Bread or bread equivalent

2»

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    swirlybee wrote: »
    Arrgh. Pizza dough has been thoroughly annoying me, specifically getting it from the table to the peel to the oven. I've resorted to using parchment paper but it's not getting the browning/charring that I want.
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Arrgh. Pizza dough has been thoroughly annoying me, specifically getting it from the table to the peel to the oven. I've resorted to using parchment paper but it's not getting the browning/charring that I want.

My daughter is doing the "spread it in the sheet pan" method of pizza crust shaping. We don't have a pizza stone, but we're trying a trick from Alton Brown or somewhere using an inverted sheet pan under your cook pan as an ad hoc version of a stone. Not sure if we like the effect yet. Perhaps tomorrow will be Friday pizza night here ...

I have a friend who bought this. Its not cheap, but they have pizza couple times a week and he really perfected the dough. I never had a simple pizza margheritta like the ones he makes. I knot his is crazy $$$, for some, but if you think about it, it will pay for itself within a year or so.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/breville-pizzaiolo/

For that kind of money, I'd rather get a new stove/oven. :smiley: We did buy an ooni 3. Much cheaper. We're still getting the hang of it, but like I said, my biggest problem is getting it from the table to the peel to the oven. I suspect that my problem is my dough, so I'll have to keep tweaking the recipe that I'm using and my technique.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member

For that kind of money, I'd rather get a new stove/oven. :smiley: We did buy an ooni 3. Much cheaper. We're still getting the hang of it, but like I said, my biggest problem is getting it from the table to the peel to the oven. I suspect that my problem is my dough, so I'll have to keep tweaking the recipe that I'm using and my technique.

We just got the new oven. Fortunately, before lockdown.

Just did my first Aerogarden hydroponics maintenance. As a result, have some fresh basil (our first from this unit) for tonight's homemade pizza night. Did a taste test (of course!) on the basil - smells great, tastes great! Looking forward. And a 100% whole wheat honey whey loaf rising now. Busy kitchen today.

3gpwhuw95239.jpg
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited June 2020

Did you use corn meal on the bottom of the dough or top of peel? If not.. plenty of flour..

I typically use the of the pizza pan as my peel (inverted)..

Crisp crust.. use a stone or cast iron.. it has to be over 500°f to get that burn/crispy crust..

x1xbd6kx4nkm.jpg

• mjbnj0001
    So @swirlybee and @just_Tomek , it's been a busy bready day in the house today. Pizza night (pic enclosed), my daughter's creation (using the basil from our hydroponics), a fresh loaf of honey whole wheat whey bread (100% whole wheat and a little gluten, as before), and a midnight surprise: scones. Since we have a decent flour supply on-hand, after 79 days, we thought it was time for a treat. I thought English muffins, my wife jumped up, "scones, please!" So, "happy wife, happy life," and someone is getting a surprise for breakfast (it's 12:20AM here now).

I tried a new trick with the whole wheat. I've been brushing a bit of water on top since earlier this spring with the thought that it would help create crust. But I've also been thinking lately that some of that excess water must be seeping down into the loaf pan, making the bottom of the loaf wetter and denser throughout the bake. So tonight, I tried the French trick - I put a pan of water in the oven alongside the bread to add a little steam (this is some of the same effect a closed loaf pan [e.g., Pullman] or Dutch Oven has to give a good crust). Result seen below. One data point does not a theory prove, but it is encouraging. The loaf itself is nice and soft.

af7bv9151nh7.jpg

y53fne5ejui6.jpg

tzjns55fgx0l.jpg

• swirlybee
    I endorse the water pan method. I've done a back-to-back comparison of water pan vs. no water pan and the results are definitely noticeable. Make sure you take out the water pan around the half way point, otherwise the loaf might get too fluffy/loose. That's what happened with my last 100% ww loaf.

I did a sourdough pizza yesterday. Did not work out at all. During the rise, I just cover the dough with an inverted sheet pan and the hubby must've moved it enough that the top of the dough dried up and hardened. Then, because it was windy outside, the pizza oven was being super finicky. One thing that worked out though is that I've gotten the hang of getting the dough to the peel and into the oven. I've use cornmeal before but thanks to @lx1x whose suggestion made using a lot more cornmeal than I was previously using.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    I endorse the water pan method. I've done a back-to-back comparison of water pan vs. no water pan and the results are definitely noticeable. Make sure you take out the water pan around the half way point, otherwise the loaf might get too fluffy/loose. That's what happened with my last 100% ww loaf.

I did a sourdough pizza yesterday. Did not work out at all. During the rise, I just cover the dough with an inverted sheet pan and the hubby must've moved it enough that the top of the dough dried up and hardened. Then, because it was windy outside, the pizza oven was being super finicky. One thing that worked out though is that I've gotten the hang of getting the dough to the peel and into the oven. I've use cornmeal before but thanks to @lx1x whose suggestion made using a lot more cornmeal than I was previously using.

👍

Yeah.. depending how sticky the dough is.. I do test slide before adding the topping etc. It's all trial and error tbh.
  • swirlybee
    back to the original thread topic. Here's my recipe for low calorie croissant which is only 75 calories per serving.

dough
    4.3 g water, warm
    0.2 g yeast
    8 g all purpose flour
    1 g sugar
    0.2 g salt
    0.8 g egg yolk
    5.2 g unsalted butter

Mix together all ingredients, reserving 4.5 grams of the butter. Knead using the slap and fold method for about 30 seconds. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Stretch and fold all corners of the dough a total of 3 times, refrigerating for 10 minutes between each stretch and fold. Make butter block with remaining butter. Laminate. Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes.

And now I present you with the 75 calorie croissant.
    dtdviwfdtw09.jpg

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    If you're only worried about the calories consumption and not the ingredients, Nickels (35 cal), Sara Lee (45 cal) and Aldi (35 cal) have low calorie breads that taste pretty good. I'm sure there are some weird ingredients in them to make them so low calorie, but I don't worry about that.

Some people like making cloud bread, but I wasn't a fan.

I use low-carb tortillas & Wasa Crackers as bread replacements.
  • mjbnj0001
    Tonight's loaf: simple bread - flour (100% unbleached bread flour), water, salt, yeast - and about 6oz plain 2% greek yogurt. Using the water pan method once again, got a nice top crust. Delicious.

36g9q2qf354u.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    The interior of the above loaf during today's breakfast. Softer, fluffier bread with an artisinal tang and crispy top crust (produced via the water-pan-in-the-stove method). I doubt this one will last 2 days with the fam. That's both good and bad, LOL.

ifvc5ry5mywh.jpg
  • Catlessi41
    Catlessi41 Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2020
    You can try Scandinavian Wasa bread\crackers. In the US they are usually found by cookies and crackers. Use them like bread. :wink:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    The interior of the above loaf during today's breakfast. Softer, fluffier bread with an artisinal tang and crispy top crust (produced via the water-pan-in-the-stove method). I doubt this one will last 2 days with the fam. That's both good and bad, LOL.

ifvc5ry5mywh.jpg

Can we have the recipe please? Gosh that looks amazing!
  • Betcava1
    Betcava1 Posts: 4 Member
    hello sometimes I buy the slimbread from cleanfoods.it
  • mjbnj0001
    mockchoc wrote: »

Can we have the recipe please? Gosh that looks amazing!

Thanks! Sure. From my previous posting: "...Tonight's loaf: simple bread - flour (100% unbleached bread flour), water, salt, yeast - and about 6oz plain 2% greek yogurt. Using the water pan method once again, got a nice top crust. Delicious."

Now, I mostly use a no-knead method inspired by the youtube channel, "artisanbreadwithstev." I've been doing this for almost 3 years now, and making about 80% of the family's bread products. This includes white, whole wheat, rye and oat breads, mixed-flour versions, plain and with various flavorings and ingredients: honey, molasses, seeds/nuts/herbs/veg, whey, yogurt, milk, cheese and recently, buttermilk powder. This past Christmas, I branched out into yeast-based fruit breads for the holidays. I also do rolls, focaccia, pizza dough and flatbreads and occasionally, English muffins with some variation of this method.

The no-knead method is about as difficult as making mudpies, and I've recently gone "semi-knead" by using a wooden spurtle (picture; a spoon handle would work as well), to induce more gluten formation by hand mixing/drawing the dough before first rise. I recently also switched from brushing on some dabs of water on the dough top in the loaf pan before baking to encourage crust development to using a small pan of water in the oven. Many no-knead approaches use a covered Dutch oven to generate steam in this way and get a round loaf.

We go through 6-7 loaves per month for this shelter-at-home family. This being MFP, I compute the macros (cals, protein, carb and fat) for each bread variety on a "standard slice" and they are typically better than most commercial breads. I add protein, such as whey, to further improve these numbers.

The basic recipe from the youtube site for these breads is:
    3.5 cups flour (he goes on, from time to time, to explain why he's a measurer, not a weigher/sifter)
    13.5oz water
    yeast
    salt.

Either bread flour or AP flour, typically. I lower the amount of salt he uses, but you need at least some, otherwise the result is pretty much like cardboard. "Whole wheat" and "rye" and "oat" is usually a mix of those flours with bread or AP. I vary the percentages for various results. For a start, I suggest 2C bread flour, 1.5C of other flour, and take it in whatever direction you like for future loaves. "100% whole wheat" requires some tinkering with the recipe/approach so as to not produce a "brick" as result. I prefer using "unbleached" bread flour, un-enriched. As you saw in the pic above, "white" bread using this method is a shade of "offwhite" color.

He has two methods, an overnight rise (12hrs or so) and a "turbo" method (1.5hrs). They differ in that the fast method uses more yeast and warm water for first rise, and the regular uses less yeast and then time for the yeast to proliferate. The regular method produces a little more yeasty tang, more like sourdough; both approaches produce nice bread. Second rise is 30 minutes; you can use an iron skillet or loaf pan to shape your dough. Then into pre-heated 400F oven for 40 minutes. I tend to use the "turbo" method most of the time, because, well, it's faster. About 3hrs overall from start to finished loaf with about 10 minutes of labor through that time. I tinker the basic recipe/approach based on my ingredients and such. Be careful the first time you use this method; the dough is a floppy, loose "wet" dough to encourage the gluten molecules to migrate into aligned strings for a good crumb; this substitutes water and chemistry for the mechanical kneading process.

Steve is a retired IT manager from the Midwest USA somewhere. His videos are a little dry, but give a good foundation. "No knead" is great for producing good-tasting, healthy bread for consumption. It's not as "artistic" as some sourdough methods, but that's usually not what I'm reaching for on a regular basis.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdfub88-4D0Jc_V4T_yNrA

9w1oehphjx6l.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    Last evening's loaf: Unbleached Bread Flour, Whey, Buttermilk Bread with a touch of honey.

The dairy concentration always seems to make for more crust browning. "Water pan" method for crust formation in the oven. Equivalent of 2 cups buttermilk powder, 2 scoops of whey, 1T honey. MFP recipe builder calls this 91 cals/slice, 0g fat, 16g carb (1g fiber, 2g sugar), 5g protein with 134mg sodium. Very nice flavor that makes a great toast.

xglqhwus0xu5.jpg