Runner’s accountability

Looking for other runners who need a little accountability! I’ve definitely relaxed my eating since the lockdown and feeling sluggish overall but especially when I run. I want to clean up my diet and lose 6-7 lbs while still being able to maintain my training. Friend me if you have similar goals! It’s really hard not to dig into alllll the cookies my family likes to bake right now :).

Replies

• PnguinGrl73
    PnguinGrl73 Posts: 10 Member
    I’m new to running and found a great plan to start into running without going all out and getting hurt (as I tried in the past). But I’d love to be part of a group to stay accountable with my running goal as well as clean up my eating. I’m guilty of being the one making all the cookies in my family. 😬
  • brooklynans910
    brooklynans910 Posts: 7 Member
    @PnguinGrl73 it took me a long time to figure out how to ramp things up without getting injured. I think the 10 percent rule really works, with some weeks where you just hold your mileage steady. Plus lots of strength training, particularly for glutes/core/legs. And it’s too easy right now to whip up cookies! I don’t want to cut them out entirely but just be a bit more mindful of how much I’m consuming :).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'd love to run more, but it's just getting too hot around here. I'm going to try to get out kinda early tomorrow, go to the park for a run and do some errands in town.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    I love running and I've been doing it between 0500 to 0600 to avoid people. I used to just do the treadmill at the gym (I work nights and it was easier) but with gyms closed I've been running when I get off work in the morning. Off at 0530 and home and out the door by 0600. But I miss lifting weights at the gym. And my back misses it too. I've started getting better at doing glute/hip/quad etc stretching and strengthening exercises. I get terrible lower back pain and stiffness if I don't. I think I've finally nailed down a routine that works.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I’m in the same boat. I had lost 28 lbs since September of last year, then quarantine, and I put 6 lbs back on. I can feel it when I run, and I really want to lose those lbs again! We haven’t been baking, but just being in quarantine and shopping only once per week for a family of 5, I’ve purchased a number of treats “for the kids”. It hasn’t helped that we’ve been to our local ice cream shop several times, loving the ice cream while trying to help their business.

I’ve worked up to running 20 miles per week, and had several races planned before they were all canceled. Now I’m just trying to keep up the mileage and do a longer run every other weekend. I actually love running in the heat (but not the humidity!).
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    After a relatively long hiatus I started to run more too. I'm doing close to 10-15 miles per week, but I'm trying to increase my miles now that weather starts to get better. Feel free to add me.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    I'm running about 20 miles a week and ramping up. I either run at 5a or 8p to avoid heat and people. I need accountability too, so feel free to friend me, too.
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    I'm a runner and need accountability food wise. Running about 20-25 miles per weekfollowing a garmin coach plan at the moment to improve my 5k time. I can run long, I cannot run fast!
    Good at running, and doing other exercises, bad at limiting my portion sizes and snacks. Feel free to add me.
  • JMNagain
    Also, in case you need a nudge, I ran at 7 this morning before it got too hot. Was lovely! Just a slow 2miles with the dog to stretch our my legs after a long run (8miles) last night. I can recommend it as a way to start the day :)

Feel free to add me, anyone.
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    what kind of apps are you all using? i’m using the freeletics app for running and body weight workouts
  • brooklynans910
    brooklynans910 Posts: 7 Member

Definitely in the same boat @lightenup2016 @JMNagain! I’m good at running but bad at eating. The extra time has allowed me to ramp up my miles but I’ve still gained weight cause I’m at home with my family and somebody is always bringing out food (when I’m alone, not usually an issue but definitely bad at saying no when somebody makes a big bowl of popcorn/cookies/nachos etc and it’s right in front of me) and cocktail hour has become a daily thing. Pair that with big family style meals where I always go for seconds...goes to show you can’t outrun a bad diet! Im forgiving towards myself because I think part of it is stress- there is a lot going on in the world. But I’m in a place now where I’m okay with being a bit more conscious, and think just being aware of how much I’m actually consuming will go a long way. The little bites of stuff adds up :smile:

@sashimimaniac for running, I’m in a group and we used to work out together 2-3x per week (one track workout, one tempo/fartlek, one long run) and then 1-2 recovery/easy runs. Still sticking to that schedule but am doing on my own now. Before I joined, I’d find running workouts online just to mix things up from steady state running and found it made me much faster. For strength, it’s a grab bag. I have been doing a lot of the free trials for some of the apps (peloton, barre,etc), along with some free workouts I find on Instagram and some Kayla Itsines/BBG style workouts. I’ve also signed up for a couple zoom classes that local studios are offering as a way to support them and actually find them really motivating.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    @sashimimaniac I've been trying out the Obe fitness app for strength and dance and Aaptiv for stretching, yoga, strength.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I got to run today! It was cooler this morning and overcast. I did about 6 miles.
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Definitely in the same boat @lightenup2016 @JMNagain! I’m good at running but bad at eating. The extra time has allowed me to ramp up my miles but I’ve still gained weight cause I’m at home with my family and somebody is always bringing out food (when I’m alone, not usually an issue but definitely bad at saying no when somebody makes a big bowl of popcorn/cookies/nachos etc and it’s right in front of me) and cocktail hour has become a daily thing. Pair that with big family style meals where I always go for seconds...goes to show you can’t outrun a bad diet! Im forgiving towards myself because I think part of it is stress- there is a lot going on in the world. But I’m in a place now where I’m okay with being a bit more conscious, and think just being aware of how much I’m actually consuming will go a long way. The little bites of stuff adds up :smile:

@sashimimaniac for running, I’m in a group and we used to work out together 2-3x per week (one track workout, one tempo/fartlek, one long run) and then 1-2 recovery/easy runs. Still sticking to that schedule but am doing on my own now. Before I joined, I’d find running workouts online just to mix things up from steady state running and found it made me much faster. For strength, it’s a grab bag. I have been doing a lot of the free trials for some of the apps (peloton, barre,etc), along with some free workouts I find on Instagram and some Kayla Itsines/BBG style workouts. I’ve also signed up for a couple zoom classes that local studios are offering as a way to support them and actually find them really motivating.

@brooklynans910 once upon a time i tried bbg but i was really weak back then and i couldn’t do certain exercises. i’m glad she has that new programme for absolute beginners now! i’m locked into my Freeletics subscription for a few more months and i’ll be checking bbg out again!
    bexdc wrote: »
    @sashimimaniac I've been trying out the Obe fitness app for strength and dance and Aaptiv for stretching, yoga, strength.

thanks @bexdc will be checking those apps out!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    check out the monthly running thread
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    I run 3 days a week and cross train M-F. I am currently starting over on my base training. You are welcome to add me 😊
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I’m working through c25k again. I got pregnant in nov 2018 and quit running altogether shortly after. I’m on week 7 now, so I’m almost up to 30 min. Straight. Same boat on losing weight. I haven’t lost any weight since the stay at home started :# I’m trying to lose another 10lbs or so. I know I’m just eating too much but ugh. I don’t want to be hungry haha
  • JMNagain
    I've added a few of you, hope that's ok.
    I am trying to run four times a week (huge laziness meant I didn't run this weekend though), and in between doing some daily yoga and a jillian michaels routine four days a week. I don't think I have a core. Genuinely! Anything like pushups, bicycle crunches etc are killing me. I know strengthening my core would help my running, so am hoping to use the lockdown period to get into a routine with some core or strength work everyday. Doesn't have the same meditative quality that running has for me though!
  • JMNagain
    In terms of apps, my runs upload to strava automatically from my garmin watch, which I love. before that, I sued run double, because it had great training plans like C25K, bridge to 10k etc. I've also used runkeeper in the past, but I think it got bought out by Adidas and is far too complicated now...
  • PnguinGrl73
    PnguinGrl73 Posts: 10 Member
    I’ve been continuing to keep with the running program and have been slot working up to run mor than I walk. But the weather has gotten super hot this week. Today I learned from yesterday and took a water with electrolyte powder in it with me. Now I need to learn to run early morning and not near noon. Never been so thankful in my life for AC!