I sabotage myself when I start to lose the pounds😭

Options
Hi guys,
First of all I wanted to start properly this month, but already have failed as I was at a friends bbq yesterday and its not like i couldnt ask for seperate food ,I was also out at a family gathering saturday and the same happened there, I feel like everytime i start the diet on a fresh monday morning ,i wreck it up. Also by time the evenings hit ,i am wreck tired and unmotivated ,i dont know what to do and i get upset in myself easily ,im not an emotional eater at all!! But today i had the perfect diet all day and i fitted in a small treat but i still had like 148 calories left over and then boom i crashed it due to getting upset today over somthing and im just regretting it all now ,i dont know what to do ,im so lost.

Replies

• Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've read on here before that one bad day is less important than what you chose to do the day after.

So you've had a couple of not great days. Try to make the week a mostly positive week. I have found that pre planning things like a bbq really useful. I'll fill up on things like salad that are there so I'm not really hungry and dive straight into a pile of things. Then I'll just be really moderate. I'll probably still go over on my calories but I log everything and over the next few days I make it up by doing a bit more exercise and eating a bit less. Then that 100 odd calories under each day balances out the splurge.

I also have done the whole rodeo of using special events to go off the rails. It's not sustainable. Special events happen a lot. I'd work on finding a way to make them work around your new way of eating rather than just writing them off every time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    How big is your calorie deficit, and how much did mfp give you? Maybe you're trying to achieve too much in too little time. If you go a bit slower you have more calories, and more space for nice things. With enough calories you could for example have a choice of deserts/evening snacks every day ranging from 50-200 calories. Could be a big chunk of water melon, a chocolate mousse, a vanilla pudding with strawberry sauce, tirami su, a low fat yogurt with fruit, or other nice things. These at least are what I have in the fridge at the moment. And I have one of those every single day, and it makes me happy.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Having a 'perfect' diet is not necessary unless you are a professional athlete and often detrimental to your mental health. I have been there before where I feared going to family events or out with my friends because I couldn't weigh and track everything and I would end up bingeing and then hating myself. It's not a nice way to live. Don't be too hard on yourself and maybe don't try and restrict yourself so much. If I am invited to a party I know I will overeat and drink etc. I try to remember that it is only one day and over all if the rest of the time I am consistent it won't be a huge problem. If I am trying to lose weight in that period I would adjust my calorie intake for the rest of the week to be a bit lower so my overall weekly intake is still a deficit. Dieting shouldn't be everything. You should be able to have a life without panicking over food. Try to be less hard on yourself and focus on positive aspects of your diet instead of where you are 'failing' (I put it in quotes because a diet is just what you eat so you can't really fail)
  • manyasin
    manyasin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to start off by saying we have all been there, you are not a failure, you've just had a bad few days. The important thing to do now is to accept it, put it behind you and not overthink things. I will also say that this is likely going to happen again, because that's life! Weight loss journeys are not a straight line down to your goal weight, and even though you say you are not an emotional eater, the way we eat is very closely linked to our daily lives. Many of us are emotional eaters without realizing it.
    I recommend that you stop "the diet starts Monday" mantra. It leaves you open to overindulge over the weekend, causing more guilt. Pick it back up the next day, otherwise one "bad" day will very easily turn into "one bad weekend", then "one bad week". You are allowed to enjoy a barbecue without feeling low about it afterwards, as much as we are wanting to lose weight you are still entitled to enjoy socializing with family and friends.
    The next steps would be to sit down and have a look at your diet plan. Are you planning meals ahead of time? If you are tired then it might be helpful to bulk cook a few meals, which can easily be microwaved up when you're hungry. Find healthy recipes that are quick and easy to cook. Remember you are still allowed to eat "treat foods" as long as they are within your calorie count, I feel like there is a lot of guilt surrounding eating things that are not considered "healthy", but you are more likely to give up if you keep restricting yourself so much. A diet doesn't have to be picture perfect to be considered successful, as long as you are happy and on the way to reaching your goal weight, that's the important thing.