Alternative to Rows

2»

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    While I typically would never, ever comment on how much people lift, a 55lb dead raised my eyebrow. Mind you, you didn't mention how tall you were or your weight.

That said, @Chieflrg offered to check your form if you posted a video. Perhaps he can link directly to the thread? I tried doing a stealth search but the way my attention span is set up...

SQUIRREL!

The bonus of ensuring your lifting properly is avoiding injury but you may find you're able to lift more!

Keep up the efforts, girl: you got this!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    That said, @Chieflrg offered to check your form if you posted a video. Perhaps he can link directly to the thread? I tried doing a stealth search but the way my attention span is set up...

SQUIRREL!

The bonus of ensuring your lifting properly is avoiding injury but you may find you're able to lift more!

Keep up the efforts, girl: you got this!
    👍
    I'd be happy to.look at any lift. Just follow the instructions on first page.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses/p1
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Yeah but like, the point everyone is missing is: I hate rows. That's not gonna change, you know? Sometimes I do them right and they don't hurt but I still hate them. They're uncomfortable and make me feel self conscious and they're boring and ugh.

I don't want to fix it because I don't want to do it. Life is too short to force myself to do some hated thing when there's hundreds of fun things.

So whatever.

@MaltedTea, are you mocking me or do you think it's too heavy? If you're gonna be rude, at least be clear.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm guessing she was questioning the strength of your legs and back, as I was, because the weight is light. As I said before, just keep going and try to progress gradually. I think you need to focus on your core and back strength. This is probably why you are having issues with the rows(in addition to just not liking them). Gradually increasing your lifts and focusing on bracing your core will really help. Stick with the assisted pullups if that's what you like in place of rows.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Yeah but like, the point everyone is missing is: I hate rows. That's not gonna change, you know? Sometimes I do them right and they don't hurt but I still hate them. They're uncomfortable and make me feel self conscious and they're boring and ugh.

I don't want to fix it because I don't want to do it. Life is too short to force myself to do some hated thing when there's hundreds of fun things.

So whatever.

@MaltedTea, are you mocking me or do you think it's too heavy? If you're gonna be rude, at least be clear.

😐

I was neither mocking you nor did I think 55 lb was too heavy for a deadlift. Not sure how wires got crossed there as I cheered you on to keep up your efforts.

Based on your reiterated clarifications quoted above, you have already been suggested many other movements to swap into your Stronglifts program throughout this thread: pulldowns, inverted rows, seated rows, etc. Pistons, for example, require nothing but DBs and you can do them standing - not bending, which you've mentioned hurts your back when doing certain movements - in front of a mirror. And, @Chieflrg generously offered to look at any lift, if you were interested.

You may want to consider checking in with your GP (or a sports therapist) about your back issues.

• lucidchroma
    lucidchroma Posts: 57 Member
    You hate rows in general? Or the semi-awkward position bent over row has to be performed in? I mean if its the position you don't like, there's band row from high point which you can try, or inverted row if you are stronger. There's many progressions too. You can try the assisted pull ups too.

I have a small suggestion though. Since you are squatting 60 lbs and more and deadlifting lesser weight than your squat, may be you can implement some exercises for getting stronger in your core which should prove beneficial for your bent over rows if the awkward position is not why you don't like BOR.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I was deadlifting light on purpose because I've been out of the gym for 4 months. I didn't realize that that was gonna be shocking to people, but the gym has been closed for 4 months (some kinda global crisis, maybe you heard of it) and I am starting from light so I don't hurt myself while I get back into it.

I did say I would try other things to a couple people but go off @Chieflrg. The only one wasting your time here is you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm pretty sure that was a typo. I think he meant "your time" but missed the y.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 Ah, thank you. I feel like that would still hurt my back, but I'm also willing to keep an open mind and try most things once. =P

I'm next scheduled to the gym on Wednesday so I'll give it a go.

Why do you feel it would hurt your back now you know evidence suggests that a properly loaded lift is safe?

If you are really concerned post a video on my form check thread.

Because my back always hurts. Movements that cause me to arch my back are the worst, which is what seated rows look like they'll do.

I do fine with squats because my legs and core take the burden and I can keep my back straight if I'm paying attention.

@DancingMoosie There's a machine for assisted pullups at my gym. I like it, it's fun.

Are you exercising enough your abs? usually back pain means either doing the exercise wrong, or having a too weak core (which results in bad form)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    If you are looking for other exercises for your back that in general target the same muscles, maybe reverse flyes, with dumbells? But I would still be concerned something is wrong if you are in pain because of rows.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I really, really hate rows. Like. HATE. They're uncomfortable, I keep hurting my back because the form is hard for me, I feel self conscious and weird doing them in public... ugh. The worst.

How is your core strength? If you mean bent over rows, those can definitely feel awkward starting out. This is the main lift that made a huge difference in my core strength back when I was super weak. Start with really, really low weight. (To put this in perspective, leaning over in that exact position with 0 weight to wash my face from the shower faucet felt uncomfortable in my back before I started lifting). This is a lift that I came to love because it made such a major difference in my core and back.