I cant seem to be consistant..

Hi, fellow travelers. I know this will sound like whining, and I apologize in advance. I have been here - logging - on this site several times. "Several times" is the issue...I cannot seem to remain consistent with my logging. I know that this is partly because part of me rebels at having to write down - again and again and again etc etc - every single thing I put in my mouth. Its a drag! well, isnt it? I know it is necessary, but I have fallen off the wagon here many times. I will appreciate any and all thought folks here may have.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I don't really understand how it's a pain, because it's like 10 seconds out of my day, but I also don't think its absolutely necessary if it's a sticking point for you.

Could you try figuring out approximately how many calories you want each meal to be, and just calculating/estimating that without necessarily logging it?

You can also look into mindful eating and estimating portions with fists.

Or maybe the Weight Watchers points system would be easier for you.

Counting and logging calories is a good strategy but it's not like its the only one. There's no one size fits all solution to weight loss. Try some different things and see what works best for you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I have to admit, I've never had that psychological reaction to logging and don't struggle to do it. My daily streak is up over 2000 days now. It just became a habit, I don't even think about it anymore, like brushing my teeth or unloading the dishwasher. Hopefully someone whose struggled with this (and I'm sure you're not the only one :smile: ) will be along soon and can give you their perspective.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    They were just talking about this on the Half_Size_Me podcast. There are other options. Commit to filling your plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 complex carb, and 1/4 lean protein. Use a smallish plate and you should be within a good calorie allowance for the day.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    I wish I didn't have to log, but having fallen off the wagon so many times, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a choice. As much as I prefer not logging, that doesn't work for me. I'm hoping I stick to the habit but I obviously can't make any promises/guarantees over whether I will still be logging accurately in a year's time or even further ahead into the future. All I can tell you is that I intend to do this for the rest of my life, at least to some extent.

I had to force myself to log everything for the first two weeks until it became a habit. I guess on some level I see it as the lesser of two evils? Get diabetes, inject myself every day, or lose weight and bring my risk right down, and just have to add things on a phone app every day.

I find logging under MFP Premium easier than the free MFP because logging the times of foods makes the data more valuable to me (I have a seriously messed up schedule, so don't eat the same time any day) and if the data is more valuable to me, I'm more likely to collect it. Caveat - that is really the only premium feature I use, and some people may not think it's worth it.

Personally, I think WW overcomplicates matters and I resent the idea of paying someone to tell me to effectively eat less, when I know that already. Paying for MFP isn't such an issue for me, because it's paying for support with my own plan, rather than paying for someone else's ideas, if that makes sense.

Good luck in finding a solution that works for you. :)
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    They were just talking about this on the Half_Size_Me podcast. There are other options. Commit to filling your plate with 1/2 veggies, 1/4 complex carb, and 1/4 lean protein. Use a smallish plate and you should be within a good calorie allowance for the day.

I listen to Half Size Me! I love Heather's advice!
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    avtlove wrote: »
    I could have written this response! You're exactly right. I see it (tracking, logging) the same way as you... It's HARD to be overweight and not be living the life you want. It's HARD to look in the mirror and be disgusted. It's HARD to live life feeling ashamed that you can't get your eating under control. It's HARD to feel compelled to turn down social events all because of your fear of other's judgement, or just the general disgust you have for yourself. It's HARD to not be living the life you know you were meant to live...
    AND... It's HARD to measure and track everything you eat.

CHOOSE YOUR HARD.
    Truth is, I don't really find it hard to track. Right now I'm in the honeymoon phase and really enjoying it. But I know there will come a day when I don't want to hassle with it anymore. Hopefully I will remember to tell myself to "choose my HARD." I'd MUCH rather track than be obese.

I know people say you shouldn't put your life on hold just because you're overweight, but given we're still in lockdown, it does feel a little bit like my life is on hold anyway, and I could emerge from the lockdown looking so much thinner and healthier... A little bit of me gets a kick out of potentially getting people to do the double-take "is that really her?" reaction of shock... Every bit of motivation helps, no matter how petty it is.

There are good days and there are bad days on this journey. For me, today is a bad day, but I am reaffirming my commitment to choose my HARD. I choose to keep logging today and to stay within my allowance today, as much as I really really don't want to today, because I'd rather endure this than the alternative.

I guess the old adages of 'no pain no gain' and 'nothing worth it is easy' really hold up. As long as your plan is medically safe, there are always going to be some difficult days when all you can do is remember why you have chosen to commit to this healthier lifestyle and push through. You have to want it enough to keep pushing.
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    I feel you. I logged and lost weight and kept it off and then my reward in a way was to stop logging. Oh its been a couple of years and I'm pregnant now so I don't need to log. Surely I can now eat intuitively (whatever that means). It didn't work and it's taken a long time to get back because I had a thing about logging. It felt like I was failing to be a normal person. I just decided that it was worth the effort and at the beginning I just logged without the intention to lose weight just to get into logging. Now I'm not finding it so onorous to log to lose weight. I don't think there was a specific thing that happened. I just decided to.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I discovered the Lifesum app and did that consistently for about 170 days before relapsing. I seem to go through periods where I am very accurate and then I just stop and I'm awful at it. Yes it is a major pain, but it's generally worth it. I wouldn't use it if I shared food with other people though. I'd use other methods if I did that. Working out percentages and numerous ingredients etc, ain't worth it.
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    Ok Ladies, here is what it is, a large part. I am a small person. For me to lose weight means 1200 calories. This is...not a lot. I think I get frustrated that it is difficult to stick to 1200 calories. Also, until people advised me to not pay attention to the macronutrients, I found I could not eat 1200 calories without going over SOMETHING. Thats my story.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    It is hard to be loggoing and not be able to stay ”in the green”. I get that. I really do. I refused to “write it down” for years even when I saw it working for a good friend. I finally committed to it about 8 weeks ago and have found it to be helpful.

Once you find the foods that you can eat without going over your allotment, you’ll have an easier time with the logging. When you first start it is more work because you have to find the foods, the amounts, etc. You can create meals under “MyMeals” and then it is just one click and it all gets logged. I find going out to eat is difficult because it is hard to estimate portions and I can’t control what’s in it.

It then becomes clear why it was hard to lose weight or maintain. That may be why you don’t want to log... because the foods or amounts you want to eat don’t woe, in a 1200 calorie food plan. One thing I’ve read over and over again on is that if your calorie allotment isn’t enough food for you,you may need to slow your weight loss goal. So instead of 2 lbs per week, switch it to .5 lb per week. (I don’t know what your goal is.) The point is,that this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix.

Hang in. Commit to logging for a week. Don’t get discouraged. ❤️
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Oops. Thought I got out all of my typos. ^^. What I wrote should still make sense. 😋
  • MyrnaSolganick
    MyrnaSolganick Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2020
    Suzji27...on a 1200 calorie diet, I am supposed to lose a damn half pound a week. That is almost unacceptable. You understand what I mean? I would be thrilled to lose a pound a week. But no. At 1200 calories, its a half pound a week. So by August 1st, the program says I will lose 2 lbs. Wouldnt you get discouraged? (Looking for support here, folks...as you can see, its really hard and really slow now.)
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Do you have the ability to increase your activity? Yes having a low total daily energy expenditure is annoying (with effort I am about 1650-1750).

If not, think of it this way: Your options include eating 1200 and losing slowly or eating 1450 and maintaining or eating more and gaining. Which outcome do you want? August 1 is going to come and go, then September 1 and so on. Choose the path you want to take because the time is going to pass and before you know it, the holidays will be here and then they'll be history. Slow loss is annoying, but it will put you in a better place than you're in now.

Only pay attention to the macros if eating a certain way benefits you. Some people feel fuller on low carb/high protein for example. If you don't have a preference, just try to incorporate some of each in your day but don't worry about being precise to the MFP recommendations.
    Suzji27...on a 1200 calorie diet, I am supposed to lose a damn half pound a week. That is almost unacceptable. You understand what I mean? I would be thrilled to lose a pound a week. But no. At 1200 calories, its a half pound a week. So by August 1st, the program says I will lose 2 lbs. Wouldnt you get discouraged? (Looking for support here, folks...as you can see, its really hard and really slow now.)

• MantygirlWI
    MantygirlWI Posts: 1 Member

I hear you. I am 67 years old, and have been active my whole life. I used to be 5'5", but I am now 5'3". So that means I am now 10 pounds overweight just because of height shrinkage. Then this coronavirus...ugh...5 more pounds. If I don't work out, my max is 1200 calories to lose weight. I find it impossible. So I have adopted a 1500 calorie/day goal, with 1800 calories on my active days. It worked in the past, so I will be back at it.

Thank you avtlove: I just wrote "Choose your hard" on a post it note and stuck it on my mirror.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Are you sedentary? Is it physically possible for you to walk a little more or work in some other light activity to get your TDEE up?

At 5'4 and in my 40s, I found I had to eat @ 1350 to lose half a lb and decided that was not gonna cut it. So I started working in a 15 min walk in the morning, I'd March in place and do jumping jacks in front of the TV, and I did everything I could think of to get extra steps into my day. Over time I managed to add another 100-150 cals to my day. Then I started focusing on adding some muscle, which also helped.

Maybe someone can link you to the Increase your NEAT thread, otherwise I'll do it the next time I'm on my computer. Sorry if this isn't realistic for you, just throwing ideas out there.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

A good deal of people who come through here are unhappy with their rate of loss. They want to go faster and it often applies to people who are already going much faster than they should.

You have two options. One is to get so upset you quit and the other is to accept it and progress. Your destination requires that you travel forward. If you keep getting so mad at the slow moving traffic that you stop or, worse, start heading in other direction what does it accomplish? Time will continue to pass whether you are losing weight or not.

You do not have to log to lose weight but it is likely to be even slower if you don't because your margin of error is very tiny to be eyeballing portions.

Logging is unnatural at the beginning. There is a learning curve. It gets easier and less time consuming the more you do it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Maybe this- I’m not a fan of computer logging although I’ve done it. My initial logging was just a crude list identifying what I ate and a number. Sometimes I’d bother with recording the portion size. Sometimes not. The computer reminds me of being at work.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,133 Member
    I cycle with that negative attitude about logging,---but I am in maintenance (just over 6 months, this time), and without logging, I slowly put it back on.... This time, in order to prevent regain, I usually log! Do take a day or two off, here and there. Try to make it kind of a game. Our bodies log it, whether we do or not! Not too concerned that the database values may be "off"--- cycles of yo-yo-ing have made me recognize that I have to hold myself accountable in this way. I also make myself hop on the scale twice a week, so I can see that what I'm doing is still working.