My love affair is over

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,509 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit versa .... never had problems ...sorry you are .....I gave my garmin vivo smart to my daughter and never had problems with that
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    No issues with Fitbit for me yet. Resets and support and free replacements have fixed past issues

Keeping in mind all the issues with apple & MFP, the love for apple watch above cannot solely be based on connectivity to mfp.

If I was staying in the non iOS ecosystem, and not going Fitbit, Garmin would be my choice especially when taking into account lack of frequent reports re sync to MFP issues

Garmin watch to Garmin app will still have issues if the culprit is your phone Bluetooth or signal interference
  • CharlieICURN
    CharlieICURN Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with my Fitbit syncing and not functioning properly. I had it for over a year when the problems started. I called the company and they sent me a brand new one (an upgrade actually) for free.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I've had no syncing issues from tracker to app etc
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The latest is they've told me it's a Bluetooth issue with my phone that they only provide support or guarantee it works with phones that have Bluetooth 4.0. I have 4.2 which I thought would have been better/newer but obviously not. So may be a new phone rather than a new tracker :) thanks for all the suggestions I've had a nice surf through the Garmin website anyway :p
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been using Garmin products since ~2000 when their lineup consisted mainly of GPS devices for navigational purposes, so I'm biased. Currently I'm using the Vivosmart 4 for sleep and general health diagnostics, which it really thrives in those areas and has one of the sharper displays in the business - and still rocking a Fenix 3 after ~5yrs for running, biking, kayaking, tidal and celestial data. But if you're using Garmin devices, in addition to Garmin Connect which everybody uses to wirelessly upload workouts, you must also have Garmin Express as well for updates and to manage applications on your device which you couldn't otherwise by synching via Connect. If you're a Garmin user and you're having data issues, more likely than not the solution is to connect your device to Express (I do it via a dongle / USB cord connecting my device to my laptop) and clear your device's cache - this step does NOT delete your workouts. Hope this helps some. @kiwiroz I would say, to address your OP, I would recommend troubleshooting a bit more before ditching your Fitbit - they have a good reputation and I'd like to think there's a solution for what you're experiencing.
  • kiwiroz
    Options
    pfprimo wrote: »
    I've been using Garmin products since ~2000 when their lineup consisted mainly of GPS devices for navigational purposes, so I'm biased. Currently I'm using the Vivosmart 4 for sleep and general health diagnostics, which it really thrives in those areas and has one of the sharper displays in the business - and still rocking a Fenix 3 after ~5yrs for running, biking, kayaking, tidal and celestial data. But if you're using Garmin devices, in addition to Garmin Connect which everybody uses to wirelessly upload workouts, you must also have Garmin Express as well for updates and to manage applications on your device which you couldn't otherwise by synching via Connect. If you're a Garmin user and you're having data issues, more likely than not the solution is to connect your device to Express (I do it via a dongle / USB cord connecting my device to my laptop) and clear your device's cache - this step does NOT delete your workouts. Hope this helps some. @kiwiroz I would say, to address your OP, I would recommend troubleshooting a bit more before ditching your Fitbit - they have a good reputation and I'd like to think there's a solution for what you're experiencing.

Thanks for the tips yes I'm psyching myself up to do a hard reset on it tomorrow which is the latest fix they have suggested but they say the problem is caused by my phone that its not one of the ones that the tracker is tested against so no guarantees therefore it will work properly
  • CoMoKate
    CoMoKate Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another Garmin vote. Mine is pretty basic, but I've had my Garmin Forerunner 35 almost a year and love it!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Spendy, but I switched from Fitbit to an Apple watch and I love it!

I have an Apple Watch and it's been the best gift I ever got! Love mine! But I'm an Apple guy so I guess I'm part of the Evil Empire already... ;)

I do highly recommend it though.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As a die-hard Garmin and Android guy, I've invested in too much to switch now, but I must say, that I've heard nothing but accolades for the Apple watch, it must be something special. Maybe I can get my wife to buy in when she'll eventually be ready to move on from her Samsung Galaxy, and Garmin Vivofit 4 (not Garmin's best effort, unfortunately) and I'll just admire from afar.... :smile:
  • heffalump2014
    heffalump2014 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Miband which is excellent !
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I swapped from iwatch to the versa 2 and it appeared to have some issues with syncing in the beginning, bought brand new. It took doing a forced/hard reset a few times in order for it to work properly, I haven’t had any issues since
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i have the charge 3 over a year and i really love it. it was the only one in my price point that gives an all day burn. its also nice an small and more feminine looking. i do have some problems with syncing on occassion. its also a battery intensive *kitten* on my phone. when i'm having syncing issues, i turn my wifi of and on on my phone. turn my blue tooth off and one on my phone and then manually sync a couple times and it resolves itself.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    kiwiroz wrote: »

Thanks for the tips yes I'm psyching myself up to do a hard reset on it tomorrow which is the latest fix they have suggested but they say the problem is caused by my phone that its not one of the ones that the tracker is tested against so no guarantees therefore it will work properly
    Back before becoming an Apple Watch convert I had a problem with my FitBit and Bluetooth. Basically what was happening was that I had too many Bluetooth things connected and happening at once. The FitBit was conflicted on what it should be connecting to. I moved away from all the Bluetooth things (iPad, speakers, computer, headphones etc.) unpaired the FitBit and phone, reset/rebooted both and they connected flawlessly. Not sure if this will help but it’s worth a try.
  • kiwiroz
    Options
    Oh my I updated the App (which I thought I had set up to do automatically) and I've had a couple of days with no issues. Shame on me for not checking that first :# Woops
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I just wanted something very basic, so I got a $30 LetsCom tracker on Amazon. I've been pleased so far. The tracker syncs with it own app but can pair with other apps and share data such as Apple Health, though I choose not to use that feature and prefer to manually enter my exercise calories.

I wish the display was brighter - in sunny weather its really hard to see, but I finally figured out how to get the phone app to work, and I like that better anyway. One bug though is that if I want to start my activity on the phone app, I must let the tracker sync up first; I've lost a few miles off activity because I didn't realize that it didn't start when it said it did! I've had a few times where it stopped itself for no reason, but that hasn't happened lately.

But I don't need a lot of fancy things - I walk and I do cardio and an elliptical and that's it. I don't care for tracking sleep, and I don't want something that starts and stops automatically based on heart rate and I don't desire to have it working with MFP to track exercise calories, so cheap and basic works well for me :)
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the minority, I really like my Galaxy Active. It does everything I want it to do and it came in Rose Gold.
  • Aaron949
    Aaron949 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I stepped all the way down and went back to a LifeTrak Core. No Bluetooth, punch in numbers on MFP manually, and change the battery once a year. Extremely low tech, but I never have to fight it.
  • Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have only had an Apple watch and I love it as well.

There is one annoying feature though - no auto-pause. You have to manually pause/restart if you stop running/cycling, etc.

It does count swimming laps wonderfully though...which is awesome.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    But if you're using Garmin devices, in addition to Garmin Connect which everybody uses to wirelessly upload workouts, you must also have Garmin Express as well for updates and to manage applications on your device which you couldn't otherwise by synching via Connect.

Not so with some of their devices. My vivosmart hr+ updates everything via its pairing with my phone (at least I assume that's how it receives firmware updates). Not had to touch garmin express since I stopped using my forerunner years ago, thankfully!