Feel depressed if I don’t eat late at night

I’m the worst for snacking late at night- always sugary food. Right now I’ve been eating breakfast, dinner (both healthy), then a sugary snack after dinner. Is this bad?

I notice I lose weight much quicker if I just stick to the two meals and don’t eat after dinner but I feel so depressed when I don’t. I’ve tried everything, like spreading out my meals, eating dinner a bit later but nothing works.

I could probably go all day on just a banana or something and be totally fine until late evening that’s when I want everything.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Pick one or two foods that aren't high calorie for an evening snack and fit it into your calorie schedule. We usually eat a piece of cheese or drink a glass of milk before bed. It satisfies the craving. A banana or apple work as well.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Are you reaching for the snack because you aren't eating enough calories during the day?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    aa2300 wrote: »
    I’m the worst for snacking late at night- always sugary food. Right now I’ve been eating breakfast, dinner (both healthy), then a sugary snack after dinner. Is this bad?

I notice I lose weight much quicker if I just stick to the two meals and don’t eat after dinner but I feel so depressed when I don’t. I’ve tried everything, like spreading out my meals, eating dinner a bit later but nothing works.

I could probably go all day on just a banana or something and be totally fine until late evening that’s when I want everything.

How many calories are you getting in a day? With and without the snack?
  • JCampbell2395
    JCampbell2395 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried finding another habit to replace the snacking with a more productive activity. Maybe try taking a quick walk around the block, reading, praying (if you are spiritual), meditating, journaling. Something to keep your mind and body occupied in the evening. These activities are all good for mental health.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    If you still have calories left, eat your late night snack. Timing of food has nothing to do with weightloss.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I identify, OP, except my hungry time is late afternoon. I eat most of my calories then. Use the meal timing that is most satisfying and enjoyable to you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    aa2300 wrote: »

As long as you are eating the right amount of calories, you can eat them whenever fits your hunger cues, activity, habits, and mood.

I have to eat about an hour before I go to bed or I can't fall asleep. So I just save cals for it. The only issue with eating a sugary snack towards the end of the day would be if you get an energy rush that makes it difficult to sleep. But if you are sleeping well and eating enough calories to be healthy but not too much to reach your weight goals, it's fine.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Have you tried intermittent fasting? It in conjunction to counting calories may be the answer to your issue. Just eat all your calories in the evenings.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    As long as it fits your calories, it doesn't matter when you eat. And it sounds like eating a pre bed snack fits your lifestyle better than anything else you have tried, so just work it in.