Food to cure an under active thyroid and diabetes 2

Options
thernie2019
thernie2019 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I have had an undeactive thyroid for a decade now and I have developed diabetes 2 few years ago. I have changed my diet to an all vegan diet and was wondering if anyone had cured their under active thyroid and diabetes and if they had a vegan meal plan I could follow. Thks

Replies

• cantorious
    cantorious Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eat foods containing iodine. Sea weed is great. Also studies have shown cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower block uptake of iodine, i dont know how true this is I still consume plenty. Greek yogurt is great too but Idk how it fits in with vegan lifestyle since it's dairy
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Synthroid since 1999. It's got few side effects. Be happy.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are many types of "underactive thyroid", which is hypothyroidism. Generally there is no cure via diet - not via overall diet, special individual foods, or anything like that.

This is a good thread here, from an expert, about hypothyroidism:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/

I've been hypothyroid for nearly 20 years. With proper medication, which is easily available by prescription, and not expensive, I feel and function exactly as I did before I had the condition.

If you don't test as hypothyroid (with a full panel, not just TSH), but someone is telling you you have a sluggish thyroid because you struggle to lose weight, they're almost certainly incorrect.

I won't much speak to T2D, because I don't have it, but will observe that some people here reduce need for medications by attaining a healthy body weight, and can then manage the condition primarily or entirely via diet.

This. If you are truly hypothyroid, there is no cure aside from taking thyroid medication. I strongly advise against people trying to treat this condition with diet. Many health conditions can be managed with the right diet. Hypothyroidism is not one of them.

This. If the condition is auto-immune then too little iodine doesn't play a role. This is actually the main cause for being hypothyroid in most western countries where too little iodine is not a problem. Then the body is attacking the thyroid gland and destroying it slowly. You can't grow your thyroid back. Gone is gone.