5000 calories a week on wine!

This is shocking as I write this. I have previously posted that I’m going to drink less etc but my daily habit of a bottle of wine and more at the weekend even shocks myself to the amount of calories that’s in it. I exercise daily, I eat relatively healthy, though not all the time. I have 14lbs to lose and I work my calories around my wine which is sad. It’s impossible as I’m always hungry as I put wine first rather than food and I need to more than anything drink less it’s not healthy and I’ll never achieve the body I want or mind set continuing like this. It’s not right and I know it. 🥺

Replies

• Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Your not alone! Although I don’t drink wine
    During lockdown due to the anxiety and stress of it all, I have put on weight due to drinking ciders.330 calories per bottle!! And this is why I’m here

You can however have beer or wine in your calorie deficit just not a whole 2-3 bottles hehehe xx
  • Mandy72CM
    Mandy72CM Posts: 59 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    OP, that is an honest and insightful post. I really appreciate where you are coming from, as it is so, so easy for me to drink more than I intended also. You are right, it is a lot of calories. A lot of it is just habitual; I agree with HeidiCooks that AF substitutes can be satisfying and really helpful for slightly shifting those habits. Another part of it is alcohol is just addictive -- not saying you are addicted, just that the substance acts on human brains in a way that tends to make us want more. You can't change that part so you just have to be aware of it. It's why it is easier for some people to cut out entirely than to moderate. You'll have to experiment to see what works for you. You will definitely feel better when you're eating more and drinking less!

Check out "This Naked Mind" and "The Alcohol Experiment" for different ways of thinking about alcohol.

Funny enough I have just ordered both these books today after reading a post on LMOD .
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Mandy72CM wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    OP, that is an honest and insightful post. I really appreciate where you are coming from, as it is so, so easy for me to drink more than I intended also. You are right, it is a lot of calories. A lot of it is just habitual; I agree with HeidiCooks that AF substitutes can be satisfying and really helpful for slightly shifting those habits. Another part of it is alcohol is just addictive -- not saying you are addicted, just that the substance acts on human brains in a way that tends to make us want more. You can't change that part so you just have to be aware of it. It's why it is easier for some people to cut out entirely than to moderate. You'll have to experiment to see what works for you. You will definitely feel better when you're eating more and drinking less!

Check out "This Naked Mind" and "The Alcohol Experiment" for different ways of thinking about alcohol.

Funny enough I have just ordered both these books today after reading a post on LMOD .

Nancy Grace (This Naked Mind) also has a good podcast you might like. They're short and insightful.
  • Mandy72CM
    Thanks for your concern however I want to point out there is a difference between needing a drink and drinking. I suspect you’re friend was drinking a lot more than what they said if they were hallucinating. I never hallucinate or have a hangover so please don’t confuse me with someone that may have an alcohol problem. Drinking is part of my culture and it’s only the calories that bother me nothing else. If I woke up wanting to drink that’s a different matter but for me it’s all about the calories.
  • Mandy72CM
    hipari wrote: »
    Mandy72CM wrote: »
    Thanks for your concern however I want to point out there is a difference between needing a drink and drinking. I suspect you’re friend was drinking a lot more than what they said if they were hallucinating. I never hallucinate or have a hangover so please don’t confuse me with someone that may have an alcohol problem. Drinking is part of my culture and it’s only the calories that bother me nothing else. If I woke up wanting to drink that’s a different matter but for me it’s all about the calories.

Yes, there’s a difference between feeling like needing a drink and drinking. It’s still the same amount of alcohol. My friend never actually said how much he was drinking, that amount is what I’ve come to understand it was. He wasn’t hallucinating either, until one day he was. That was the day he needed an ambulance and was sent to rehab. He also said the exact things you are saying now about never having a hangover, not having a problem and drinking being part of his culture and not a problem. I obviously don’t know you personally and I’m not your healthcare professional so I can’t diagnose problems, I’m just stating that the amount of alcohol you drink is very alarming and in general tends to cause health problems.

I get it, it’s hard to hear it and face the facts, especially if you don’t feel like it’s a problem. You know the numbers: 5000 calories per week, tripling over high risk limits, and 7+ bottles per week probably cost money too. Nobody but you can make this decision and if you don’t want to, it’s your life and your right to enjoy it as you see fit. I’m still going to suggest taking a break (like a week or two) from the wine and see how it makes you feel (and what it does to your weight loss goals and eating). I wish you all the best and hope you reach your goals, whether they include continuing with the wine or not.

Can I tell you that the experts say that a bottle of wine a day is not an issue?Does that surprise you? I’m sorry about your friend but you seem to be comparing me with him/her. As I said it’s all about calories so please don’t preach. I realise in myself that I want to lose 14lbs and it’s the wine stopping me. I’m going to cut down as I put alot of effort into training. Thanks again for your concern.
  • Mandy72CM
    I agree with a lot of what's been written above by @hipari, @Shortgirlrunning and others. And it sounds like you're starting to address the role alcohol has in your life and think about cutting down. It'd be great if you can manage this using some of the many sources of non-professional support/inspiration out there, but if not, I'd strongly encourage you to have a chat with your doctor. I doubt you want more scare stories, but the calories are a relatively very minor part of the long term burden you're putting on your body with that level of intake. Sending you loads of virtual hugs and good wishes.
    Oh for goodness sake it’s it’s exactly this and other negative options that makes me wish I never posted this to begin with. I find it very insulting you are asking me to seek help and or speak to a doctor. It’s patronising ! All you and others have done is want me to leave MFP with your your tight ars*d point of views. It is about calories. It’s exactly this why I wish I never mentioned it.
  • Mandy72CM
    Can I also add that god forbid anyone asking about losing weight. Would you tell them to see a doctor if they were eating too much? Would you ask them to seek help if they were many stones/pounds overweight? Would you tell them they have an addictive person personality ? No you wouldn’t! But because Iv mentioned wine it gives you the right? I wish I said I ate 5000 calories of doughnuts as I would hav probably had more support!