Is it really as simple as keep counting and weighing?

2»

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,953 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I've kept off 80 pounds easily for over 7 years.

For me, planning ahead, writing in my food/exercise journal, being mindful of how many calories I am consuming everyday and staying consistent with this has been the keys to my success.

Thank you @rainbow198 & congratulations!

Over the past few months, I have actively been creating & trying ways to answer this question: “How might I make maintenance easy (so I have time for living my life!)?”

Almost everyone talks about how difficult it is & Harvard’s message of unmovable art point & other medical groups saying it was bad to yo-yo (ie regain) Often kept me from doing something about my weight .

Nowadays, with all of these tools & folks like you inspiring us, I KNOW many more people are being successful.

Choose the EASY!!💝
  • PersistenceMimi
    PersistenceMimi Posts: 1,164 Member
    Food for Thought
    If it is really as simple to stay on maintenance as keep counting and weighing, journaling, planning, eating healthy, exercising, etc...........
    Why approximately 90% of those who've reached their goal weight, usually gain it all back and more in the first 2-3 years.

*Of course, those who posted here, are in the 10% of being successful maintaining their goal weight for life.
    Congratulations to you.

I don't know the answer, but it is probably a complicated matter.
    I've lost 50 pounds in 2004, and next week (on Thursday, July 2nd) I will celebrate 16 years of maintaining my goal weight.
    Please keep doing what works for you the best.
    Food for Thought
    Have a healthy and safe day
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    sarikyafa7 wrote: »
    Food for Thought
    If it is really as simple to stay on maintenance as keep counting and weighing, journaling, planning, eating healthy, exercising, etc...........
    Why approximately 90% of those who've reached their goal weight, usually gain it all back and more in the first 2-3 years.

*Of course, those who posted here, are in the 10% of being successful maintaining their goal weight for life.
    Congratulations to you.

I don't know the answer, but it is probably a complicated matter.
    I've lost 50 pounds in 2004, and next week (on Thursday, July 2nd) I will celebrate 16 years of maintaining my goal weight.
    Please keep doing what works for you the best.
    Food for Thought
    Have a healthy and safe day

Well, I have lost weight and put it on again in the past, but that was by starving myself (not calorie counting) and then going back to "normal".

I have never counted properly before, and certainly never counted in maintenence.

I guess I just have to hope I'm one of the people it continues to work for, since I have no idea what else to do if I'm not. Its working so far, and I feel good, so I guess best to enjoy it, however long it lasts. If my weight loss is just a glorious holiday from reality, well, holidays are meant to be enjoyed, aren't they?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    There are probably many reasons. For me, I regained some weight for a combination of a) being undermedicated for my thyroid and feeling not fell and being very hungry and b) being depressed for another reason unrelated, which resulted in snacking too much.
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Tbh, its not rocket science to understand the process behind it. It is pretty much doable, losing weight was the hardest part for my clients,cause thats when they had to reduce their intake significantly. But they do like the maintenance phase theyre in now. The idea is, to make sure that the number of calories burnt, needs to be more than the calories consumed. But the most important thing you need to keep in your mind is to have a healthy mindset, and not a strict one. You will go off balance here and there, adjust, analyse and get back on track, and you will find that it is as easy as you think it is.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    @speyerj
    Pick the spot where you gain fat first - and measure too.

The scale isn't the best indicator of fat gain, weight in general which could be water, sure, but not always fat weight.
    Have another measurement to track. Maybe a couple, but waist for many is it.

That way as you gain water weight (same water weight you lost when first starting diet) - you'll know nothing to fear.

That way you aren't attempting intervention and course corrections when it's only water weight for many valid and healthy reasons.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    @Heybales - thanks! I've definitely had my share of water retention battles - gaining or losing up to 4 pounds a day at times. I have a body composition scale, which helps me filter out the noise of water retention, but my waist measurement is also a good lagging indicator as well. The only issue with tape measurements is that it's pretty easy to fool yourself by tugging at it harder to get it down that 1/4 inch you are looking for.