Gaining weight, help!

13»

Replies

• andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    I'd like to add that I had a similar experience in March and April and finally found that walking was not enough of a calorie burn (For my lifestyle) Logging 10-12,000 steps was awesome but doing 30 min HIIT classes made me sweat and took less time and are MUCH easier to fit into my day than 2 hour long hikes. Of course, I still love to hike and even more when you can go with a friend but I've chalked it up to maintenance calorie burn and if I want to loose lbs, I need to sweat and get heart rate up. For me, HIIT classes on Youtube work.

I know you are a Mom - me too. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is!!
  • missuswife
    missuswife Posts: 26 Member
    andimickey wrote: »
    I'd like to add that I had a similar experience in March and April and finally found that walking was not enough of a calorie burn (For my lifestyle) Logging 10-12,000 steps was awesome but doing 30 min HIIT classes made me sweat and took less time and are MUCH easier to fit into my day than 2 hour long hikes. Of course, I still love to hike and even more when you can go with a friend but I've chalked it up to maintenance calorie burn and if I want to loose lbs, I need to sweat and get heart rate up. For me, HIIT classes on Youtube work.

I appreciate the feedback but I think you misread my post. I’m not walking. I’m doing Leslie Sansone “walk” videos that incorporate power walking with HIIT. They range from 15 minutes to 45 minutes in length. I do the 30 minute ones and I am definitely sweating and out of breath. They’re on YouTube if you wanna check them out.
  • missuswife
    edited June 2020
    LKArgh wrote: »
    missuswife wrote: »
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I have an Apple Watch & use Pacer since MFP doesn’t integrate well with Apple Watch. Connect Apple Health & Watch to Pacer, and in MFP, select Pacer for steps. Do you track your home workouts in Apple Watch or just let the watch count movements and steps? If you end up using Pacer, and track a workout, you will see a double adjustment. One from Pacer, one from Apple Health. Delete the Apple Health bc it’s a double entry. Your adjustment in MFP will be your total “move calories” in Apple Watch. At that point, you’d want to set your activity level to not very active or your projection will be too high.
    My TDEE in Apple Watch matches MFP and I have mine set to not very active.

When I do the workout video, I track it as a workout on my watch. It tracks my heart rate etc.

Around the house, I just let the watch count steps. Without the workout, it counts around 8k steps daily. Before the lockdown it was usually 10k/day, as I was getting out walking the kids to school, shopping, etc.

My oldest son got a watch for his birthday a couple of years ago. Cannot remember the brand, we did not keep it long, but one of the expensive ones. He wore it to school. Even on days without PE, he was easily logging over 5K steps while at school. He knew he did not even do 1K steps. No idea what the watch was tracking, perhaps hand gestures? My son does use his hands a lot. Or a calibration issue? No idea, but it was rather funny. He did not want to keep it anyway and chose to exchange it with a friend, so we never found out, but honestly, I would be sceptical if a watch logged 8 K steps while I was not leaving my home at all.

I do take my watch off when I’m knitting or it counts my hand gestures as steps for sure, but before you make assumptions about my daily steps, I’d love to lend you out my two active five year old boys for a couple days 😂

Three story house, three kids all playing in different rooms calling “mommy mommy”, plus I actually remodeled my kitchen last year to make it LESS efficient, I swear to Beyoncé I am not making this up. During the remodel, my steps dipped to around 4k/day because I wasn’t accessing the basement play room or using the kitchen to prep and cook. We did everything in our tiny living room. My new kitchen is long and I avoided the sink/counter/fridge triangle design to make myself move more. Once the remodel was complete, my steps went back up!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    missuswife wrote: »
    andimickey wrote: »

I appreciate the feedback but I think you misread my post. I’m not walking. I’m doing Leslie Sansone “walk” videos that incorporate power walking with HIIT. They range from 15 minutes to 45 minutes in length. I do the 30 minute ones and I am definitely sweating and out of breath. They’re on YouTube if you wanna check them out.

General note: do not judge calories burned by how you feel. I can swim for hours without feeling exhausted, usually I am just bored of the repetition when I give up. I have not run for years, and if I jog around the block to catch the bus, I feel completely exhausted. Obviously one hour of swimming burns more than running a block's distance ;)
  • missuswife
    Hey I wanted to come back and update you all on my progress. Today I weighed in and I lost a pound from last week! I also see more definition in my calves and my clothes feel a bit looser in the belly area.

I’ve been eating half the exercise calories and at least 2 liters/day of water. I actually upped my carbs a little, too. I’m still not sure what’s going on but I’ll take the loss!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Bask in it, @missuswife. You've worked hard. Keep us posted on the changes you're making.