Gaining weight and inches whilst exercising and dieting

Options
Hey all,

I'm 30 years old, 220lbs.

I recently started doing the insanity workout. Sounds mad for someone of my size I know, but I have the fitness level under the fat to support it.

I want to get in shape and lose weight.

I'm following the calories in the nutrition guide (a whopping 2270 a day!) And have been on the plan 2 weeks now.

Whilst I can feel myself getting fitter with each workout and overall I feel like I'm jiggling a little less.

I have gained inches and weight.

In 2 weeks I'm up almost half a stone. And I've gained inches to my waist, hips, thighs and arms.

That half a stone has been the difference between my Jean's fitting and not as well.

Before this I was trying to lose weight just calorie counting, but after over a month of that failing and more or less just maintaining I decided to add in insanity, which also doesnt seem to be working.

The rest of the time I am more or less sedentary due to my office based job.

I'd love if theres any advice or support someone can offer me here.

Thanks all.

Replies

• Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Water retention is a real thing especially when starting a new workout programme. Stick with it and don't get discouraged. Also try reducing your calorie intake a bit. The MFP calculators aren't gospel. I manually adjusted mine because the calculation gave me way more calories than I need. Remember that things take time and have faith in yourself.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Recheck how you're calculating your calorie allowance. It sounds as though your baseline level should be set at 'sedentary', with your exercise logged in whenever you do it.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Your counting is inaccurate. Weigh every morsel to a gram.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm 30 years old, 220lbs.

I recently started doing the insanity workout. Sounds mad for someone of my size I know, but I have the fitness level under the fat to support it.

I want to get in shape and lose weight.

I'm following the calories in the nutrition guide (a whopping 2270 a day!) And have been on the plan 2 weeks now.

Whilst I can feel myself getting fitter with each workout and overall I feel like I'm jiggling a little less.

I have gained inches and weight.

In 2 weeks I'm up almost half a stone. And I've gained inches to my waist, hips, thighs and arms.

That half a stone has been the difference between my Jean's fitting and not as well.

Before this I was trying to lose weight just calorie counting, but after over a month of that failing and more or less just maintaining I decided to add in insanity, which also doesnt seem to be working.

The rest of the time I am more or less sedentary due to my office based job.

I'd love if theres any advice or support someone can offer me here.

Thanks all.

I have never found the calorie suggestions or calorie burns on Beachbody programs to be accurate. I'd strongly recommend going by the calories MFP recommends and logging those workouts to know how much extra to eat on workout days.

As others have said, 2 weeks could still be some water retention from the new exercise. In the meantime, check out these Most Helpful Posts, these helped me a lot when I first started!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • ravengirl2014
    ravengirl2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's possible the exercise is making you hungrier as well...snacks sneak in easily!😖