Less Alcohol - MAY 2020 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Doxmum wrote: »
    AF 7/25 and 4/5 for Take a Break. Feel free to skip this post - it's not uplifting.

I had another husband-induced, massive urge to drink today. I held out for awhile but I finally caved and drank a can of 10% Brut bubbles (my go to). This time I did the deep dive into "Why did I want a drink so badly?" On reflection, I was in a lot of emotional pain because I think my husband is showing signs of cognitive decline. This is the first stage of dementia which will eventually progress to Alzheimer's or some other disabling neurodegenerative disease. The first signs are usually personality changes, irritability, short temper and impatience, along with pronounced short-term memory loss - all of which he is exhibiting. So I had a drink.

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you and your family. Has he sought treatment so far, or are you going to have to be the one to initiate the doctor visits? I hope there is some medication or therapies that will slow this process down. Cognitive decline is really taxing for family members (not to mention the patient!).
  • Tesha231
    Tesha231 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    @Womona Sounds like a fantastic weekend. Got to love the spontaneity of life sometimes, right? I really like that you help reinforce that some times simply call for a social beverage--with no guilt or regrets. I think you have this 'choice and moderation' thing down. Good job!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    As usual, I am going to try for 16-20 AF days for the month.
    My goal used to be 8AF days per month, I am pretty happy to try to cruise between 16-20 so as not to put too much pressure on myself. If I get more that is just gravy.
    I managed 22AF days somehow in April!!
    Thanks @MissMay for keeping us going : - )

Saturday May 16 - 3 drinks. Didn't make it to my 2 AF days in between, but no regrets whatsoever.
    Sunday May 17 - AF - Felt like having drinks, but resisted.
    Monday May 18 - AF - Fancied a drink, delayed enough times to resist.
    Tuesday May 19 - AF - Felt like having drinks, also felt like having Ribs or Pizza, but didn't have any of those, I can have them another day.
    Wednesday May 20 - AF - Another day of avoiding alcohol. I might have drinks tomorrow or Saturday, or both. Getting close to my 16AF days.
    Thursday May 21 - 3 drinks. Rainy, cold and windy here. It was really nice to have a Cointreau mixed with Bailey's, and some Port Salut. Calling this a "cheat" day. Really nice.
    Friday May 22 - AF - I felt rough all day from those 3 drinks last night. I guess that I am not used to it anymore.
    Saturday May 23 - AF - I have some guys coming to work on my property tomorrow, so I want to be bright and alert. Otherwise I would have had drinks today.
    Sunday May 24 - A bunch of drinks and music making with the work crew. Drinking some water now, hoping not to puke, and hoping not to feel like *kitten* tomorrow. I like the drinks while they are happening, but the after effects are not really good. Could be that I have grown to be not used to it anymore.
    Monday May 25 - AF - I didn't feel great today after drinks yesterday. I pretty much don't eat during the daytime except for berries and coffee in the morning, so when I do indulge in alcohol it it usually on an empty stomach. I don't feel lousy the next day every time I have drinks, but moreso than I used to.
    Tuesday Mary 26 - AF - Felt like having drinks after going very hard in my yard today. Yep, the 6 minute trick repeated quite a few times. As I look at my posts, I didn't feel well the next day the last 2 times out of 3 that I had drinks.

19AF days out of 26 days so far