Vegan Recipes

gillianlsteele
gillianlsteele Posts: 6 Member
Hi Guys

I'm a newly minted plant based eater and I was wondering what is your favorite Vegan Recipes.

What websites do you hit for tasty recipes

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Any asian stir fry recipe, and replace the meat with seitan.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I love stir frys, currys, bolognese, all the typical stuff but vegan versions. The main things I use instead of meat are usually tofu (must be crispy), chickpeas, black beans, lentils and some meat substitutes. I tend to just use google and go with whatever looks good, but my favourites for food ideas and recipes are Bosh, Rachel Ama, Cheap Lazy Vegan, The Happy Pear, One Arab Vegan, The Vegan Stoner, Healthy Crazy Cool, Cookie & Kate, One Green Planet,Connoisseurus Veg and the BBC Good Food website has some good vegan (or easily made vegan) ones too.
  • dru66mfp
    dru66mfp Posts: 10 Member

[/quote]

All vegans should either supplement B12 or regularly eat foods fortified with it. There are no plant sources of B12 and B12 deficiency isn't something you want to experience.[/quote]

Yup everyone should no matter how you eat. I know a few non vegans that need b12 shots and more that are deficient. B12 doesnt come from animals, it comes from bacteria. With everything being so clean now everyone should be supplementing this very important nutrient.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    dru66mfp wrote: »

Yup everyone should no matter how you eat. I know a few non vegans that need b12 shots and more that are deficient. B12 doesnt come from animals, it comes from bacteria. With everything being so clean now everyone should be supplementing this very important nutrient.

While it is true that many non-vegans do find themselves deficient in B12 (especially those who are over 60, as our ability to absorb it can diminish over time), animal foods do contain B12. Foods like eggs, meat, and dairy have B12 in them, it isn't due to them being somehow contaminated with bacteria.

So while vegans aren't the *only* people who need to pay attention to B12, all vegans need to have a plan for getting it because it isn't found at all in plant foods (unless those foods are fortified with it).
  • ncraspa
    ncraspa Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2020
    Definitely you need B12. What I often do is take a few ingredients that I have in the fridge, Google them preceded by "Vegan" and I have found some really great recipes that way. Also, usually what I have are things I like so usually I enjoy the product. Also, MFP makes it easy to add recipes and it calculates the nutrition for you. . . . a really great feature.
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    New to the boards. I am vegetarian, and aim for Whole Food Plant Based eating. My favorite website is Clean Food Dirty Girl. I also look to Minimalist Baker, Forks Over Knives, and Oh She Glows.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    edited July 2020
    This, this, so much this https://www.healthyfood.com/healthy-recipes/chickpea-and-tomato-curry/

Except i use whole coriander and cumin seeds (And mustard when I have it), and fresh garlic, ginger and tumeric (which, I forget, did it have tumeric at all? Definitely need that, key ingredient!) And a little curry powder. And all these get fried before I add the tomatoes and chickpeas (and green peas, you can add green peas too but don't add heaps, maybe like half, or two thirds a cup).

Somewhere along the way I stretched it out with an extra can of tomatoes although lately I'm very conscious that although delicious it doesn't keep me full long and that might be where I went wrong.
  • boughtandsetfree
    boughtandsetfree Posts: 3 Member
    I like to follow health vegan coaches, athletes and body builders on Instagram and YouTube. They tend to base meals around calories and nutrition. It's easier to figure out my proper food intake. As to other recipes I might maintain or gain weight. This MyFitnessPal app is probably going to help a huge amount. The whole reason I got on it was multiple vegan health coaches and athletes I follow keep saying it's a major part of making sure their calories and nutrition are proper based upon their goals. People I like: Seasoned Tofu Cole Hastings, Plant Based Ben, Kori Sutton, Nimai Delgado, Jaurdai Family, Chef Aj, Miguel ?, Vegan fitness, muscles bruscles, Dr.LeoVenus, Dr.McDougall, Tabitha BrownThese are a great start. Instagram is a great resource in typing in stuff and following. You can gain great knowledge by just scrolling after you find who you are going to follow.
  • redsylks1805
    redsylks1805 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for sharing! I will be trying these recipes
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Any asian stir fry recipe, and replace the meat with seitan.

..or replace with tempeh or tofu. Tempeh is pretty easy to make if you have a food processor.

https://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/03/homemade-sausages.html

My favorite vegan recipe author:

https://www.theppk.com/

If I were starting out now I would get this cookbook:

https://www.theppk.com/books/i-can-cook-vegan/

As mentioned by someone else, there are a lot of ethnic cuisines that offer a variety of vegan foods because people in those cultures have a history of omitting meat. So try some Ethiopian, Indian, or Chinese vegan options. I was raised in the southern US with a very traditional meat-based diet but my grandparents were farmers and I noticed that meat was often more like a condiment to them, for example putting a little piece of fatback on their pintos, or a little sidemeat in their field greens. To replace the salty, unctuous, smokiness of fatback/sidemeat in your beans and greens try a combination of toasted sesame oil and soy sauce.

• XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member

While it is true that many non-vegans do find themselves deficient in B12 (especially those who are over 60, as our ability to absorb it can diminish over time), animal foods do contain B12. Foods like eggs, meat, and dairy have B12 in them, it isn't due to them being somehow contaminated with bacteria.

So while vegans aren't the *only* people who need to pay attention to B12, all vegans need to have a plan for getting it because it isn't found at all in plant foods (unless those foods are fortified with it).

While animal foods do contain b12 they don't make it themselves. They used to get it from the soil like us, it's a soil borne bacteria.

Most animals are now given b12 supplements due to us destroying our soil.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2020
    @gillianlsteele Yes, I agree with all of those listed above. The only two obvious inclusions (so many on my list...even though I don't use recipes, I have for inspiration.) I would suggest - you might want to check out Simnett Nutrition and High Carb Hannah, for different reasons. These days my food is very simple....the best. But lean on these videos and watch all the educational videos for inspiration and knowledge. (Have you seen the Game Changers?) Welcome to the tribe and this beautiful lifestyle.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    @Boughtandsetfree...I can tell from the you tubers that you have listed that you are concentrating on a low fat whole food protocol/bodybuilding. You might want to add Simnett Nutrition to your list and you might find the interview of Nimai on Rich Rolls's podcast inspirational (interesting background). (I've attended classes with Chef AJ, she is a tiny but mighty ball of energy!) Best of health!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

While animal foods do contain b12 they don't make it themselves. They used to get it from the soil like us, it's a soil borne bacteria.

Most animals are now given b12 supplements due to us destroying our soil.

Okay, but this doesn't change the fact that animal foods have it and non-vegans typically are consuming B12 without needing to make a decision to consume supplements.

That domesticated animals also require supplements, which fortifies their flesh or secretions with B12, is kind of irrelevant for the purposes of this conversation.