Gained a pound in a month... while eating below TDEE?

Options
SO as the title said yes I gained a pound and no, I'm not happy about it. I am now 122lb when I was 121 a month ago today (June 2, 2020). But this really doesn't make sense since I've been eating 1200-1410 calories per day. I don't want this pound, I'm trying to lose weight!

I'm a 5'5.5, 18-year-old Asian.

I posted a thread before and people were like "yOu'Re sKinNy aNd dOnT nEeD tO lOsE wEiGhT."
This tiktok adequately describes how I feel. especially when she says you're never allowed to complain because you're already "skinny." People suggested recomposition and to read this so you want a nice stomach thread and I've been doing my squats, lunges, and ab exercises (as I said in the original thread, I literally CANNOT do a push-up. I can barely do one with *kitten* form on my knees, but I can somehow hold a high plank.)

I ended up getting a job at a restaurant so I upped my calorie intake to 1,410 (losing .5lb/week per the MFP formula). When calculated at sedentary, the lowest number any calorie calculator ran was 1,596 to maintain weight. I have been accurately measuring my food and drinking 96 oz of water per day. So why did this pound come back? Previously I had been stalled at 121 until at least June 17 when I posted my original thread. I don't want this weight. I want to be 115 (which is a healthy weight as according to the CDC).

If anything, I should be LOSING weight but I'm not...

Replies

• stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also, does this tiktok have any truth? If I can get a smaller waist by lying on the ground for 5mins/day... I'm all in.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    (cut)
    You're very close to your goal so it's going to require patience and consistency. There are probably going to be times when the scale goes up and you can't get thrown by that.

How much going up is normal?

and

Same girl, Im also 18,5'5, Asian (Pakistan) and my goal is 120, and right now I'm at 138lb. It honestly kills me when the weight goes up even by half a pound. A veryyyyy small side of me knows it is probably because of too much salt the day before or water retention, but it still KILLS me, no joke. I know i have a very toxic mindset but the mind does what it does. How did you achieve your goal?

Welcome to the club haha. Do you happen to know how much water our bodies retain?
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    (cut)
    You're very close to your goal so it's going to require patience and consistency. There are probably going to be times when the scale goes up and you can't get thrown by that.

How much going up is normal?

and

Same girl, Im also 18,5'5, Asian (Pakistan) and my goal is 120, and right now I'm at 138lb. It honestly kills me when the weight goes up even by half a pound. A veryyyyy small side of me knows it is probably because of too much salt the day before or water retention, but it still KILLS me, no joke. I know i have a very toxic mindset but the mind does what it does. How did you achieve your goal?

Welcome to the club haha. Do you happen to know how much water our bodies retain?

I have no idea, but from my personal experience, around one or even two pounds
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    Is it possible that some of this weight is loose skin from weight loss?

In January I was somewhere like 136, so I lost about 14 pounds.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    ^^ and if so, how do I reduce that (non-surgically)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Next month you will have lost a pound. Yay!
  • Momsaysimaoops
    Momsaysimaoops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight to me. I can fluctuate 1-4 lbs a week, especially when its hot out, I tend to retain. Yo have a better idea of how your body fluctuates, you shuld try weighing in every day for 2 weeks and writing it down. Youll see that you can very 1-2 lbs from before bed to the morning even.
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Every time someone in these forums asks a question like this, someone (or many someones) always comes in to say "Your're eating more than you think." I'm going to be one of those people, but don't just tune me out.

The truth is, you can have the most accurate scale on planet Earth, and you could use that scale to weigh every atom of food that you eat ... and STILL be eating more calories than you think. How is that possible? Let me answer that question with a question.

How many calories are in an 85g pork chop?

When I enter that into myfitnesspal, I get a range of possibilities from 110 calories up to 262 with lots of numbers in between. Which is correct? Well, you could refine your search by adding modifiers, but even then you'll often end up with a range of possibilities. When that happens, you'll have to guess which one to use.

So, how do you know if you guessed right? Simple. The scale will tell you.

What's the scale telling you?
  • ebrookes73
    ebrookes73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You don't need to guess, just look at different sources of information outside of MFP.