Cutting advice/ growing glutes

imxnianne
imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to start cutting. I know with this routine, it’s all in the kitchen to minimize body fat. Calorie deficit and as well as strength training to build muscles.

To all the body builders here, what’s the best way to do the excersizes weekly/daily?

What muscles do you work out each day of the week as well as, how long and reps and sets and weights?

I want to try and grow my glutes and been doing squats. I’m able only to do 110 max at the moment but do not know my actual max since I did do hip abductions the day prior. Since covid just happened, it’ll be my only time I’ll be able to try it out.

How long of rest days before trying again to gain more weight each rep/set?

Hopefully this made sense. My legs are pretty moderate for lifting. I just don’t know how much pressure I should be trying for to even do 180lbs in squats or even how many reps/set. People say things differently.

I’m also trying to lose belly fat, since my body fat is all stored on the upper part and mid section of my body. Any good programs to do? Protein shakes to take, if there’s a certain ingredient to look for? Heard amino acid helps build glutes.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks

My body fat percentage is at 23%
Height is 166cm
Weight 130lbs
Age 32

I’ve gained 4% bf, as well as 11lbs in the last 7 months. Trying to get back at it.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    First thing I would do is I would highly recommend following a lifting program. A program that has you working the glutes at least 2-3x. See this link here for a list:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A proper designed program will tell you how many reps to do, days to workout, rest and all that. Also the key to progress will be lifting heavy for you. Progressive overload, doing more over time (weight, reps, volume etc). Don't get bogged down with how much you can squat right now. For reference, I don't squat much over 100lbs and have had no issues building my glutes with that and other exercises.

Growing glutes will not only come from proper training but providing the calories necessary to grow muscle, so either eating in a surplus (ideally) or at least at maintenance (this is a good option for your stats, where you can build muscle and lose fat slowly over time). If you really want to cut down, muscle growth is usually not very significant, but you can help retain the muscle you have to shape it. After cutting you can run a bulk cycle to grow. Then rinse and repeat until you are happy. Just make sure you set a reasonable calorie deficit and don't try to cut down too quickly.

Also there is no certain ingredients to help the glutes specifically, for muscle growth/retention I would recommend getting adequate protein at least 0.8-1g per lb bodyweight. Protein supplements can help you hit that goal more easily but they are definitely not necessary.

Are you planning on competing? If so I would start to think about finding a coach to help you with your goals and training. (By the way I am not a bodybuilder and I do not compete but there are many on here who do who can offer more advice on the whole process of that is something you are interested in).

• imxnianne
    Very informative and detailed advice. Appreciating every bit!

I am not going to be competing, it will be more for myself and I want to push how far I could go with psychical appearance.

Wouldn’t bulking after cutting, stay at the same weight/ back to square one? Supplements like whey protein, pre and post will help with muscle recovery as well as creatine powder. Don’t know if the creatine powder is wise?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Sardelsa gave you some great advice as always.
    For your glutes you might want to Google Bret Contreras and look at his Strong Curves program. Nothing beats hi rep squats for building your legs.
    If your bulking then cutting is done properly the end result is more muscle / less fat. If you feel you have fat to loose now you may want to re-comp , keep your cals near maintainence and lift.
    Whey protein is fine , protein and carbs are more beneficial pre and post work out, some will disagree with me on this statement. It's more important to have your nutritition on point for the rest of the day.
    Creatine is fine to use, perfectly safe and cheap to buy. Get plain Creatine Monohydrate - no need for a fancy version
  • sardelsa
    imxnianne wrote: »
    Very informative and detailed advice. Appreciating every bit!

I am not going to be competing, it will be more for myself and I want to push how far I could go with psychical appearance.

Wouldn’t bulking after cutting, stay at the same weight/ back to square one? Supplements like whey protein, pre and post will help with muscle recovery as well as creatine powder. Don’t know if the creatine powder is wise?

It might seem like you are going back to square one but you are building more each time. Sometimes it's like two steps forward one step back, but you are still one step ahead than when you started since you build muscle and change your body composition.

They can help but remember supplements will be the sprinkles on top, not the cake, not even the icing. You want to make sure your programming, sleep, nutrition is all dialed in before you start to worry about the extras. Whey is convenient and not too expensive but it won't replace adequate nutrition. Creatine is pretty cheap and worth looking into as well (I have never used it so I can't say if it personally helps or not).
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Just to visually reinforce what @sardelsa wrote, here's an illustration of the importance of what you intake when building muscle. Supplements are the least important aspect of what you do to fuel your muscle growth.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutrition-Priorities-5-Supplements-Rippedbody.com_.png
  • imxnianne
    I appreciate the feedback. I’ve been doing it finely then, just need to focus and maintain the journey of it. Patience is the key I guess. Was just curious on how long it would take and how look it took for others to see results. Again, probably going to depend on genetics as well.
  • sardelsa
    imxnianne wrote: »
    I appreciate the feedback. I’ve been doing it finely then, just need to focus and maintain the journey of it. Patience is the key I guess. Was just curious on how long it would take and how look it took for others to see results. Again, probably going to depend on genetics as well.

Yup absolutely. Just be patient and be consistent and you will make progress.