"No offense, but you're getting kinda big."

2»

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Now contrast this with other posts that say "I didn't realize how big I was getting. Why didn't anyone tell me?"
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Now contrast this with other posts that say "I didn't realize how big I was getting. Why didn't anyone tell me?"

It's all in the delivery, my friend. Sensitive subjects can be delivered (should be) with kid gloves.

Sure, you're right about that. But it could be in the reception rather than the delivery.

And I feel where the OP is coming from. When I was near my heaviest, my great uncle told me straight out in a room full of people that I was the "fattest one in the Jruzer family", and that obviously was not meant as a gentle encouragement. It sucked, and hurt. But I wasn't about to insult (or punch in the throat - really?) my 80-year-old WW2-veteran great uncle, either.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    Then the other day she called to ask what size I’m wearing now 🙄

"Not as big as your mouth."

>:)
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Just ignore it and say, "thanks for noticing"... Sometimes I like to throw in "I am working on my winter body." Life is too short to give any Fs.

I have been called fat so many times by family members, even to this day at only 124 pounds and a size 4/6... When I introduced my fiancé to my family, one cousin asked me if he was blind, and another said that I am so lucky thick girls are trending. Just last week my mom said she was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find a wedding dress in my size, and questioned if the church was large enough for me to fit down the aisle. I used to be obese and I think people like family still see me that way, but even when I was a size 18/20 I would still be able to find a dress and certainly fit down an aisle. WTF? Once my Aunt even questioned if I was able to fit through a subway turnstile in NYC, and that was when I weighed 145 lb. I bet she still thinks I can't fit. Geez... So moral of the story, just ignore all comments about your size.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Don't let any of those comments grind you down. Try to keep it in neutral and not be swayed by flattery or wounded by harsh criticism. Super-egos enjoy making others feel small. I can spot them a mile away.
  • JustCallMeWhatever
    JustCallMeWhatever Posts: 125 Member
    JenG20 wrote: »
    Recently got this comment from a family member. It definitely caught me off guard. Not sure if anyone has been in a similar situation. If so how did you handle this?

Challenge accepted.