Alcohol

Options
Can I drink as much alcohol as I like as long as it is in my calorie deficit and still lose weight?

Replies

• Zimm7
    Zimm7 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a loaded question.
    Other than occasional drink, I would think having to really account for calories in alcohol consumption is going to be a problem.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    This sounds like a loaded question.
    Other than occasional drink, I would think having to really account for calories in alcohol consumption is going to be a problem.

I don't think there is any problem with regularly drinking reasonable amounts less than occasionally, like regularly having a glass of wine with dinner or having some beer on the weekend (unless it's a problem for someone individually, of course). Obviously if it is crowding out what you need, it's an issue. But for many people, 120 calories for wine is something that can be fit into diet that is meeting nutritional needs.

I took the comment about being hard to account for the calories in alcohol was referring to when one gets past more than a few in a sitting may lose track.
  • jameeshaW
    jameeshaW Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tthank you for this post because I am wondering the same thing !!

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah, although personally alcohol causes me to retain water like crazy, so I see a stall on the scale when I drink.

But I still drink because... I like it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I actually saved this thread below because of @lgfrie's answer here, too. I've reread it several times because it's inspiring and insightful. That is all.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10779803/alcoholic-quitting-alcohol-effortless-weight-loss#latest
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    For pure weight loss, certainly! CICO.
    One of the main problems, though, with drinking within your caloric deficit range (as others may have alluded) is hitting your macros.

Initial weight loss is all about calories. Once you have that down, you can move from beginning stages (CICO) to intermediate/advanced weightloss (CICO + macro partitioning). With alcohol being 9 cal/gram and 0 protein or fat, you'll probably find it hard to hit minimums of .8g protein/lb and 50g fat, absent a decent amount of cardio to make room.

Weightloss is the first step though, and-as an initial focus-as long as your counting alcohol and in a deficit you're heading in the right direction.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,141 Member
    Options
    One of the main problems, though, with drinking within your caloric deficit range (as others may have alluded) is hitting your macros.

Initial weight loss is all about calories. Once you have that down, you can move from beginning stages (CICO) to intermediate/advanced weightloss (CICO + macro partitioning). With alcohol being 9 cal/gram and 0 protein or fat, you'll probably find it hard to hit minimums of .8g protein/lb and 50g fat, absent a decent amount of cardio to make room.

Weightloss is the first step though, and-as an initial focus-as long as your counting alcohol and in a deficit you're heading in the right direction.

Just as clarification: Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, not 9.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You are correct - my bad!

Point still stands 🙂
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Surely that depends on the AVB%. I'm all about the ale me o:)