When do you eat the bulk of your calories

Options
mc62412
mc62412 Posts: 195 Member
When do you eat the most of your calories ? At any specific time of day ( breakfast, lunch or dinner ).
Does it really make a difference when you eat the bulk of your calories ? My diner tends to be higher then the rest of my day.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It’s usually at dinnertime but it can also be breakfast, lunch or I might eat more calories in snacks than in any of my meals, it just depends on my hunger. I didn’t have a problem losing weight as predicted by counting calories and I’ve maintained for 6+ years.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I prefer a larger dinner. Breakfast is usually about 300-35p calories, same with lunch. Then dinner can be about 800, with 200 or so left for dessert.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Half from breakfast to dinner, the rest dinner and dessert (usually like to split it 1200-1500 cals)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2/3 between supper and early evening. But time of day is only important in how it satisfies you. How often you eat or times don't affect weigh loss long term.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I eat the bulk of mine in the evening, usually between 7pm and 9pm. I'll usually eat about half my calories throughout the day, and then the other half in those 2-ish hours. I don't have a strict timeframe, but I just prefer to sleep with food in my stomach.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Lunch and the hours after. I run or hike in the morning and am very hungry by lunch, and usually also want some snacks/dessert type stuff and a coffee not long after. My breakfasts and dinners are light in comparison.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Between about 5-11pm right now. Once I go back to work it will be 2pm-10pm.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Looking at my diary, I would say I eat just about the same amount of calories at each meal, about 375. That allows me some snacking.
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my largest meal at lunchtime and have something lighter at dinner. This works best for me
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    12-2pm.
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have a light breakfast at work about 9 and my largest meal is lunch about noon. Afternoon snack around 4 and a really something light....sometimes.... when I get home. I don't like eating heavy close to bedtime and I live alone so dont have to worry about family mealtimes and such.
    I find for me that this is most successful. When I eat a lot at night my weight loss slows even when eating the same calorie amount. . I know this isnt the case for most people but for myself it's a thing.
    So short answer 9-1
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mc62412 wrote: »
    When do you eat the most of your calories ? At any specific time of day ( breakfast, lunch or dinner ).
    Does it really make a difference when you eat the bulk of your calories ? My diner tends to be higher then the rest of my day.

• gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    At this point it is at dinner. I lived in Europe for many years where the big meal of the day is lunch. I easily lost weight there, because you work it off just moving around. However in the US it's very hard to have the big meal in the middle of the day because of almost no lunch hours and you do want to eat with your family and eat the same food.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    About 4 pm. Because that is when I’m hungriest.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    When I'm awake.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Usually lunch around 2-4 pm for me. Doesn't really matter, whatever makes things easier for you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Usually for dinner, which I have 2-3 hours before bed. Psychologically, I do better when I know throughout the day that I still have plenty of food to eat and it helps me avoid evening snacking.
  • sirjamerie
    sirjamerie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Evening.
    If I didn't have to take medicine in the morning, I'd probably skip breakfast. But now I eat a light breakfast, a little more for lunch and leave most of it for dinner and night time snacks. Dinner is always with the family so I have less influence on what I eat. Night time is when the family is at home and I'm a social snacker. I eat when I see people eat so I try to save up my calories during the day for that
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Lunch and dinner. Usually a large lunch means a light dinner, and vice versa. I haven't been able to eat a big breakfast since I had my kids, and that works out okay because of when I work out; I come home and can eat lunch, and not have a lot on my stomach.