Anyone do Les Mills Classes?

Options

Replies

• icemaiden013
    Options
    I love the Les Mills classes. My favourite classes are Step, BodyAttack, BodyJam and (to a lesser extent Pump). I use a HRM to track my calories burned - I generally avg around 550 for Step and BodyAttack, around 450-500 for Jam (or Zumba) and only about 260-300 for Pump :sad: However, Pump apparently keeps your metabolism raised for 48 hours afterwards so the benefits continue on :-)

It depends on your height, weight, age etc as to the number of cals you'll burn. The main thing is to have fun! I really enjoy it so motivation is never an issue!

Good luck with it! :smile:

Pump sounds pretty impressive! Though I'm still intimidated by it!! LOL!!

I LOVE attack, in spite of nursing a calf injury I still go 3 times a week at least, I'd just like to know how much I'm burning I guess!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    I do them Nd love them! I hVemt stepped on a piece of cardio equipment in 3 weeks! And am losing more :) I have only done pump a few times, was so sore after, rpm is awesome too! I'm about to start trying some more here this week
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    l love pump and sat burned 400 calories in class (bit low think l slacked off a bit) but as someone else said you burn calories for a while after this class, like attack and can burn 600 calories in it but have a foot injury so can't do any impact, have done step but again can't do that at the moment. Balance is a good stretching one can't think how many calories l do in that one - haven't done it for a while.

Thanks! I've hurt my calf (and it's been a 7 week long, so far, injury) but love attack so much, I fight through it lol!! I hope you heal soon so you can get back!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    i do 2x RPM classes and 1xStep class a week, love them. the teachers are great and it helps keep me motivated.
    i use a Polar HRM during all my exercise and for step usually get around 400 cals (i have to do alot of the low impact options due to bad knees/ankles) and around the same for RPM

Sounds good to me! How do you find step? is it hard?
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I do Body Pump, Body Attack and Body Combat. I have tried most of the other LM classes but I did not find the workout was as intense. I usually log my workout for attack and combat using kick boxing. I work really hard during the class so I am not suprised if I burn about 500 calories.

Thanks! Do you find pump harder than attack/combat?
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I'm a big Les Mills fan - and Pump is my absolute favourite! I credit it for helping turn my weight loss around, after I started going at least twice a week, and lifting heavier.

(In fact, the studio manager of the gym just asked me to write up my fitness story so he can use it in publicity <blush>)

Also love Combat, and try to get to Balance once a week.

Not a big fan of Attack - too fast and noisy for me (but huge respect for those who can do it!) and I've never really got into spin classes.

its hard to give definitive calorie burns, as it depends so much on your own weight, as well as how much effort you put in. But from my HRM, I easily top 500 cals for Combat class, and depending on how heavy I'm lifting, around 400 for Pump. Balance, 200-300.

Good to find some more fans!

hehe I think that's why I like Attack so much, fast and noisy...that and everyone else sweats buckets like I do!! LOL!!!

I think i'm just gonna have to cave and get a monitor!
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Les Mills classes! I do pump once a week and combat twice a week. I used to do attack every Sunday but stopped for a while as I was getting bored but I went again this Sunday and loved it all over again. I also do balance occasionally.

My favourtie is without question combat. I am a total combat addict! The instructor is completely nuts and never does the whole of the new releases. He mixes them up every class so much so that I don't think one class is ever the same as another. This makes it much more interesting.

I initially was scared of going to pump but now I love it. Just tell the instructor that you haven't done it before and they will help you with your weight selections. It makes me feel as though I am getting stronger and I love being able to up my weights as I progress.

I track my calories with an HRM. Combat is usually anywhere between 500-700 depending on how much mad jumping around he has us doing. Attack is also around the same - 450-650. Pump calories depend on what I have been doing before. Sometimes as low as 200 and as high as 400.

My gym doesn't do RPM but we have regular spinning classes which I try and go to once a week.

Happy attacking and all the others!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    If you keep going to the same instructor, ey do the same songs, but add more in gradually. Go back to Zumba girl! I didn't like it my first class because of the same reason and a URL told me what I just told you. It's all the same moves basically. Some instructors will though tell you what to do more or less, but the class is designed for everyone to go at their own pace, if you can't pull off what they're doing, them just do your own thing for that part! I love my instructor :) but see I've tried two other instructors and stick with just her. On my hrm I burn about 750-890 at the most :)
    I usually go to Combat which I really like and I have occasionally gone to Pump. I have only done Attack once...I didn't care for it as much. I teach Zumba at Gold's so if there is a class before mine or if I'm going to another instructors class I will jump in. I've done Spinning a few times but again it's not something I love. I do really like the classes...makes the time go by faster.

For a high intensity I usually log around 650. But it's really gonna depend on your height and weight.

Good luck on your journey.

I'm about 5ft 5 and 235lbs :-/ ouch, doesn't look so good when it's written down lol!!

I didn't like zumba, there was no instruction, the 'teacher' just 'did' and we were meant to follow, I like being told what to do! Surprised you didn't like Attack as much, it's my favourite so far and I haven't found a class to beat it as a workout yet!
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Yea and body pump I had to ask someone in the class too what stuff to bring in :) but building that muscle will burn more calories later on :)
  • AmyCS
    Options
    Hiya :)

I do Body Pump, Body Combat and Body Balance, and they're all fantastic. I tried Body Attack once but didn't enjoy it as much. I like the more martial art approach of Combat and Balance. Pump is fantastic and leaves me in pain for a good couple of days afterwards lol. I've got 3 Pump, one Combat, 2 Balance and 2 Pilates classes booked for the rest of this week.
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump, Body Attack and Body Combat. I have tried most of the other LM classes but I did not find the workout was as intense. I usually log my workout for attack and combat using kick boxing. I work really hard during the class so I am not suprised if I burn about 500 calories.

Thanks! Do you find pump harder than attack/combat?

I find pump much easier than attack or combat because you can choose your weights. I typically choose weights in the intermediate range and I feel it the next day. The first few classes it was hard to follow but if you let the teacher know you are new they will help you out, as does everyone in the class it seems (people are nice at my gym!) I find attack (especially) and combat are a lot more difficult because they are an hour of cardio. I push myself really hard the entire time and I am drenched in sweat by the time I leave. I do see others who go through the motions instead of really working though so they don't get the same work out. I think it depends on how much you put into it.
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I LOVE Les Mills classes! I do pump once a week and combat twice a week. I used to do attack every Sunday but stopped for a while as I was getting bored but I went again this Sunday and loved it all over again. I also do balance occasionally.

My favourtie is without question combat. I am a total combat addict! The instructor is completely nuts and never does the whole of the new releases. He mixes them up every class so much so that I don't think one class is ever the same as another. This makes it much more interesting.

I initially was scared of going to pump but now I love it. Just tell the instructor that you haven't done it before and they will help you with your weight selections. It makes me feel as though I am getting stronger and I love being able to up my weights as I progress.

I track my calories with an HRM. Combat is usually anywhere between 500-700 depending on how much mad jumping around he has us doing. Attack is also around the same - 450-650. Pump calories depend on what I have been doing before. Sometimes as low as 200 and as high as 400.

My gym doesn't do RPM but we have regular spinning classes which I try and go to once a week.

Happy attacking and all the others!

I haven't even heard of Balance yet, so I'm now intrigued!! I just didn't 'get' the combat thing, I mean I enjoyed it and had fun, but it didn't feel as much of a work out as Attack...which kills me every time! LOL! I've never gotten bored of Attack either, our instructors always mix old stuff, really old stuff and the current release so it's never dull!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    If you keep going to the same instructor, ey do the same songs, but add more in gradually. Go back to Zumba girl! I didn't like it my first class because of the same reason and a URL told me what I just told you. It's all the same moves basically. Some instructors will though tell you what to do more or less, but the class is designed for everyone to go at their own pace, if you can't pull off what they're doing, them just do your own thing for that part! I love my instructor :) but see I've tried two other instructors and stick with just her. On my hrm I burn about 750-890 at the most :)

hmmm I'll maybe go back, I dunno, I think when i'm not so heavy and clunky I'll feel more comfortable doing zumba, but I just felt like an elephant stomping around clueless! That's a great calorie burn though!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    Hiya :)

I do Body Pump, Body Combat and Body Balance, and they're all fantastic. I tried Body Attack once but didn't enjoy it as much. I like the more martial art approach of Combat and Balance. Pump is fantastic and leaves me in pain for a good couple of days afterwards lol. I've got 3 Pump, one Combat, 2 Balance and 2 Pilates classes booked for the rest of this week.

Wow that's a lot! I'm surprised to see so many people around here not diggin' the Attack classes!!! I sooooo preferred it to the Combat class I took, not that I disliked the class, I just preferred the Attack...maybe it was the combat instructor or something...hmmm!

Is balance cardio? or strength training? I've never heard of it!

When you started out, how many classes a week did you do?
  • icemaiden013
    Options

I find pump much easier than attack or combat because you can choose your weights. I typically choose weights in the intermediate range and I feel it the next day. The first few classes it was hard to follow but if you let the teacher know you are new they will help you out, as does everyone in the class it seems (people are nice at my gym!) I find attack (especially) and combat are a lot more difficult because they are an hour of cardio. I push myself really hard the entire time and I am drenched in sweat by the time I leave. I do see others who go through the motions instead of really working though so they don't get the same work out. I think it depends on how much you put into it.

I think you're right, you get out of it what you put in, I'm normally seriously sweating by the time i'm done with Attack, it's all kinds of gross, but then I know i'm doing something right! LOL!

So pump is strength training? not cardio? it's all weights?
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    I do Attack x 2, Combat x 2, RPM x 1 and Body Pump x 3 per week. LOVE les Mills classes. Have quite a bit of weight to lose and hoping this will boost it!

Have heard that the new Attack release is VERY hard, comes here this week!

7 classes a week? man! I think I'll build up to that one!!! LOL!!! I can't wait for the new release, we don't get it til late October here!

Also, I know how to physically log the exercise, I just dunno how many calories I burn!

I just use the calories MFP attches to aerobics for my weight! I have no idea how accurate it is! So don't eat all my exercise cals back in case!
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    Pump is great, but you need to do it at least twice a week to get decent results, no more than every other day though, I go for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

You start of mega light! Like literally 1kg on arms and shoulders, chest and back and 2 1/2 on squats. You work at learning the correct form, the can build up after that!

Its not hard like attack, although you might be very sore for a couple of days after your first one! Give it a go, I am large too, currently 208 and it is really changing my body shape!
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    I do BodyPump and I LOVE it. So much better than lifting weights on my own or using machines!

I am 5'6" and I currently weigh 196 (down 29 lbs since April!!!) and I burn 600-700 cals in a 1 hr pump class. I am using moderate weights. It is not intimidating. It is AWESOME. It is so fun and gets that important strength training out of the way without me having to think about it too much.

I go three times a week (just added this in - this is my third week doing it. I also do TurboFire at home - love it - swim and do some other classes like Zumba, pilates, hip hop dance, spin when I can).

I wish we had these other Les Mills classes at my Y. They sound fun. We only have Pump.
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    Pump is great, but you need to do it at least twice a week to get decent results, no more than every other day though, I go for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.

You start of mega light! Like literally 1kg on arms and shoulders, chest and back and 2 1/2 on squats. You work at learning the correct form, the can build up after that!

Its not hard like attack, although you might be very sore for a couple of days after your first one! Give it a go, I am large too, currently 208 and it is really changing my body shape!

Wow, it still sounds pretty hardcore...I might stick with cardio for a while longer before I try some strength building!
  • icemaiden013
    Options
    I do BodyPump and I LOVE it. So much better than lifting weights on my own or using machines!

I am 5'6" and I currently weigh 196 (down 29 lbs since April!!!) and I burn 600-700 cals in a 1 hr pump class. I am using moderate weights. It is not intimidating. It is AWESOME. It is so fun and gets that important strength training out of the way without me having to think about it too much.

I go three times a week (just added this in - this is my third week doing it. I also do TurboFire at home - love it - swim and do some other classes like Zumba, pilates, hip hop dance, spin when I can).

I wish we had these other Les Mills classes at my Y. They sound fun. We only have Pump.

Our local Y only has Combat and Step, I drive 30-45 minutes to another one so I can do Attack! 29lbs since April? that's awesome!!!

hip hop dance sounds fun!!!