Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Covid19 and Cashiers

Replies

• TarynF226
    TarynF226 Posts: 62 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is anyone else seeing a reduction in people using masks lately? It seems to coincide with things starting to softly reopen and that scares me. Grocery stores, gas station/convenience stores, nurseries.....people seem to be getting way too comfortable again. :( It's bound to come back and bite us in our derrieres.

I haven't noticed whether there's more or less people wearing them but historically yes its gonna bite us. There's evidence that we will get more than one wave and the next will probably be worse.

Maybe it's because there's been nicer weather now so there's simply the same people wearing masks but more stay at home people are now out and about without them🤷‍♀️
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited May 2020
    No decline in masks where I am. They are required for shopping anyway here, and they seem to be increasingly normalized. I think it's not all that surprising that in more rural or less densely populated areas, especially without any kind of mask requirement, and with few cases (looking at the numbers, VT has had less than a thousand, only 25 are hospitalized, and only 54 deaths), that many people wouldn't think they were necessary and would be less concerned, even though for the most part wearing a mask seems like an easy enough thing to do (I still have issues with my glasses fogging up and when exercising outside on a warm day they are unpleasant, so merely social distancing if you take it seriously seems like a legitimate option to me then).

• TarynF226
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    No decline in masks where I am. They are required for shopping anyway here, and they seem to be increasingly normalized. I think it's not all that surprising that in more rural or less densely populated areas, especially without any kind of mask requirement, and with few cases (looking at the numbers, VT has had less than a thousand, only 25 are hospitalized, and only 54 deaths), that many people wouldn't think they were necessary and would be less concerned, even though for the most part wearing a mask seems like an easy enough thing to do (I still have issues with my glasses fogging up and when exercising outside on a warm day they are unpleasant, so merely social distancing if you take it seriously seems like a legitimate option to me then).

I have the glasses fogging issue too. It's contrary to habit but Don't push your glasses up. Let them rest further down your nose, lens' edges over or almost over the edge of the mask where it sits on your nose. If you let them sit further out from your face on the edge of the mask they don't fog up like usual.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I will try that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    Baby wipes have zero anti-bacterial properties. They're NOT a replacement at all for hand sanitizer. They're just water and perfume. Read the ingredients people.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited May 2020
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Baby wipes have zero anti-bacterial properties. They're NOT a replacement at all for hand sanitizer. They're just water and perfume. Read the ingredients people.

Most baby wipes contain a detergent, and detergents/soaps break the virus' coating, deactivating it. For this reason, i add a little dishwashing liquid to hand sanitizer.
  • TarynF226
    VeryKatie wrote: »

They are a stop gap measure for not being able to wash your hands at best though any type of wet wipe would work.

It's literally just wiping a portion of whatever contaminants are there off your hands and throwing it in the trash. It doesn't mean your hands would be clean/decontaminated they'd just be cleaner than they were.

People went a bit crazy with buying any type of wet wipe when this all got going but I guess a lot of people thought baby wipe would be easy on their hands🤷‍♀️
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’m so sorry you have to deal with that kind of person. Yes, the child’s shirt says it all.
    Stay strong. Keep smiling. We’re on your side.
  • TarynF226
    edited June 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    My BIL and I were sitting in the car waiting for my sister at the grocery store. I'm watching all the people. Maybe 1/3 of the people have masks. :( Then I'm watching another with no mask, shake hands and give this couple big hugs. The couple are wearing a mask.
    I've become so judgmental lately, when I see all these people no longer wearing masks and/or social distancing. :( I had a feeling reopening would give everybody the sense that things must be better therefore no need to worry any more. :( I saw a young mom shopping the other day, with her (about) 1 year old, no mask for mom. :( Makes ya wanna scream. I saw a group of 4 young people go into the same store as I was coming out, no masks. :(
    Obviously I'm paying too much attention now and need to get over it; just stay out of everybody's way. :(

Well you're not the only one to see it. The nicer the weather gets the more I see groups of three or four teens going around together with no distancing or masks. Yes it's under 5 people but that's probably three households mixing right there. I do kind of cringe watching people get close to each other now.

I get that people want to hang out with friends but guess what so do I. I miss my best friend like hell right now. *sighs* Her birthday is in roughly a month so I'm gonna be dropping stuff on her front step I guess. I still have to decide what to get her other than alcohol though🤣😅
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I wonder why so many countries have done so badly at controlling the virus. I just don't understand it. About half a dozen countries have controlled it successfully, including my country. But there doesn't seem to be any predictor of success or failure. Rich, poor, democracy, communist, island, continent. None seem to make any difference.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    I wonder why so many countries have done so badly at controlling the virus. I just don't understand it. About half a dozen countries have controlled it successfully, including my country. But there doesn't seem to be any predictor of success or failure. Rich, poor, democracy, communist, island, continent. None seem to make any difference.

Not sure which country you are posting from.

And hard to answer without getting political - but I think those countries which did better took early and strong measures, had consistent messages from leadership and a population which had higher level of compliance.

And yes, some luck.

But mostly the above.