Save my breasts!

Options
2»

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I coat them with olive oil -- not too thick. A spray can do the trick. Then, a little seasoning goes on top. I have slow cooked them in a cast iron frying pan made with ridges, so that any fat would drain off the meat. But, you can also bake them in a covered pan: I have roasted carrots alongside the breasts, also drizzled with olive oil. That has kept the breasts moist. I can't remember exactly, but I may have put the breasts in a little water when baking them without the carrots.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My lovely wife has a fear of under-cooked food so she cooks and cooks and cooks to make sure it's not going to kill her. Make sure you're not overcooking your chicken. When chicken is tough it's because it's over-cooked. Poultry should be cooked to an internal temp. of 165 degrees F. If your breasts are thin they will probably cook faster than you think. Use a thermometer until you get used to it.
    You can grill them, cook them in a skillet with a little EVOO, broil them or any other way you like.

Hope that helps.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Toss them into the crock pot, frozen. Nothing else in there. After about 6 hours on low, add about 1/2 cup Italian dressing and use 2 forks to shred it up. If it looks a little dry still, squirt in a little more dressing. Tastes awesome on sandwich thins! Super-delish, and great for when you have company!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Keep the lid on when cooking on a medium. Works for me!
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you might have freezer burn... If it is freezer burn, there is not much you can do, but in the future try and ensure they are well sealed with no air (I love my vacume sealer).
  • chassidynl
    Options
    I use frozen chicken breasts all the time to cook with. I always forget to let them thaw, so I just rinse them off with luke warm water (until the outer layer is getting tender to the touch). Make an aluminum foil pouch, throw in the breasts with some seasoning and olive oil, close the pouch up along the sides, and poke a few holes in the top...bake @ 350 for about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the breasts. They always turn out juicy! I also like to bake red potatoes like this for about 45 minutes with olive oil and garlic....one of my FAVORITE dinner combos!!!

*it is a good idea to keep the pouch on a cookie sheet, especially if you use butter in the pouch, in case it leaks a little bit. I hope it works for you! =)
  • coachoster
    Options
    I'm sorry your breasts are dry, tough, and rubbery. I'd try rubbing a little oil on them.

Seriously, I rub oil on the frozen ones and then put them in the pan frozen with a good amount of water and the seasoning. Leave the lid on! Has to be a medium flame/heat. Then take the lid off once they are cooked (depending on the size) to let the water cook off. But don't cook them too long. If the water is still in there when the chicken is cooked, then just dump it out and let the chicken brown a little. I usually add a little more oil at this point.

I find this works best with chicken tenders. They cook quickly and seem to be like little sponges. They just soak up the seasoned water as they defrost. They usually come out more tender and juicy than if I had started with room temperature ones.

Good luck with your breasts!!
  • Shannon1023
    Shannon1023 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love to throw my chx in the crock pot! By the end of the day, the chx is shredded, moist and delish!!

Salsa chx:
    Chx breast (can still be frozen when u put them in!!)
    Salsa
    Cream of chx soup
    Cook all day and serve over rice or as a taco or whatever you are in the mood for! :)

Garlic chx:
    Chx breast (can still be frozen when u put them in!!)
    Cream of chx soup
    Chx broth or a little water
    Garlic and other seasonings to taste
    Cook all day!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I hardly EVER thaw frozen meat ahead of time w/ my crockpot around-
    I just have to remember to put it in early enough to cook all the way through.- otherwise I'll be finishing it up in the oven or stir fry

Frozen chicken breasts are the same way. I toss 2 whole breasts ( or 4 halves) in on LOW, and often throw some Mrs. Dash seasonings or
    Fat free Italian dressing on top
    and let 'em cook 8 hrs.
    When I get home, I will drain off some of the water at the bottom and turn up to HI for another hour or so.

I have NEVER EVER had a dry piece of meat.
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can get these in the US, but in the UK you can buy these cooking bags where you add your seasonings, meat and veggies into the bag, shake, tie off, pierce and then bake in the oven.

There are also Maggi seasoning sachets that come with a bag too- these are excellent and quick. (Called maggi so juicy)

I use frozen chicken breasts (thawed first) and have the BEST results with these cooking bags- by far the juciest chicken I have ever had.!!!!

Saves on washing dishes too :o)

This is exactly what i was going to write :)
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it helps if you beat your meat first. It makes it much more tender & juicy.

Place each thawed breast in a heavy-duty plastic freezer bag and beat it with a meat tenderizing hammer, until it's about a half-inch thick. Put each breast in a bowl with a little flour, salt, pepper, and whatever other herbs you might like & coat them thorougly. Put them on a hot, oiled skilled and grill 'til golden brown. Add a cup of wine and let it simmer 'til the wine reduces to a nice sauce. Serve with hot rice or pasta.

Or just google "Chicken Marsala" 'cause I might've missed something, pulling this off the top of my head like this....
  • MsKittyWine
    Options
    I thought maybe you were talking about your breast size shrinking when you lose weight, because that happens to me and I hate it. :laugh:
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I cook my meat on my Foreman...it works great and the meat cooks perfect! I also marinade the meats all day in the fridge while I am at work. The crockpot is a wonderful option too. Allrecipes.com has quite a few crock pot (slow cooker) recipes...hope that helps!