How long to maintain before buying new clothes?

2»

Replies

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    We call them op shops here in Australia. They and Target were my best friends and I started buying new clothes as soon as my weight loss started becoming noticeable even though I wasn't near goal weight.

Ironically, the clothes i was buying in the op shops were way more stylish/fashionable/better brand names than the ones I had been used to wearing :P As I lost weight, I donated clothes back and bought new ones.
  • galadrielandme
    galadrielandme Posts: 3 Member
    I visited an outlet mall the other day, and the retailers had things marked down 60-80%. I bought brand new things that they were selling at near- thrift store prices. I was shocked.

Bad for the economy but boy it was great for me.

It’s a wierd little window, but seems you can work it to your advantage.

It is very weird trying to shop for a new size during a pandemic! But you’re right the sales are good - I went ahead and bought a pair of jeans identical to a pair I had just in the next size down. It was a bit of a risk but it also only set me back $30 because the sales are so intense rn. And it worked out! The better fitting clothes are definitely worth the mood and motivation boost.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Buy as soon as possible. You look SO much better. Go to Goodwill or another store that's inexpensive.

I started with a few pairs of good pants and then bought inexpensive tees at Target. Then I complemented with scarves and other accessories I already owned and built up a wardrobe over a few months.

But dump the pants and shirts that are too big and make you look dumpy. It also makes it too easy to let your weight slip back up. All the research says it's easy to lose and hard to maintain. Support your maintenance.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I also altered a lot of my shirts and learned to take in pants. Skirts are easy to alter. Only did that with the ones I loved.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    I echo the thrift buy! When I went from a size 12 jean that looked atrocious they were so big, to a size 9 baggy I was shocked! But what a motivator. A few items will get you by and I now wear my thrift clothes for yard/barn work.
  • dawnkirkwood18
    dawnkirkwood18 Posts: 41 Member
    If you have Facebook search it for your town’s (or neighboring town’s) Buy Nothing group- it is a movement to allow swap and gifting amongst members- people post “wishes” and offerings daily. Clothes- kids and adult- go regularly. Similar postings on our town community boards and other groups. I also frequented thrift shops and consignment stores. New to me clothes are necessary to help me see the loss. . . good luck!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I hate shopping for clothes so I waited until I was swimming in them before buying something new. It's annoying, but not as annoying as shopping. If I didn't mind shopping it would have been a couple of cheap outfits every time I went down a size.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The thrift store option is a good one, or just one or two basic outfits you can change up the look of with accessories. Another option is to pick some styles that have more longevity through varied weights. For example, one useful thing I got was some dark, loose, plain linen pants that have a gathered inside drawstring at the waist.

Tops that have a tie in the side-seam then tie at the back may be an option, or a tunic-type style that can be belted for fit. In summer, tank tops with a lightweight loose, open overshirt can work in some situations (the tanks don't fit forever, but they're potentially pretty inexpensive). If you ever wear dresses, lightweight loose ones you can belt or tie can work, too.

What did I do personally? I hateHateHATE to clothes shop. I limped along as long as I could while losing, using some of the strategies above. Because I hate to shop, and don't like spending money on clothes ever at all, my clothes tend toward civilian "uniforms" anyway: Plain pants/slacks, plain simple t-shirts or tanks, plain/simple jackets or sweaters and overshirts, with the pants and jacket-y things in neutral colors (black, gray, navy, ecru) and the t-shirts/tanks in mostly jewel reds, purples and teals. I make and enjoy jewelry, so varying the jewelry (or sometimes a scarf/shawl) changes the look enough. No one really notices if one wears the same plain black slacks every other day, so while losing, I could do with just one or two pair, depending on how well the (soon-)previous size still fit, or the next(-soon) size was getting close enough. ;) Just a couple of basic dresses (clearance or resale shop) cover dressy occasions: Right now, I have a black lace one for summer, and a red velvet-ish one for Winter, and I didn't buy either one until I needed them. It'll do.

I finally found someone feels the same. I thought I was odd.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The thrift store option is a good one, or just one or two basic outfits you can change up the look of with accessories. Another option is to pick some styles that have more longevity through varied weights. For example, one useful thing I got was some dark, loose, plain linen pants that have a gathered inside drawstring at the waist.

Tops that have a tie in the side-seam then tie at the back may be an option, or a tunic-type style that can be belted for fit. In summer, tank tops with a lightweight loose, open overshirt can work in some situations (the tanks don't fit forever, but they're potentially pretty inexpensive). If you ever wear dresses, lightweight loose ones you can belt or tie can work, too.

What did I do personally? I hateHateHATE to clothes shop. I limped along as long as I could while losing, using some of the strategies above. Because I hate to shop, and don't like spending money on clothes ever at all, my clothes tend toward civilian "uniforms" anyway: Plain pants/slacks, plain simple t-shirts or tanks, plain/simple jackets or sweaters and overshirts, with the pants and jacket-y things in neutral colors (black, gray, navy, ecru) and the t-shirts/tanks in mostly jewel reds, purples and teals. I make and enjoy jewelry, so varying the jewelry (or sometimes a scarf/shawl) changes the look enough. No one really notices if one wears the same plain black slacks every other day, so while losing, I could do with just one or two pair, depending on how well the (soon-)previous size still fit, or the next(-soon) size was getting close enough. ;) Just a couple of basic dresses (clearance or resale shop) cover dressy occasions: Right now, I have a black lace one for summer, and a red velvet-ish one for Winter, and I didn't buy either one until I needed them. It'll do.

I finally found someone feels the same. I thought I was odd.

Not odd at all clothes shopping is horrible and boring even when you're slimmer and feeling confident. I don't get it at all.

I go into a charity shop and grab a couple of things in my new size as quickly as possible.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Several years ago I lost about 30 pounds. My clothes were really tight to begin with, so they lasted longer than if I'd been wearing a comfortable size at my highest weight. But I felt like in order to buy new ones, it had to literally be like I zipped up my pants and they fell down to my knees, so I was just still wearing my baggy clothes. One day a friend complimented me on my weight loss and I said, "Thanks, I've lost 30 pounds." A few days later, I saw her again but was wearing my fitted workout clothes (those were new, because I'd previously had no workout clothes :D ). She said, "OMG! You really have lost 30 pounds! I can totally tell now that you're not wearing your baggy clothes." That right there motivated me to go out and buy a few new things- two sizes smaller.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    I hate to shop, too. I did get rid of clothes that were:
    Too old- faded-worn
    Needed mending
    Colors that were no flattering
    Ones I never liked, but all I could find that fit in the past
    Wayyyy too large

I kept a few items that I thought I might get tailored, but haven’t

I accidentally kept a pair of large jeans which I use when my brain used to tell me nothing had changed :)

I’ve only bought a handful of new things. About the time COVID hit, I was gearing up to venture to the stores.

Because I don’t know my current sizes in maintenance, it’s difficult to order online & I hate figuring out how to return...

I *just* Re-organized my clothes today & realized how many of them are not “10’s”
    I’m going to have to solve this!!

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    I’m nowhere near my goal currently, but my clothes are loosening up and I’m starting to dread living in clothes that don’t fit for the next few months while I lose weight. I’m planning to save some money to buy new clothes when I’m in my maintenance range. But should I maintain for a while before I buy new things, since so many factors determine the best maintenance weight and I won’t know right away? What did you do?

I have been thrifting one new outfit a month while I lose so I have things that fit and become loose over time. Eventually I will donate it back to the place I got it from.
  • RosariaNatchimone
    RosariaNatchimone Posts: 4 Member
    Absolutely celebrate your success, give your self a reward buy a few outfits .