Link my Apple Watch ?

Options
mc62412
mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
Will MFP automatically pull satay from my watch ? Or if I do any exercises do I have to enter it manually. It looks like it’s counting my steps but nothing else

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, I had to link my Health app from my phone to this site and then it pulled my workouts I logged on my watch into this site.
  • nnix64
    nnix64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I couldn't figure out how to link my health app
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    nnix64 wrote: »
    I couldn't figure out how to link my health app

I'm trying to remember. I did it at Christmas (when Santa brought my watch).

In the Health app, go to your initials in the top right corner. Click on that. Under "Privacy", there's an "Apps" option. Open that. I think I added MFP in there, but I don't remember how and I can't now because it's already linked...

Hope that helps.
  • mc62412
    Options
    I got it. Googled it. Lol. Thanks everyone
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You do not want to link it directly. There is a known bug. Link it through an app called Pacer. The free app version works just fine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
  • mc62412
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You do not want to link it directly. There is a known bug. Link it through an app called Pacer. The free app version works just fine.

I was able to get it and haven’t seen any issue yet
  • NovusDies
    Options
    mc62412 wrote: »

You will almost undoubtedly get an improper exercise calorie amount when you sync. @heybales can explain iwhy better than me.
  • mc62412
    Options
    Is this a new issue or old. Hummmm I’ll keep my eye on it. I don’t plan on eating my exercise calories.
  • heybales
    Options

You will not get credit for any Moving calories, that level of activity above sedentary.
    Have goal for 20K steps a day outside of exercise - you won't get credit for it.
    Obviously your body will burn the calories and you'll start getting some negative effects if decent enough numbers.

Your exercise calories won't really increase with MFP what you burned in the day to calculate with.
    you'll get no credit for them.

So the more you do daily and in exercise, the bigger the deficit becomes.
    Which is exactly *kitten*-backwards to doing this healthy.
  • heybales
    Options
    Is this a new issue or old. Hummmm I’ll keep my eye on it. I don’t plan on eating my exercise calories.

Always an issue - Apple does things their own way.
    They do not send to MFP the required info.

But if you plan on doing it the wrong way too then it really doesn't matter.
  • NovusDies
    edited June 2020
    Options

Then you really need to know the correct amount of exercise calories you earn. If you are earning a pretty small amount like 100 calories per day it should not be a big deal to ignore them. If you allowed MFP to set your goal without exercise in mind and you earn much more it will likely wreck your energy and/or compel you to eat everything in sight. From my personal experience it won't happen day 1 but it will eventually catch up with you.
  • mc62412
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

If I plan on doing it the wrong way ?
    I’m new to it. So I’m asking. I added my watch to it and so far there is no issue that I see. It counted my 30 mins exercise I did and just says how many steps I took.
  • mc62412
    Options

Then you really need to know the correct amount of exercise calories you earn. If you are earning a pretty small amount like 100 calories per day it should not be a big deal to ignore them. If you allowed MFP to set your goal without exercise in mind and you earn much more it will likely wreck your energy and/or compel you to eat everything in sight. From my personal experience it won't happen day 1 but it will eventually catch up with you.

I’ll have to keep a close eye on it. Maybe it’s something they can fix. I’m not working out a lot right now. Working on my eating habits first. And doing small work outs here and there. Today was my first one logging with MFP and it’s correct so far.
  • heybales
    Options

I’m new to it. So I’m asking. I added my watch to it and so far there is no issue that I see. It counted my 30 mins exercise I did and just says how many steps I took.

Yes I know you are new to it. Hence the explanations and trying to keep it simple since you haven't used the system before, and would not understand the details I could get in to.

And as such it's interesting how you disbelieve those of us that are NOT new to it.

We do know what we are talking about.

You don't understand how it all works - but you claim it's working fine for now or they'll fix it if really an issue.
    It isn't, and they won't.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

That some numbers come across doesn't mean they are the right numbers.

You asked for advice and got some great advice, would be a real shame to ignore it.
  • NovusDies
    Options

I’ll have to keep a close eye on it. Maybe it’s something they can fix. I’m not working out a lot right now. Working on my eating habits first. And doing small work outs here and there. Today was my first one logging with MFP and it’s correct so far.

I was hoping they would fix it too. So far a year has gone by.

My experience of having it synced directly was that it brought over the correct number of steps but that is all it did correctly. The calorie amounts were off by a LARGE percentage.

My wife also synced directly and experiences the same,

It is not actually a bug. A bug happens sometimes. This is a fundamental flaw that happens across the board.

Be careful. A lot of people when they begin are worried about losing too slow. They should be worried about misery. Misery is a weight loss killer. It is not how fast you lose the next pound but how easily that really matters.
  • mc62412
    Options

Yes I know you are new to it. Hence the explanations and trying to keep it simple since you haven't used the system before, and would not understand the details I could get in to.

And as such it's interesting how you disbelieve those of us that are NOT new to it.

We do know what we are talking about.

You don't understand how it all works - but you claim it's working fine for now or they'll fix it if really an issue.
    It isn't, and they won't.

Well like I said MINE has not been an issue. Ur so supportive. Just don’t say anything then. Smh
  • mc62412
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

That some numbers come across doesn't mean they are the right numbers.

You asked for advice and got some great advice, would be a real shame to ignore it.

It was a simple question. I hear what your all saying there’s an issue. Wut I’m saying is so far I haven’t seen one. And when then is then I’ll figure it out. It wasn’t that serious.
    No need for the brass responses by some. Thought that this was supposed to be supportive. Guess not. 🙄
    Like I said I heard what you all say about it being wrong.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You got great advice from one of the most helpful and knowledable users on here about a subject you are completely new to. That's what true support is.

Being rude to someone giving up their free time to help a stranger is deplorable.