Women over 40- Let's lose 20 pounds!

Replies

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    @jo_nz Where do you live that your kids are back to school? That must be a weird feeling after 8 weeks. Our kids have been off since March 16th and I doubt they will go back to school this year. You have a great goal for this week. Grocery shopping and staying on top of my own plan while the rest of the family is home and eating differently than usual has been hard. I find I will make a plan and even prep, then go to get my food and someone else has eaten it...I have three teenagers in the house, so our grocery bill has gone up incredibly over the past couple of months.

I'm in New Zealand - being a small country and relatively isolated, we have been able to (we hope) get things fairly under control. We had a strict lockdown from 25 March to 27 April, and then a slightly eased version from then until 13 May. We are still in "alert level 2" which is mainly around safe practices and physical distancing.
    Time will tell if that's enough. Covid19's not totally gone, but currently very few new cases.

It's pretty nerve-wracking to send the kids off to school - the general population can only meet in groups up to 10 (numbers being reviewed next week), so having school classes with 25+ kids in them, and schools with hundreds/thousands of pupils seem odd.

My 2 seemed to have a good day at school yesterday though - most things aren't too different for them, just more handwashing and sanitiser. There will be a bit of a settling-in stage while the teachers figure out where all the kids are up to - some would have had more or less access to learning while in lockdown.

Parents now have to wait outside the entrance at DD's school (used to go in and wait near their classrooms), and they have closed off all but one gate - there was a huge crowd out the front yesterday at the end of the day! Poor kids having to navigate out through that and try to keep 2m distance!
    I was halfway down the road anyway, as my dog is a big fan of social distancing at the best of times (she's really nervous about people and noises and crowds).

• Mahoganylit
    Mahoganylit Posts: 28 Member
    Hello ladies!

delighted with my first week back on plan losing -3.5lb so only 48.5 to go!

I definitely find planning the next day’s meals an essential part of keeping me focused.

Wow losing 3.5 pounds in a week. Awesome awesome awesome. I agree meal planning is a huge part of this journey. Happy Losing. 🤸‍♀️
  • LHCO98
    LHCO98 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm 40, I'll be 41 in September. And I have about 45-50lbs I want to lose.
    Ht: 5'8
    Start Weight: 196.6
    Current:193
    Goal:148
    I need some accountability over the summer, to get this weight off!! Feel free to add me as a friend!!

Also, I'm in Colorado in the United States.
  • CrumbsInMyButter
    CrumbsInMyButter Posts: 31 Member
    BAH! Weekends are the worst. We are busy setting up our backyard, planting, putting the pool (b/c no pools will be open this summer) so eating something quick but obviously not the healthiest. I am writing my goals down as I usually keep this quiet so no one can keep me accountable.

June Goal: Lose 6 lbs (end of month, I would weigh 188 lbs)
    HOW: running 3 times a week, 1 walk and tracking calories 5 days a week (yes I know 7 would be better but I need to start with a smaller number to help me mentally)

July: Lose another 6 lbs (end of the month weight : 182 lbs)
    How: running 3 times a week, 2 walk, 1 day where I do some weights and tracking calories 6 days a week

Aug: lose 6 lbs (yep - trying to be realistic) 176 lbs
    How: running 3 times a week, 2 walk, 1 day where I do some weights and tracking calories 7 days a week (no more excuses)

Sept: another 6lbs (end of the month weight : 170 lbs)
    How: running 3 times a week, 2 walk, 1 day where I do some weights and tracking calories 7 days a week

My SIL is getting married and everyone in her family is tiny. At least at 170 lbs I won't feel sooo much bigger than everyone else.

Feel free to keep me accountable! Happy Monday all!
  • BittersweetVita
    BittersweetVita Posts: 745 Member
    Great goals, CrumbsInMyButter!

Sooo, this weight loss thing is just nuts to me. I had been weighing in, stuck at 190 for three weeks (I did lose an inch over my waist and hips). I had a small surgery on my leg to remove some odd growth, which lead to having to take a break from walking, because it was on my inner thigh which kept rubbing at the stitches. And all of a sudden, I am down 2 pounds in the course of 3 days. Was it my calories? Was it from not exercising? My husband keeps telling me to not give up and I will see results. I don't know the rhyme or reason yet, but I will take the loss in any way it wants to come. Lol!

I hope these past two days will not throw me too far back. Yesterday was gardening with a pickaxe to pull roots and I was still hungry at the end of the night. I figured I'd listen to my body because I had no clue how many calories I had burned, so I ate an extra soft taco. And today, well, despite trying to save most of my calories for our cookout, my husband made some banging potato salad and my neighbors brought me a margaita. I felt a margarita amidst Corona was an opportunity to enjoy for a day. I hope you all are having a good week - and maybe just one margarita!
  • CrumbsInMyButter
    So it's June and the goal is to lose 6 lbs. Currently weight 194 lbs so that would take me to 188 lbs by the end of the month. Exercise will have to wait as I just went for COVID testing and I am awaiting my results. So self isolation until then. I hope everyone is healthy.
  • Paat18
    Paat18 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone!

Hight: 5’0
    Weight: 193

Ive lost weight on and off these past 3 yrs. Im learning how to eat different foods and im enjoying it very much. Im always the supportive person in the group, but i do lose my own motivation at times. I noticed in the past when i lost my first 20lbs i got really depressed. Like i was sad to let that little fat girl go. So i savataged my progress. I felt scared??? Ive also done a couple challenges in my gym and i do loss the weight, but when it ends i go back to my old habits and gain my weight. Today, Im not looking for a challenge that starves me for a couple wks. I want a life change😊 i want to feel happy and healthy. Enjoy life to the fullest. Im ready to embraise my journey! I want to exercise and eat healthy with out stressing about it!
    Yes i can! And so can you!
  • Mahoganylit
    Paat18 wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

Hight: 5’0
    Weight: 193

Ive lost weight on and off these past 3 yrs. Im learning how to eat different foods and im enjoying it very much. Im always the supportive person in the group, but i do lose my own motivation at times. I noticed in the past when i lost my first 20lbs i got really depressed. Like i was sad to let that little fat girl go. So i savataged my progress. I felt scared??? Ive also done a couple challenges in my gym and i do loss the weight, but when it ends i go back to my old habits and gain my weight. Today, Im not looking for a challenge that starves me for a couple wks. I want a life change😊 i want to feel happy and healthy. Enjoy life to the fullest. Im ready to embraise my journey! I want to exercise and eat healthy with out stressing about it!
    Yes i can! And so can you!

Yes. We absolutely can. No stress or Guilt.

So it's June and the goal is to lose 6 lbs. Currently weight 194 lbs so that would take me to 188 lbs by the end of the month. Exercise will have to wait as I just went for COVID testing and I am awaiting my results. So self isolation until then. I hope everyone is healthy.

You've got this @CrumbsInMyButter!! I pray your COVID result come back negative. Stay safe and well.

• CrumbsInMyButter
    @Mahoganylit Thank you! Just got my results back and they are negative. So outside I go later for a run. No excuses to not get some fresh air!
  • nicadee
    nicadee Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2020
    Hi, I'm just back on MFP after a couple of years, tracking has always helped me in the past.
    Im 46, 168lbs and would love to lose 20lbs. Have gained about 12lbs since last October (where i was aleady at the stage of wanting to lose 7lbs) when i had to stop my regular exercise (3 times a week bootcamp) due to low iron levels and the symptoms that come with it and got into bad eating habits (they weren't perfect to begin with 😬!).
    Ive over eaten constantly so extra food has added the weight and stopping bootcamp has meant i'm getting very flabby and my fitness levels has decreased dramatically...
    Now is the time for me to try and lose the weight and feel healthy again... this time for good.
    I'm on day 4 of tracking and doing well staying within calories, i am walking a lot and trying not to eat all of my exercise calories back.. though probably have most!!
    I need to take my measurements as thats always great to see the cm's going down 🤞
    Really pleased i found this group it looks like great motivation, i look forward to supporting everyone.
    I'm from Wiltshire in the UK. 🙂
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Hi everyone! I’m 48, 5’1” and 167lbs. I lost 15 pounds a few years ago and managed to keep it off but since this covid-19 pandemic I’ve gained 7 lbs and know I need to make changes. I want to lose 20-30 pounds. I used to go to the gym regularly but it’s closed now so I’m relying on walking, occasionally jogging (new to that but trying!) and YouTube workout videos. I track my food every day and keep my calories in check. Dismayed that my weight isn’t budging. 😞
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    Evening everyone- I am 44, 5’7” . I started in earnest in MFP in January at 209. Currently 178. Goal is 150. Just saw this thread as I am starting to explore the boards more and wanted to say hi!
  • Mahoganylit
    Glad to hear it @CrumbsInMyButter.

@nicadee - Hello from Washington, DC US. Welcome back. I love that we all can be connected from across the globe.

@dawnkirkwood18 - time to get it.

@Kupla71 - we all get that way at times. But we are here and on the same journey to good health and a healthy weight
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    I"m in as I am 43 and have 20 to lose :)

I am 5ft 8inches and currently 178--the heaviest non-pregnant I have ever been. A dream would be 154 which is what I was at my whole adult life before pregnancies. I would even settle for 164 which would be within the healthy weight for my height. I am going to try to post here more often to keep myself accountable.
  • nicadee
    nicadee Posts: 28 Member
    @mahoganylit - Hi and thank you, good to be back. Great to meet you 🙂
  • PotatoHead_
    PotatoHead_ Posts: 290 Member
    Logged back into MFP today, after a 5 year gap.
    I reached a target weight way back then, and then took my eye off the ball. Became a mum, got old etc.

I'd like to start with 20lbs...but make it to 40lbs later this year.

Current: 14st 11 / 207lb
    Mini goal 20th July: 13st 5 / 187 lb (ie 20lbs off)
    Goal: 12st / 168lb
    (I'm in the UK)
  • mizalmond
    mizalmond Posts: 22 Member
    Hi all! Back on MFP after dawdling for a couple of years. I'm 5'8" and got up to 195 at my heaviest, right before my divorce at 36. Back then, I just walked a lot, paid attention to my calories, and had my IUD taken out...30 lbs gone in 6 months. I was able to stay around 165 for 4 years.

Since 2018, I've gotten into another LTR and I'm very happy, but my weight has ballooned again and I'm right around 185. Now that I'm 41 (almost 42), I'm doing most of the same things I did at 36 and none of them are working. It's really frustrating and I feel like I've let myself go! I don't want to lose hope, so I'm hoping some group accountability will be helpful. Here to talk or listen.

Current: 185
    Goal: 165 (though 155 would be amazing)
  • mummiecakes
    mummiecakes Posts: 28 Member
    Hello All! It's been a busy couple of weeks with work and a few 'staycation' days. I haven't been checking in, but have been logging. It's great to see new faces all the time and I can't help, but read these messages and feel so encouraged that I am not alone!!

This struggle has been with me since the 3rd grade and while it does continue, I am working to try and shift my mindset a little bit. I am grateful for health (probably more than ever now), for ability to move and do things, for the luxury of choosing what I eat...and I really want to lose those 20 (or so) lbs! Lol.

I'm flirting with IF right now...even if only to help me with staying within my calories and I think it's working. I was down a pound this morning...That's only 2 lbs in the past few weeks, but it's down almost 5lbs from my quarantine gain :-/

I see folks posting stats...I haven't done this before, but maybe for accountability's sake, I will:

Height: 5'6"
    Currently: 164.5 lbs
    Goal: 142 - 145 lbs

@mizalmond This is interesting to me: "and had my IUD taken out...30 lbs gone in 6 months. I was able to stay around 165 for 4 years." I know you were also walking and watching what you ate, but do you think having the IUD removed made a big difference?

Thanks!

• mizalmond
    mizalmond Posts: 22 Member
    @mummiecakes It's a well-known secret that IUDs can contribute to weight gain. I had the copper IUD for 8 years, and during that time I went from 165 (my best shape of all time, super muscle-y, wedding weight) to almost 200. Once I had it taken out, I was certainly paying attention to what I ate (and being depressed about my divorce), but didn't have to work terribly hard to take the weight off and keep it off. It's like my body reset itself, until I turned 40, returned to a committed relationship, and started eating out more and less healthfully.

COVID-19 has actually been pretty good for me! I've been 8/16 intermittent fasting for months at this point, and going on lots of longer walks and hikes, but nothing has really changed with my weight. Just joined a group doing the 30 day shred and am feeling much better, also paying significantly more attention to what I'm eating and how much alcohol I'm consuming. So far I've lost some inches but the scale hasn't moved. We'll see what happens over the next week!

Stats:

Height: 5'8"
    Currently: 184.8 lbs
    Goal: 160-165 lbs