Alternative to Rows

Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 because its simple, straightforward and enjoyable enough, except...

I really, really hate rows. Like. HATE. They're uncomfortable, I keep hurting my back because the form is hard for me, I feel self conscious and weird doing them in public... ugh. The worst.

I see absolutely zero meaning in forcing myself to do something I hate so I'm gonna stop, but I do want to keep myself relatively balanced for exercises so, to that end: what's a good alternative exercise for rows? I was thinking maybe like pullups?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    Is there a cable station in the gym? I find seated cable rows more pleasant than barbell/dumbell rows :smile:
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    If you're at a gym or have a pimped up home gym:

* cable rows
    * cable upright rows

If you're a regular Jane/John Q Public:

* DB rows
    * piston upright rows

Ideas sourced from my ratty and tattered copy of "The 15 Best Exercises: Secrets from Men's Health Magazine" (2005)

Note: if you don't have access to DBs, grab a pair of heavy things 😉
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I have issues with rows as well. They make my tendonitis flare up in my elbows and cause a weird clicking in my wrists. I have been known to sub pull-ups/chin-ups or lat pulldowns.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to hear your frustration.

First I d like to address that "form" didn't cause your injury(s) rather load did. More specifically volume and intensity without any regulation other than add until you fail. Poor governing especially at a lift that a 20kg barbell can be 70% of a e1rm to begin with for some individuals. In this situation our suspected "form" is a result of not being to practice a significant amount of reps to improve our technique.

Perhaps you can list the equipment you have access to and I can give you appropriate alternatives.

If a injury occurs from bent over rows and I'm not able to access the degree of injury, I will drop the load in a variety of ways first.

In your case, I'd probably just insert sitting cable rows with appropriate volume to you as a individual with the limited info you have given so far.
  • Terytha
    Chieflrg wrote: »

First I d like to address that "form" didn't cause your injury(s) rather load did. More specifically volume and intensity without any regulation other than add until you fail. Poor governing especially at a lift that a 20kg barbell can be 70% of a e1rm to begin with for some individuals. In this situation our suspected "form" is a result of not being to practice a significant amount of reps to improve our technique.

Perhaps you can list the equipment you have access to and I can give you appropriate alternatives.

If a injury occurs from bent over rows and I'm not able to access the degree of injury, I will drop the load in a variety of ways first.

In your case, I'd probably just insert sitting cable rows with appropriate volume to you as a individual with the limited info you have given so far.

The last load I had when I realized I wanted to quit was just the 45 lb bar. The first load was a 20 lb barbell and it felt very light, which didn't really make the exercise any less awful or hard on my back. I've never gone to failure with rows.

I have access to a gym with the usual gym things. I don't really know anything about the machines, what they are or how to use them because I have only ever really used free weights. There is a rowing machine I used once with my PT but the weight isn't adjustable so I feel like that's not what you mean? If it is, I ain't, I hate that thing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

The last load I had when I realized I wanted to quit was just the 45 lb bar. The first load was a 20 lb barbell and it felt very light, which didn't really make the exercise any less awful or hard on my back. I've never gone to failure with rows.

I have access to a gym with the usual gym things. I don't really know anything about the machines, what they are or how to use them because I have only ever really used free weights. There is a rowing machine I used once with my PT but the weight isn't adjustable so I feel like that's not what you mean? If it is, I ain't, I hate that thing.

No. Not that.

This...

en1i11jrry19.png

• Terytha
    @quiksylver296 Ah, thank you. I feel like that would still hurt my back, but I'm also willing to keep an open mind and try most things once. =P

I'm next scheduled to the gym on Wednesday so I'll give it a go.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do single arm dumbbell rows hurt your back? How about back flys? How are you doing with your deadlifts? Pullups are good, but if you can't do very many, it might be difficult to get enough volume...unless you can do them assisted.
  • Chieflrg

Load= accumulation of stress. So if you build up enough stress without adequate recovery, injury risk greatens. Too much load is why injuries outside of trama usually always occur.

Something along the lines of this puck might be useful for you. Keep in mind it could be more of a fixed machine that pivots than a cable machine. Either are fine options if that is what you will adhere to.

• Chieflrg
    edited June 2020
    @quiksylver296 Ah, thank you. I feel like that would still hurt my back, but I'm also willing to keep an open mind and try most things once. =P

Why do you feel it would hurt your back now you know evidence suggests that a properly loaded lift is safe?

If you are really concerned post a video on my form check thread.
  • DancingMoosie
    It seems strange to me to hurt your back doing rows(even cable pulls) when you can do deadlifts safely. Is it an actual injury, or just an uncomfortable feeling or maybe even just muscle soreness??? Have you had anyone watch you do rows to see if you are doing anything weird form wise? Like straining your neck or tilting to one side?
  • Terytha

Why do you feel it would hurt your back now you know evidence suggests that a properly loaded lift is safe?

Because my back always hurts. Movements that cause me to arch my back are the worst, which is what seated rows look like they'll do.

I do fine with squats because my legs and core take the burden and I can keep my back straight if I'm paying attention.

@DancingMoosie There's a machine for assisted pullups at my gym. I like it, it's fun.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Having issues with back arch makes it sound like you're not activating enough core to counterbalance. The row is an isolation exercise so the spine should be neutral while the muscles move around it during the pull.

How is your core, overall? That might be something to look into and add in some core supplements to the stronglifts as accessory exercises. That's a highly flexible program and you can plug most anything into it without altering it too much or breaking the intent of the program.
  • DancingMoosie
    And you still didn't say how you are with deadlifts...those by far are the most dangerous for me and my back.
  • Terytha
    And you still didn't say how you are with deadlifts...those by far are the most dangerous for me and my back.

Oh, fine. Before the gym closed I was squatting 90 lbs. I've shot myself down to 60 for now just to be safe but I have no problems.
  • DancingMoosie

Oh, fine. Before the gym closed I was squatting 90 lbs. I've shot myself down to 60 for now just to be safe but I have no problems.

You're talking about squats again. I'm asking about deadlifts.
  • Terytha

You're talking about squats again. I'm asking about deadlifts.

Ugh, you're right, sorry. I'm very tired today, all over the place. I'm usually not this airheaded, I swear.

Deadlifts are fine, because the movement is very simple and my legs are strong. But I also only do one set. I did 55lbs last weekend and it was OK.
  • DancingMoosie
    My guess would be that you need to strengthen your back. My back used to hurt a lot, I'd have debilitating spasms, and lifting really helped heal all of those issues. But you have to go slowly. If you enjoy the assisted pullups, keep doing them. You could always try some type of row later to see if it works better for you after developing your strength a little more.
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2020

Because my back always hurts. Movements that cause me to arch my back are the worst, which is what seated rows look like they'll do.

I do fine with squats because my legs and core take the burden and I can keep my back straight if I'm paying attention.

@DancingMoosie There's a machine for assisted pullups at my gym. I like it, it's fun.

I see. So "always hurts " in every day life or just during that movement in particular or do you mean all movements at the gym besides squats?

One problem is our back always has a arch. It's impossible not to. Which also makes it impossible to keep a back straight during a squat. So it isn't a arch by definition, maybe you mean you have extreme flexition of the lumbar spine?

The reasoning why I'm suggesting a sitting row vs and standing BB row is because their is little to none loading(stress) of the back during a sitting row. During a standing BB row there is load and might or might not "feel" more noticeable after squatting like dosed in SL program.

Which goes back(excuse the pun) to some of the inappropriate volume that might loading inappropriately for your current adapatation and/or recovery.