Resistance training calories

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Back in the day every time someone added a new Exercise to the database, it became "Public." Everyone could use it. That way the database was a crowd-sourced thing and it grew quickly. Most of those exercises and numbers were not entered by Myfitnesspal's admin. They were entered by members - so just like the Food database is way off on 80% the food, so it is also off on the Exercise database.

You can create your own new "Exercise" and then use that going forward OR you can edit the calories in one that's already there.

I guess I never looked through the database entries en masse to discover public created ones.

I know looking through now makes me wonder if some of those are member entered, as I don't think they are in the METS database.
    Then again I recall MFP announcing they had added like Curves circuit training and other specific ones in the past - and from math all they did was using an existing METS entry and called it what they wanted.
    They've probably done the same with other entries.

So people don't have to translate what they are doing into what is already exists - just add a new description with same workout.

Now - I did notice on the website method anyway - when you go to database to search, you can also go off to the right and scroll through drop-down list of all entries - cardio with calorie burn rates, and what are the strength moves that should not have any.

And if you pick an entry that has a burn rate, and then move to an entry that does not - it keeps the prior burn rate.

Well, this whole effort did make me clean up my self-created workouts since based on ancient info and way of doing things, deleted all but 1. So some good came from it.

• Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Alright, I just created a "work out on MFP. Let's take a look, shall we?
    Bench press 3x8 150 lbs
    Squat 3x12 200 lbs
    Barbell row 3x8 90lbs
    Wide grip bicep curls 3x8 60lbs
    Tricep extensions 3x8 30 lbs
    Shoulder shrugs 3x8 90 pounds
    Sitting calf raises 3x15 45lbs
    Lat pulldown 3x8 50 pounds
    Plated sit-ups 3x20 25 pounds
    Shoulder press 3x8 80 lbs
    Wrist extensions 3x8 25 lbs
    Total time: 59 minutes
    Total calories: 401

No freaking way is that exercise set burning over 400 calories.
    Sorry, but no it's not.

Why? Well because each rep takes roughly four (4) seconds
    When you multiply that time by the actual time under tension or more simply put " your time working" you get 19.8 minutes..
    20 minutes of work broken up by 60-90 second rests, adjusting music, saying hello or drinking water will not get you over 400 calories expended.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am not going to recite every location I use for information. If you feel that the sources "vaguely" mentioned are not enough for you to hang your hat on then, please just keep it moving. The fact is that MFP lists an hour or so of resistance workouts as burning way more calories than those workouts actually do. You don't need a calculator or a Harvard doctor to know that 8 or so exercises of 3 sets of 8-12 reps does not burn 500 or more calories, common sense should be more than enough for that determination.

So, no. Don't use 500 calories.

But you know that.

If you have a calorie level you want to use, just change the calories in the box when you choose an exercise.

Back in the day every time someone added a new Exercise to the database, it became "Public." Everyone could use it. That way the database was a crowd-sourced thing and it grew quickly. Most of those exercises and numbers were not entered by Myfitnesspal's admin. They were entered by members - so just like the Food database is way off on 80% the food, so it is also off on the Exercise Database.

You can create your own new "Exercise" and then use that going forward OR you can edit the calories in one that's already there.

Then you use it for a while and see if you get the results in your weight that you would expect.

Adjust if needed...as always.

I did not know that it was open-sourced, that explains a lot about the numbers. Thanks for passing that along.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    And when you log an hour under the category I supplied you get what number?
  • heybales
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bench press 3x8 150 lbs
    Squat 3x12 200 lbs
    Barbell row 3x8 90lbs

Sorry, but no it's not.

When you multiply that time by the actual time under tension or more simply put " your time working" you get 19.8 minutes..
    20 minutes of work broken up by 60-90 second rests, adjusting music, saying hello or drinking water will not get you over 400 calories expended.

Where are you accomplishing this that provides a calorie estimate for those entries?
    This is why you have everyone flumuxed and unbelieving.

Here are my screen shots. No calorie burn calculated on those entries.
    a8wyk4o4ew38.png

n2uu6w48nkaw.png

Even if I create an exercise and correctly choose strength training - no calories.
    936djaovua0t.png

Even if I create a strength lift incorrectly with cardio - I would have to enter the calories.
    9b2kquxh53qr.png

Where are you finding this new fangled ability that no one seems to know about?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    And if you pick an entry that has a burn rate, and then move to an entry that does not - it keeps the prior burn rate.

Yeah @heybales , this part is annoying.

I just created new exercises for myself and I don't even use any of the Myfitnesspal ones. That's the Beauty of this website. Regardless of whether or not previously crowd-sourced (like in 2009) or if they came from METS, I just don't trust 'em.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Bench press 3x8 150 lbs
    Squat 3x12 200 lbs
    Barbell row 3x8 90lbs

Sorry, but no it's not.

Where are you accomplishing this that provides a calorie estimate for those entries?
    This is why you have everyone flumuxed and unbelieving.

Here are my screen shots. No calorie burn calculated on those entries.
    a8wyk4o4ew38.png

n2uu6w48nkaw.png

Even if I create an exercise and correctly choose strength training - no calories.
    936djaovua0t.png

Even if I create a strength lift incorrectly with cardio - I would have to enter the calories.
    9b2kquxh53qr.png

Where are you finding this new fangled ability that no one seems to know about?

I went into work out routines and clicked build routine. Then saved the work out and it comes up with the workout created.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    I am trying to post a screenshot of it but I can't seem to upload a photo when I am in a thread. I might be doing something wrong.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19546586/jumping-rope-workout-circuit-exercises/

(For reference) Jumping rope burns about 10 calories a minute. So, I think anyone would agree that jumping a rope for 20 minutes should and would burn more calories than a weightlifting session that consists of 70% isolation exercises. With 90 second breaks in between sets.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm wondering if you could actually log that routine into the exercise database where the calories would actually count.

Because in the cardio database you have either the line items with calorie burns that everyone is talking about that are correct actually.

And you have the strength workout logging that has no calories associated with it.

Those are the only 2 items that end up in the Exercise Diary.

And with only calories from the cardio database (Strength Training, Circuit training, ect) adding to daily total - whatever that Add a workout is won't really effect your eating goal since it can't be logged.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    I'm wondering if you could actually log that routine into the exercise database where the calories would actually count.

Because in the cardio database you have either the line items with calorie burns that everyone is talking about that are correct actually.

And you have the strength workout logging that has no calories associated with it.

Those are the only 2 items that end up in the Exercise Diary.

And with only calories from the cardio database (Strength Training, Circuit training, ect) adding to daily total - whatever that Add a workout it won't really affect your eating goal since it can't be logged.

Are you using the app or website? I have the options of strength training, cardio or Create work out on my cell phone app. I used to create a workout then it has me put in each exercise. Then when I save the routine it lists time and calories. I am a paid member too (not sure if that effects it or not)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It must be a premium feature. I don't have that.

You on Apple or Android platform?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

I'm on the free version of the Android app and I can see the feature he's referring to when I attempt to manually log an exercise (never saw it before because I usually don't log workouts manually). I see three options: I can do strength, cardio, or build my own routine.

Once I choose the option to build my own routine, I can search for exercises in the database and then add them. I just have to enter the reps and estimated time. It then gives me total calories estimated for the session and I have the option to save it to repeat later.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    OK, now that you've been specific, I understand what you're looking at.

It's the (quite new) "Workout Routines" option in the phone app (I'm on Android). It's sort of separate from the exercise component of the diary.

I went through the process of creating the small strength workout I've been doing lately. It says it will take me 46 minutes, and burn 264 calories. It takes me about 2/3 that time (I'm impatient), and the standard MFP "cardio" estimate for strength training would give me more like 88 calories based on that duration. I have no idea where it got the 264, which I agree seems very high.

It looks like I have no way to override the calorie estimate when I build the routine (or maybe I just don't understand how to use it, because it's new). I can edit the duration, and that affects the calorie estimate. (Which does seem odd, to me. I get how a METS-based estimate that asssumes standard rests might be workable, but I don't really understand this . . . but I'm no expert. If the difference were the BMR difference for the time change, it might make sense, but it isn't. Switching from 46 to 30 minutes changes the estimate from 264 to 177.)

From within "Workout Routines" it will let me log that routine to my diary, which does indeed log those calories.

Yes, this all seems goofy, and (on a METS basis) it seems like an overestimate.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's the (quite new) "Workout Routines" option in the phone app (I'm on Android). It's sort of separate from the exercise component of the diary.

I went through the process of creating the small strength workout I've been doing lately. It says it will take me 46 minutes, and burn 264 calories. It takes me about 2/3 that time (I'm impatient), and the standard MFP "cardio" estimate for strength training would give me more like 88 calories based on that duration. I have no idea where it got the 264, which I agree seems very high.

It looks like I have no way to override the calorie estimate when I build the routine (or maybe I just don't understand how to use it, because it's new). I can edit the duration, and that affects the calorie estimate. (Which does seem odd, to me. I get how a METS-based estimate that assumes standard rests might be workable, but I don't really understand this . . . but I'm no expert. If the difference were the BMR difference for the time change, it might make sense, but it isn't. Switching from 46 to 30 minutes changes the estimate from 264 to 177.)

From within "Workout Routines" it will let me log that routine to my diary, which does indeed log those calories.

I am had you saw that and I am not crazy 😅
    I did get jumped on by a few in here though...
  • Whydahdad71
    Options

I am on Android
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, so much for MFP's own FAQ on why they don't provide calorie counts for specific lifts.

Not only go against their own reasoning - but blow right by it.

I guess the standard advice though to log Strength Training from the cardio database stands as a reliable method with the small calorie burn that is realistic.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It looks like I have no way to override the calorie estimate when I build the routine (or maybe I just don't understand how to use it, because it's new). I can edit the duration, and that affects the calorie estimate. (Which does seem odd, to me. I get how a METS-based estimate that assumes standard rests might be workable, but I don't really understand this . . . but I'm no expert. If the difference were the BMR difference for the time change, it might make sense, but it isn't. Switching from 46 to 30 minutes changes the estimate from 264 to 177.)

Maybe if you had been more specific with more detail from the beginning, you wouldn't have gotten the pushback.
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Maybe if you had been more specific with more detail from the beginning, you wouldn't have gotten the pushback.

Yup...
  • Whydahdad71
    Options
    Well, so much for MFP's own FAQ on why they don't provide calorie counts for specific lifts.

Not only go against their own reasoning - but blow right by it.

I guess the standard advice though to log Strength Training from the cardio database stands as a reliable method with the small calorie burn that is realistic.

I will look into logging that way because the other way just doesn't cut it.