No weight loss this week :/

13»

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    focusing on the long term is really about the only way to maintain sanity in this weight loss process. You really have to rise above and see the forest and not just stare at the trees. We all understand the frustrations of stalls, plateaus, scale not cooperating, and its even worse for us females who deal with contrary bodies and hormones that like to screw with our heads.

I stepped on the scale this morning and saw a 2.5 lb rise since yesterday. But for once, it didn't bother me as much because I know there is absolutely no way I gained that much in 24 hours. It's water weight and can be caused by a myriad of factors - I'm eating more because I'm on a diet break; I didn't wear constriction socks yesterday; its humid today; TOM is arriving in around 72 hours....so many things can lead to that scale jump, and it just takes patience to wait it out.

And because this is a long term project, it really is best to focus on sustainability and finding ways to compromise with yourself to make it as painless as possible. Willpower and torturing yourself will fail in the end; the process is much easier to keep going through the tough times when your routine isn't difficult.

(and I'm certainly not sitting around in a crop top - with my muffin top sack of empty skin, there is no way I'll be caught dead in a crop top! I still have at minimum 75 lbs to lose after dropping 130 already and its been 3 years now for that first 130)

It really does make it worse, though, when you are on a time limit, so I feel your pain there. I just turned 40 and had given serious consideration to treatments, but the cut off date is 45 years of age, and when I looked at my situation, I realized that there was just no way I was going to be in the physical or financial shape to be ready, especially since it could take as much as 2 years for success once I started, meaning I really had less than 3 years. That was a bitter pill to swallow, for sure!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    JK1542020 wrote: »

I think what many people dont understand is that it's all very easy to sit on the other side of weight loss, in a crop top drinking your green juice with your toned abs and say oooh but weight loss isn't linear. And its true I know it isnt. But its extremely difficult to stomach when I'm 5 stone overweight trying really hard to just lose 1lb and I'm sweating every day working put, cooking meals i would rather stuff into my bird feeder and missing out on things I enjoy and the scale isnt moving.

We're not different people than we were when we were bigger. We're just a different size. We remember what it was like to feel frustrated or confused or fed up with weight loss. If we're saying "weight loss isn't linear," it's because . . . weight loss isn't linear and understanding that helped us manage *our* frustration while we were losing weight and people are hoping it will help you too.

I mean, I did wear a crop top when I worked out this morning. But then I ate some roasted potatoes and baked beans, not green juice.

I feel like the bigger issue is that if you feel like your weight loss efforts are some tedious slog where you're eating foods you hate and missing out on everything you like, it's going to be harder to get through the times when the scale isn't moving as rapidly as you'd like. It just isn't going to move every week and if you're seeing that as a "lost week" then getting to the end is going to be really, really, really rough. So maybe focus on finding some foods that don't make each day feel like torture?

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited May 2020
    po68w2jh5aw1.jpeg

That is my weight chart for the month of May. Each of those horizontal lines is a pound. In the span of less than a week, my weight has fluctuated a little over 8 pounds. My trendline is now flatlined. I’m still losing.

I am in a deficit (I’ve been at this for years and have a really good handle on my calorie burn, my food is all weighed and logged so I’m solid on intake as well). I’m not experimenting with anything. I still have plenty to lose (so also no crop top, green juice and I have too much fat to even know if I have abs in there).

The following things are affecting my scale weight: food weight, water weight, female hormones, water weight, stress hormones, water weight, water from extra sodium, water weight, water from extra carbs, water weight, water being used to repair muscles from workouts, water weight. Did I mention water weight?

A typical bottle of water weighs a little more than a pound. Distribute that through your whole body. Do you notice it? Of course not. Now imagine how much water weight there might be when you’re noticeably bloated from TOM or heat/humidity or a salty meal or anything else such that you can’t easily take your rings on and off? How many water bottles (at a pound each) do you think that represents?

This will ALL level off and balance out. Just like I had a larger drop last weekend (the low point is the weight I pay attention to) vs nothing at all the week before, eventually this will all catch up. I am still losing fat. When the other factors balance out-when I’m no longer eating ham every day (salt), when my stress and other hormones balance out; when I get acclimated to the heat/humidity...ALL of this will balance out.

This is an infuriating and frustrating process. For everyone. There’s nothing to be jealous of. We aren’t seeing the scale move the way we know it should be either. But we have stayed the course and it has eventually leveled out. The best we can do is just keep doing the work and knowing that’s the best we can possibly do. The results will happen.