Sugar and Science Dilemma

So this is somewhat of a play of topics but I will present two scenarios. Subject A we will call bob. Subject B we will call Sam. They are both on a calorie DEFICIT but bob is only getting the minimum required of .8g protein per pound of bw and the rest of his calories are coming from PURE SUGAR. Sam on the other hand is getting all his calories from "clean and natural produce(nothing man made or factory made) and 1g protein per pound bw(so fruit sugars are basically his only primary source of sugars). As these subjects are both in a deficit, what effect does the pure sugar vs the natural products have on the subjects. My assumption AT FIRST was that bob would lose fat but more muscle due to a need for protein but thats why i made sure in this experiment he would get the minimum requirement. And that Sam would also lose fat but retain muscle due to CICO following his required protein. So the dilemma is, would Bob lose less fat... or even possibly GAIN fat because of his huge amounts of sugar?(let's just go with 300g so basically 1200 calories from pure sugar and the rest from protein to make up for the average deficit of 1800-2000 calories).
Would love to hear some genuine responses to this scenario. I'm interested in maybe studying nutrition in the future so this might be of use haha

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Hmmm........I don't think it makes any difference because it won't happen. If you want strange scenarios just stick around. We get some real doozies, some things that no aspiring nutritionist could ever dream up.

You mean someone won't hit a protein target and then have all the rest of their calorie from pure sugar. I'm shocked!! I though this happened all the time. Now I know what I've been doing wrong all this time...

There goes my plan to market my amazing chicken breast, egg white, and simple syrup smoothie diet.

Change it from simple syrup to maple syrup, and that sounds like a real winner.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Hmmm........I don't think it makes any difference because it won't happen. If you want strange scenarios just stick around. We get some real doozies, some things that no aspiring nutritionist could ever dream up.

You mean someone won't hit a protein target and then have all the rest of their calorie from pure sugar. I'm shocked!! I though this happened all the time. Now I know what I've been doing wrong all this time...

There goes my plan to market my amazing chicken breast, egg white, and simple syrup smoothie diet.

:D
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    harper16 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but maple syrup has trace minerals and fails to meet the "pure sugar" standard of my carefully calibrated weight loss plan.

Will the chicken and eggs at least be organic?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but maple syrup has trace minerals and fails to meet the "pure sugar" standard of my carefully calibrated weight loss plan.

Would chicken and egg even be possible, being that neither is pure protein and would mean you would also be eating .... fat!

Jane said egg white. Not egg. Yellow goopy part not allowed. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Would chicken and egg even be possible, being that neither is pure protein and would mean you would also be eating .... fat!

Jane said egg white. Not egg. Yellow goopy part not allowed. ;)

Even egg white has a teeny, weeny amount of fat in it. Less than a gram but still totally unacceptable for an experiment such as this ;)

Darn it, back to the drawing board!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Ok, first off. You have to equate protein and fiber in the diets to be fair. Second, this has been tested pretty close to this scenario. As I stated above when protein and fiber are equated, impossible on thisbe situation weight loss is not significantly different from high sugar diets and non high sugar diets. Case closed imho.