Protein for Vegetarians

Options
Hey guys!

I need some protein suggestions for vegetarians. I’m trying to incorporate hemp seeds, chia seeds and almonds into all my meals, but it’s getting boring and I’m still having trouble meeting my protein most days. I also have a sensitivity to milk, eggs and soy so those are a no go 😩. I supplement with protein bars but those are sugary and high cals ...

Any meal/snack suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu, seitan, tempeh, nooch and spirulina are all great protein sources. Steel cut oats, plant protein powder and sprouted seeds are also fab. Fresh foods high in protein include spinach, asparagus, broccoli and green peas as some of the highest. I am vegan and have never had an issue with having too little protein. Plant-based eating is definitely not boring when done properly. Good luck! It’s fun
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    With your milk sensitivity are you able to eat yoghurt?
    The lactic acid is modified in the yoghurt, so some people who can’t drink milk can eat yoghurt.
  • autumn_auras
    autumn_auras Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have never tried! Maybe I should give it a try and see what happens! 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • autumn_auras
    autumn_auras Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu, seitan, tempeh, nooch and spirulina are all great protein sources. Steel cut oats, plant protein powder and sprouted seeds are also fab. Fresh foods high in protein include spinach, asparagus, broccoli and green peas as some of the highest. I am vegan and have never had an issue with having too little protein. Plant-based eating is definitely not boring when done properly. Good luck! It’s fun

Wow what a great list! Thank you. My goal is to go vegan but I’m taking baby steps. I definitely need to start incorporating more seeds and legumes. I am trying to eat whole foods but it’s hard sometimes sacrificing the convenience of a microwave dinner.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Wow what a great list! Thank you. My goal is to go vegan but I’m taking baby steps. I definitely need to start incorporating more seeds and legumes. I am trying to eat whole foods but it’s hard sometimes sacrificing the convenience of a microwave dinner.

Yeah most vegan dishes do require more prep generally as a lot of it is fresh or dried. Just make sure to check anything processed because the sodium content is often very high and the calories can be as well. It’s so much fun cooking plant-based. You can get so creative
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    If you can eat beans, just not soybeans, then another thing to consider is chickpea, bean or pea pastas and "rice" (really more like bean orzo, but it's usually with the rice in stores and labeled accordingly). These have around twice the protein of regular wheat pasta. Brand makes a difference in texture, and so does cooking for the right amount of time. Some brands have better flavor than others, IMO, too. (I like various ones, but Banza is one that's pretty widely available here.)

I've found the black bean pastas to be a bit chewy in small sizes (like spaghetti), but I enjoy them in pseudo-Asian preparations. A favorite uses another good protein source, almond powder or peanut butter powder (PB2, PBfit, etc.). I combine that with some vegan chile paste and rice vinegar (with any other seasonings you want, like minced garlic, grated fresh ginger, or whatever). I use the vinegar to make it a suitable consistency to mix into the cooked black bean spaghetti, and add stir-fried veggies to it as well, or maybe (if in a rush) cooked frozen peas and finely chopped sweet onion or green onion instead of the stir-fried veg.

The peanut butter or almond powders are mostly de-fatted, so much lower in calories than the nuts themselves. They can be mixed into lots of things to add a nice peanut or almond flavor and some protein, but not a huge calorie hit.

Bigger-size black bean pastas I haven't liked that much: The brands I've tried seem to go from undercooked to mushy too fast. I've tried several, and end up using them up in soups/stews where the texture isn't an issue.

Chickpea flour can be used in a variety of recipes, including some traditional classics like socca/farinata, panelle, besan chilla, and modern dishes of many kinds (baked goods, pancakes, etc.).

I'd second the idea of seitan (as long as gluten isn't a problem, because that's what it is) and nutritional yeast ("nooch"), plus add marmite to the list, if you like it. I also like using miso in cooking, which is used in small amounts so a modest protein contribution, but not many calories and it adds rich flavor.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of great info above. I like this guy's information a lot.

https://www.nomeatathlete.com/where-vegetarians-get-protein/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to add peas and mushrooms for a little protein boost.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I used to hate protein shakes but they have grown on me now. My favorites are Orgain chocolate peanut butter, Bob’s red mill vanilla, and unflavored. You may also try higher protein bread and pasta.
  • FoolishJoy
    FoolishJoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    With your milk sensitivity are you able to eat yoghurt?
    The lactic acid is modified in the yoghurt, so some people who can’t drink milk can eat yoghurt.

I'm one of these people, and so is my daughter. We eat yogurt and labneh almost every day for some of our plant-based protein.