Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Children and Intermittent Fasting

pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,782 Member Member Posts: 3,782 Member
Do you think parents should let their kids practice IF? I'm not sure where I stand on this tbh.

Replies

• harper16harper16 Member Posts: 1,983 Member Member Posts: 1,983 Member
    No.
    Why not set a good example regarding everything in moderation, and being active as a family instead of getting them started early on fad diets?
    edited June 9
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 1,851 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,851 Member
    Too many variables. I'd want to have a discussion first knowing the child's age, whether this is a religious choice, how they plan to break their fast, how long they intend to fast overall (ex, weeks vs months).

A nutritionist or pediatric conversation - which includes the child - wouldn't hurt.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,543 Member Member Posts: 5,543 Member
    Something like family meals at 7 and 5, with lunch around noon or at school, which some would consider IF, I guess? Sure, why not, if that fits the schedule and the child is getting plenty to eat.

Something like an older child (like a teen) not eating breakfast due to personal preference? Again, sure, if the teen seems to be functioning well. I was to make my own breakfast at that age and skipped it since I wasn't hungry for much (and didn't like non cooked breakfasts or to get up any earlier than necessary -- have always hated cold cereal), and was fine.

5/2? No way, not for a child.

Encouraging fasting as a weight loss method? Nope, although cutting out snacking might be a reasonable approach to try if an overweight child was interested in it as an idea.
    edited June 9
  • freda78freda78 Member Posts: 120 Member Member Posts: 120 Member
    harper16 wrote: »
    No.
    Why not set a good example regarding everything in moderation, and being active as a family instead of getting them started early on fad diets?

Probably not for kids - but IF is not a "fad diet".

Also "skipping breakfast" is not IF, it is just not eating breakfast.
    edited June 10
  • staticsplitstaticsplit Member Posts: 539 Member Member Posts: 539 Member
    I'm not keen on anything that could potentially mess up a child's relationship with food. Fostering good habits, balance, and a healthy relationship with nutrition and exercise is the way to go.