Final Goal Weight Determination? 🎯

Options
I am trying to figure out my final goal weight. How do you figure out your final goal weight?

I am 40 years old, 5’6”, 129 pounds.

Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While I have a typical goal range I like stay in (where I have been before and feel best) my goals are based on body composition. Right now I am at a good weight but not happy with my muscle mass (I had a baby not long ago) so I'm recomping. Ideally I'd like to be 5-10lbs heavier, lean.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Mostly, how I feel. Behind that, how I look (not very appearance concious, but I had some benchmarks in mind, mostly about configuration I was seeing in remaining fat stores). If I weren't sure, I'd talk to my doctor.

FWIW, I'm in long term maintenace (year 4+) about your size, 5'5", 129-130 lately, but age 64. For my body type/configuration, I could lose another few, but it's NBD if I don't. I really hate clothes shopping, don't wanna buy new jeans: I've only got one pair in the size down, but enough in the current size, which is getting semi-loose . . . and I don't like belts. That may turn out to be the decider. Yep, it's that shallow. :lol:
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I go by the mirror too. I have a smallish frame and like a lean look so it’s at the low end of the normal bmi range for me.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I chose my goal weight because I like round numbers: at 60 kg, my BMI is 20. Nothing more profound than that!

Well, and I like the way I look and feel at this weight, plus it has been easy to maintain for a year now, so it looks to have been the right choice.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I initially got fairly close with "my favourite adult weight" and made loads of small adjustments over an extended period of time based on sports performance, body composition, hunger signals (that caused me to adjust up a bit), ease of maintenance, mirror, fitting in one particular clothing size instead of straddling two sizes ( I hate clothes shopping too @AnnPT77 ).

In the end settled on effectively a winter weight range of 168 to 175lbs which is my red line which I won't exceed and a target cycling season range around 168lbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    At first it was hard because I hadn't been that light since high school. My husband finally convinced me my low weight was too low, and I could tell.my doctors and nurses agreed. After gaining a little, and over time fluctuations, I can see where a comfortable healthy weight falls.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    As a male it might not help you, but I just wanted a BMI less than 30 and a waist less than 40". Once I got there, I went by how I looked and felt. Once the muffin-top disappeared and I felt better than I had for as long as I can remember, I decided I was at my goal weight. FYI, my BMI is around 27, but I'm finally satisfied and maintaining.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I set my initial goal weight at where I was when I felt healthy/ fit (which is about 10lb over a bmi threshold, so slightly overweight but last time I was that weight it felt right for me). This time, I've already got to that weight and because I've been consistently weight training and have had two kids, I'm holding my fat differently and I want to go lower, I'm aiming for a place where I'm not holding lots of visible fat in my legs and lower belly. So I currently have no frigging idea what a goal weight it, just keeping going until I like the aesthetic and can do what I want exercise wise.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone’s input!! Thank you!
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor...good source of guidance!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    The mirror works for me.

op. I would suggest a weight that requires the least amount of effort to maintain, where you feel good and are healthier.

^^ this

At 5ft 6, 129lbs seems low enough for your height ? but then we all have very different body types/compositions- I'm 4" inches smaller, basically the same weight as you and very happy with my body composition/weight in general - I go by how my clothes fit (UK size 8/10) and the mirror.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    The first goal wt I set was = 24.9 BMI
    Then I wanted to see what I’d look like lower
    Eventually got down to BMI 22.9

Now very happy with BMI in the 23’s.

My real goal is lifelong weight in normal BMI.
    So if 23’s are easy, I’ll go with it.

BTW my doctor was happy - thrilled really - with my weight 28 lbs higher than current... BMI around 27-28 because that was down - 40lbs.

Better to maintain higher than regain.
  • OceanicMelodies
    OceanicMelodies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for the ideal weight for my height since it works out pretty well with my body composition.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    The mirror works for me.

op. I would suggest a weight that requires the least amount of effort to maintain, where you feel good and are healthier.

^^ this

At 5ft 6, 129lbs seems low enough for your height ? but then we all have very different body types/compositions- I'm 4" inches smaller, basically the same weight as you and very happy with my body composition/weight in general - I go by how my clothes fit (UK size 8/10) and the mirror.

Thanks! I am overall happy with my body composition. I have been working out 💪 🏋️‍♀️ for the last few years (Barre - I wasn’t getting the results I wanted) and changed at the beginning of the year To HIIT! Lost 20 pounds, happy! I feel that I am at a good goal weight, however, I want to strengthen my abs and continue to live a healthy lifestyle.

I would like to stay below 130 in my own head. I think I have come down to my goal weight at 127-129. Most of all, I want to live a healthy lifestyle!

Stats:
    40 Years old
    Height 5”6”
    Weight: 128.6. (Highest was 148.6 - Lost 20 pounds)
    BMI: 20.9 (Highest was 24.2)

Thanks for the input! It has definitely helped!

• SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    The first goal wt I set was = 24.9 BMI
    Then I wanted to see what I’d look like lower
    Eventually got down to BMI 22.9

Now very happy with BMI in the 23’s.

My real goal is lifelong weight in normal BMI.
    So if 23’s are easy, I’ll go with it.

BTW my doctor was happy - thrilled really - with my weight 28 lbs higher than current... BMI around 27-28 because that was down - 40lbs.

Better to maintain higher than regain.

Awesome job on your weight loss! I want to live a healthy lifestyle as well and not be “obsessed” with my weight. I know that isn’t healthy either. Since now I am in my 40’s and I think 🤔 differently about my weight than my 20’s (Thankfully 😆).

I am thankful that I am energetic and look forward to working out (most days!).
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    I try to aim for the ideal weight for my height since it works out pretty well with my body composition.

👍
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    Personally, I went by a few different stages.

1. (Early in weight loss) I literally can't even imagine having a weight under 200 lbs, I almost don't even care. I just want to have a happier relationship with food and not feel so guilty all the time.
    2. (After I was chugging along easily at 2 lb per week loss) I think I should aim IDEALLY for 150 (since I feel like the normal weight range is too out-of-the-realm-of-possibility. I am 5'4'', so "recommended" is 110 to 145).
    3. (After getting down closer to 160) Oh my gosh, I think I can get to a healthy BMI. Let's go for 130 to 135, sounds reasonable).
    4. (After getting to 130-135) let's switch to maintenance calories very slowly; I'm nervous to stop the deficit in case I regain and fall back on old habits
    5. (After continuing to lose and FINALLY hitting maintenance around 125-130) Wow. I think I'm going to stay here for now! I am getting 2200 calories per day and feeling good about the amount of exercise I do.

Great info, thanks for sharing!