Logging avocado

Options
Jacq_qui
Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
How does everyone do this, there seems to be different options!
I've started weighing it in grams, but numbers seem quite low. (Eg I had 30g of avocado, but this only gave me 48 cals. Is this because the weight of an avocado assumes the stone? I don't use cups only food scales.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Just weigh the portion you eat, not the stone or the skin.

30g of avo at 48 calories is correct.

I use the entry that says, "Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties" - it's the admin-entered one.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

I use the entry that says, "Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties" - it's the admin-entered one.

Is it? i just realized that I've been overlogging avocados at 80 calories per 40 grams, thus about 200 per 100 grams. I got the number from the website of the supermarket I buy them from. Hmm..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Is it? i just realized that I've been overlogging avocados at 80 calories per 40 grams, thus about 200 per 100 grams. I got the number from the website of the supermarket I buy them from. Hmm..

yeah, you can tell it's the admin-entered one because in the dropdown box for portions you get a long list of portion options. It has "1 cup, cubes, 240 calories" in the description in the list when you are looking at the results list when searching avocado and/or avocados and it's also green-checked.

Bad news about that one is that for some reason it doesn't save to the Recents list. They "broke" it in one of the updates, probably when the garlic became 9,000 calories. :lol:

There are other ones that have similar syntax, like "All Commercial Varieties - Avocado - Raw" which are also right and will save to Recents - but they aren't the admin entered ones so you won't get all the portion choices and all the micros.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    It's amazing. I've been here since I think 2014, and still get wrong entries every now and then *sigh* I could have had a lot more avocado (I had some tonight coincidentally).
  • Jacq_qui
    Options
    Thanks that's reassuring! i used to log half an avocado which comes out much higher!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Thanks that's reassuring! i used to log half an avocado which comes out much higher!

Now I"m wondering a little about your scale. I don't think I've ever had an avocado so small that half of one would be 30g.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In the USA I type all my natural foods with USDA after it. For example "raspberries USDA", Chicken breast USDA, Banana USDA. It will give you grams as a measurement and that's how I measure natural foods.
    ----your friendly dietitian
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    In the USA I type all my natural foods with USDA after it. For example "raspberries USDA", Chicken breast USDA, Banana USDA. It will give you grams as a measurement and that's how I measure natural foods.
    ----your friendly dietitian

Just so you know...this database is built by users/members.

The entries that say, "USDA" are entered by users. Yes, some of them are correct. Just be sure you vet them.

The entries that were imported by the developers do not have "USDA" in their titles.

<<~~~your friendly longterm member

Yupper.

The "real" USDA ones (loaded, I gather, at MFP start-up) are recognizable by the titles only a bureaucrat could love ("Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, year round average", "Peas, split, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt", etc.) and the fact that the drop-down has many diverse entries for serving size, including both volume and weight measures, plus sometimes slice, counts, dimensions. Usually, one or more of those serving sizes is broken - while give an absurdly huge calorie number, easy to recognize as wrong . . . but other serving sizes are unbroken, and among the most reliable in the database.

Things with "USDA" in the title were user-entered, and can be wrong, but experientially I'd give them slightly higher odds of being correct than just random user entries, since there's an implication that the user who entered it either looked it up at USDA, or wants to look like the cool kind of person who does that. :lol:
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Now I"m wondering a little about your scale. I don't think I've ever had an avocado so small that half of one would be 30g.

You're right. I just had a little black one about the size of a baseball and half of it was 63g.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I use "avocado, raw, California variety," since I know what I buy are the CA kinds, which have more cals. (The "all commercial varieties" one says at USDA that it's based on 86% CA and 14% FL varieties.)

It's not a huge difference, though -- my entry is 167 cal for 100 g vs. 160 cal for 100 g.

IME, half of one is typically at least 60 g and often more like 70 g, too, so for me usually 100+ cals, but worth it.
  • Jacq_qui
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

they were little avocados, but my scales are a bit **** at the moment. They're fairly new but not as reliable as my previous ones. Replacing them on payday (this week)