed to rain. Instead, I caught up on film developing today - developed 10 rolls. And now I know for sure that my "May" camera is in good working order. I'm doing a film photography project this year where I take a picture every day, in black and white, and using a different camera every month. I started in January, 2013, with a digital p365 (project 365) and never thought that in 2020 I'd be on my 8th one (or using film)! The coronavirus has made it hard - and I don't have the variety of photos I usually have. But, there's nothing I can do about that.

How is everyone doing?
  • Mountainlove
    Happy Monday All! How is it that I can never get to this until the end of the day?

@Mountainlove it sounds like such a stressful time for you and the people in your area. Good plan to unplug. Having to try and supervise learning for my kids at home during all of this has made me a firm believer that teachers are super heroes! Thank you!!

We had a beautiful day yesterday and I wound up with a bit of a sunburn too. We did some gardening and had a picnic outside. It was lovely...and then grey and frigid this morning. Apparently there is a polar vortex headed our way :'(

Hope everyone has a great week!

Are you guys expecting snow this weekend?

It's been stressful. My kids, thankfully, are pretty responsible, and pretty self-sufficient. They're learning has been "bump-less" for the most part. They do the work they're supposed to and go on with their day. March/April worked out ok - I was teaching my students from the home office, and my kids were learning in the kitchen. My husband was still going to work (he was essential personnel). Crazy times.

How are your kids doing? Are they winding down?
  • CrumbsInMyButter
    CrumbsInMyButter Posts: 31 Member
    Hi all,

I would agree with with all that mentioned that this week is stressful! My kids are fighting consistently and this makes me stress eat/bake. However, I have made sure to walk/jog this week as I need to get away from the house. This helps my mental health along with my general health. I am aiming to lose 10 lbs this month (putting me around 184 lbs). I am wearing jeans today and they are tight. I am trying to focus on positive like things are slowly reopening here in Ontario. I am hoping that life can be somewhat back to normal by sept. Bon courage all!
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    @Mountainlove YES! I am facing out my front window and was watching snowflakes during a meeting this morning! I was just reading back some comments I had missed...sounds like a fascinating photography project you are working on. What a cool way to document this time! It will really be something to look back on.

My kids are all at different points with learning online. One loves it, one is rather neutral about it and the other strongly dis likes it. He doesn't like school in general, but he struggles with being organized enough to get things done when they are all sent out online.

@CrumbsInMyButter I hear you about the stress eating/baking. I do a lot of baking normally to try and avoid a lot of processed foods in the kids' lunches etc., but lately, my baking has been less healthy and I was endulging more up until a couple weeks ago. Now, I'm doing better at logging my food and keeping myself accountable (remembering that the little bites I steal here and there add up!). Good for you for staying active and getting away from the house. That does so much for our mental health. I look forward to things opening up a bit too!

I am so thankful that it is Friday (pretty sure I say that every week). I've done well with tracking this week and worked out every morning except today. I got up on time, but then remembered something that I needed to get ready for a meeting which took precedence. I guess today will be my rest day and I will make it up on the weekend.

Hope you're all having a good Friday and for those moms in the group, I hope that you have a great Mother's Day weekend!
  • BittersweetVita
    Thanks for the hugs and warm words, Suladeanne and Mountainlove. It sounds like CrumbsInMyButter and Mummiecakes are feeling the school at home pressures too. I talked to my husband and he is going to try (again) to learn some of these online learning programs to help me. I know it is not his thing at all, but after helping me today, he realized what a stress it is. His support with understanding me and with hopefully being able to help will allow me to have a little more time to myself and not stress so much. I actually able to walk for an hour this afternoon and although it was raining, it was glorious! Happy Friday!
  • maguiyr
    maguiyr Posts: 16 Member
    Hi ladies! I was wondering if I could join you? This group seems to be what I need! I’m 42, and looking to lose 15 lbs, so my goal is 130-135 lbs. it’s more about how I feel and what I’m fitting into to then weight. I’ve fallen off the wagon with self isolating with my 3 kids (10,8&4) and trying to not lose my mind by teaching them everyday! Oh and I live near Buffalo NY and it’s been snowing here since yesterday so that is lovely.
    Anyways I’ve been losing my self control as far as eating and drinking is concerned. I’m totally an emotional eater, it’s my go to for stress and right now is such a hard time.
    I’m working out everyday either a beach body video or Vshred video and I try to dance to fitness Marshall videos on YouTube each day for some cardio... I would like to get outside to run but can’t leave my kids home alone. Thinking about purchasing a treadmill....
    Please friend me I would like to stay accountable and have a safe place for motivation and support as well! Have a great day!
    Jessica
  • Comms0p
    Comms0p Posts: 228 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello everyone. I just came back to MFP on monday - in order to keep me accountable on Caloric intake and Macros - because I entered a 30 Naked body challenge. It's short term yes, but I needed motivation to help kick start my tush back into shape. Looking for additional accountability! I even bought a digital scale *gasp* :# (haven't had one in years!)
    I am 42, mom of 2 girls 14 & 10, Shift worker, and weigh 152lbs {down 3 since almost 3 weeks ago}. My plan is to get back down to 135lbs.
    I was just getting into heavy lifting at the gym - minor injuries due to improper form, lack of cardio, and poor nutritional choices and of course closed gyms have honored me of wearing a bigger spare tire than usual :(
    Looking forward to being Friends!
    Oh I forgot - I live in Saskatchewan, Canada! :smiley:
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Hi all,

I'd love to join you all too.
    I am 42, with 2 kids (ages 13 & 10). I have been slowly losing weight over about the last year, down about 10lb with 15 to go.

But, lately things have stalled. We have been in lockdown for coming up to 7 weeks. At first I was managing okay with long dog walks and just being active with the kids, and a few video workouts being posted by my gym. But now it has opened up enough for DH to return to work, while I am home trying to work and keep the kids on track with school. Struggling to do any exercise at all.
    And I just heard a few days ago that my gym isn't surviving the lockdown so won't have that to go back to - I really loved it, and not easily replaceable for me, so I am going to try working out at home for now.

This afternoon we will hear if we are moving away from lockdown yet...it will still be kids at home with me this week, but really hoping they can go to school next week.

Right, going to try and do a workout NOW while the kids are working...I give it 3 minutes before the fighting breaks out...
  • drollings2019
    drollings2019 Posts: 95 Member
    I turned 40 last year and now weight the most I have in my entire life around 205. I few years ago, I weighed about 190 when my husband (at the time) accidentally left a google search up that said "how to convince your wife to lose weight". I was tiny before we had kids and put on more and more after each of my three. I felt horrible, but it was the motivation I needed to get in gear. I created a MyFitness Pal account, tracked every single think I ate, and walked at least 3 miles per day. I got a Fitbit and never went to bed without 10,000 steps minimum. I was consistent or a long time. I really didn't do anything but try to keep my calories around 1200 and walk, walk, walk. I don't like to run (it kills my knee) but I could do a little bit on the treadmill. I would start with 1/2 a song, and then a full song, and just try to add more each time I ran. I still didn't like it, but did what I could to add a little sweat to my workouts. I eventually got down to about 145 pounds. I felt great. We went on a trip to Mexico and it was wonderful not feeling bad about myself. Then, little by little, I got out of the habit. My downfall was when I quit weighing myself every day. That seems to be a motivating factor for me. I had gained about 20 pounds back when we were on a trip with friends. There were tiny girls everywhere and my then husband would say to our friends, "she used to be that little" or "she used to be able to wear things like that". I hated myself. I would try again, but always seemed to fail. We divorced not long after that. I weighed around 165 at that time and was determined to get fit before I turned 40. Then I met my now husband. He is amazing and has encouraged me to love me for who I am because he does. But, I got a little too comfortable and he cooks amazing food :) He is so supportive of whatever I want to do, but I can't seem to find the motivation I had before. I will log for a day or two, and then stop. I eat good for a day or two, then give up. I tell myself each week that I have to start walking again, and I don't. I just don't understand why I can't get with it. He is willing to cook whatever I want to eat, eat well with me, walk with me. I should be able to do this!

I am going to start tracking my food again, trying to keep around 1200-1300 calories. I tried before to do the breakdown of protein, carbs, etc, but it is just too much for me to begin with. I am much better if I can just eat mostly healthy and track whatever I eat. We have 5 kids who all like different things, so trying to please everyone without making multiple things is hard. And I am going to get back to walking. I start back at work tomorrow after working from home. I have an accountability partner there that should help me. And water, water, water!! I have an addiction to sweet tea that I have to give up.

If anyone would like to be friends and help me along, please feel free to add! I need all the motivation I can get!