How do people like exercise??

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Since you are busy, and also out of shape, start simple and include the kids. Babies and toddlers love being outdoors, so just start by walking. Choose the time of the day when you think works best for the 2 yo, and walk. It does not have to be a super long walk, and it does not have to be fast, and it can be neither with two youngs kids anyway. So just set a goal to get into the habit of a half an hour daily walk. It is good exercise, awesome start and if you pick the right time, it will also help the baby sleep and the toddler burn some energy.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I won't do things I hate just because I think I should, and am by no means a natural athlete!

I discovered a love of running eventually. I was in my early 30's when I joined a beginners couch to 5k course and it went from there. Always have been on and off periods though.

Do you have anyone who can help with the children? So for example, you all go swimming and they watch them while you fit in a few lengths? How about dancing? I don't mean formal lessons, there are several places round me where they have an evening every week in a bar. You can go with a few mates and have a laugh.

Yoga/Tai chi - there are lots of online resources and it would be quite an easy thing to fit around other stuff.

Anything you do decide to try, make sure to give it a few weeks. You need to get over the first bit, where you don't understand anything and it hurts, before you can properly assess whether or not it's something you like.
    Even then there might be days when you think it was all a stupid idea.
    (I spent this winter doing race training. 5 hours on the trails in the pouring rain is enough to make you consider your life choices!)
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I like the way I feel after exercise. I rarely look forward to a run. I do a lot of complaining beforehand lol. But I love the way I feel after. And I love that I can have more food.

And it does help to try different exercises to see which ones you enjoy or at least hate the least. If I had access to a pool I would totally trade in my running for swimming. Some people prefer classes because they get a social element with their workouts. Some like cardio, some like lifting. Some like yoga or Pilates. Some prefer to make their exercise more play than a traditional workout at the gym - like hiking or tennis or racquetball. Don’t keep doing something if you hate it but keep trying new things.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I love exercise but need a goal of sorts. To get stronger is too wishy-washy. Learn to do 10 proper pushups and a single proper pull-up is a goal though. Go on a 10 mile hike? Nah. Find some special geocaches along the way or visit a castle or whatever along the route. Learn the splits: oh, my muscles are super tight and get tighter when I stretch. Long foam rolling, massaging and careful stretching sessions ahead.

Things for you: show your boys some nature, flowers, animals somewhere outside. If everything gets too much then try to create time for yourself: give the little ones to their dad and have an hour just for yourself: either work out, or enjoy a lovely bath, or a massage, or something else. Relaxation time is also important.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise. I'm 65yo, way too big, male, with underlying med conditions, so I should be exercising. A lot. Instead, I ride my bike and enjoy the outdoors. I ride to the beach (Jersey shore) in summer, and swim. I hike in our beautiful parks, enjoying nature, nothing extreme, "light hiking," and walking (boardwalks and parks). In the winter, I go to the gym to do things so I can do these other things in their seasons. But I don't think, "exercise!" I DO think, "activity!"

All this, plus some dietary modification, has led me to lose about 70-80lbs over the last couple of years (covid lockdown has me cycling up-and-down a little, and I'm hoping to get off this merry-go-round as the lockdowns lift and summer continues progressing). I've got another 50 lbs to go, easily. And, overall, I'm feeling much better and am healthier overall than I was a couple of years ago, after retiring from a sedentary, road-warrior existence in the IT field where I could do none of the above except eat. But "exercise"? Nah! LOL.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    creesama wrote: »
    I've struggled with exercising since grade school. Now I'm a 30 year old mom of a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old working 3 days a week and keeping up with life the best I can. I'm morbidly obese and starting to eat better, but I just can't figure out how to enjoy exercise or how to set myself up better for success. What do you guys do?

Start with short workouts and small goals like 60 minutes of activity per week. 6 x 10 or 4 x 15. Activity can be walking, dancing, yoga.....anything.

Google 10 minute workouts on Youtube. Keep trying new things. You will find that you are gradually becoming more fit. Becoming fit will be a feeling you like.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Listening to upbeat music makes all the difference between whether I hate exercise or enjoy it: elliptical machine, rowing machine, walking my neighborhood streets, lifting weights, running: all vastly improved by some great tunes!
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to try and focus on small changes. For instance, after my babe's 4 month Dr appointment this morning, instead of going back in the house when we got home, I pulled out the stroller and went for a walk. My toddler was having fun running around an empty parking lot near our house, so I just kept moving by doing laps back and forth. Not a huge workout, but I kept moving for 20 or so minutes instead of sitting and watching him run. Baby steps

That's great!!! Everyone on MFP had a day 1 (and some of us have had several). Keep it up--you've got this!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to try and focus on small changes. For instance, after my babe's 4 month Dr appointment this morning, instead of going back in the house when we got home, I pulled out the stroller and went for a walk. My toddler was having fun running around an empty parking lot near our house, so I just kept moving by doing laps back and forth. Not a huge workout, but I kept moving for 20 or so minutes instead of sitting and watching him run. Baby steps

Perfect! Keep it enjoyable, and keep going. ;)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I started with hiking and really enjoyed seeing all the views and wildlife. Then realized I can see more if I move faster, so got into running (usually trails). But then I switched to road racing because road marathons are such a big social event.... also, I ended up making goals for a marathon in each of the 50 states and such.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I love my gym and all my gym friends, all the classes like Zumba, so much fun. I guess I am lucky that way.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hate running...I did it for years b/c I thought it was the only way to "not be fat." Little bit of back story...I was very overweight pre-teen to mid-teen years. I lost 65lbs between the age of 14-20. How??? Mostly better food choices and running.

Fast forward, my weight was stable until I had kids. I lost the baby weight, BUT I couldn't physically or mentally handle running anymore. I switched to lifting, and it was like a switch had been flipped. I really physically enjoy lifting. The mental component of having to focus on the body and movement while lifting really helped improve my mood, and helped my mind calm down...instead of constantly being in overdrive.

Just start slow and keep going. You might find something you really enjoy or at least can tolerate.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You just need to identify your "why?"

Is it to feel good about yourself?

Is it to attract romantic partners?

Is it to become a positive role model for your kids?

Is it to live a long and healthy life?

Maybe all of the above? Maybe something else?
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just do it for my health.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I first became more active I can honestly say that exercise was a chore and, at times, unpleasant but as I got fitter and felt better (both physically and mentally) I actually started looking forward to my runs and bike rides. For me what also helped was that I took up racing and while I'm very much a middle-of-the-pack runner / triathlete I've been very encouraged by seeing my results improve over time.