Gained a pound in a month... while eating below TDEE?

Options

Replies

• stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hmm, yeah. It might be stress since I'm preparing to go away to college soon.

I don't have a weight trending app because I hate stepping on the scale, I'm always afraid I'm going to gain another pound. I assume it was water since yesterday I was back to 121. But on the downside, I haven't lost any weight in a month.

I have also ruled out that it's muscle. My body looks the same from the side (~very~ scientific, I know) but also, my waist hasn't shrunk. However, I've been doing ab exercises- at least 30 crunches, a 1-minute plank, and 20 leg lifts each day. I've expanded into doing that AND MadFit's senorita ab work out (so basically a 3 min ab workout). My thighs are still jiggly as hell and my arms look like bat wings when I put them straight out. I've also been doing 5 knee push-ups because that's all I can do (and get up from).
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    jamloche wrote: »
    Every time someone in these forums asks a question like this, someone (or many someones) always comes in to say "Your're eating more than you think." I'm going to be one of those people, but don't just tune me out.

The truth is, you can have the most accurate scale on planet Earth, and you could use that scale to weigh every atom of food that you eat ... and STILL be eating more calories than you think. How is that possible? Let me answer that question with a question.

How many calories are in an 85g pork chop?

When I enter that into myfitnesspal, I get a range of possibilities from 110 calories up to 262 with lots of numbers in between. Which is correct? Well, you could refine your search by adding modifiers, but even then you'll often end up with a range of possibilities. When that happens, you'll have to guess which one to use.

So, how do you know if you guessed right? Simple. The scale will tell you.

What's the scale telling you?

I'm entering/correcting literally everything I eat. Unless large companies are literally breaking the law, then everything is correct.

But again, I'm still not losing weight. It's been a month (and yes I'll bring this up with my doctor at the next appointment)
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting a professional personal trainer with a degree in nutrition to help you out?
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    Have you considered getting a professional personal trainer with a degree in nutrition to help you out?

Kinda broke right now (or well, planning to be broke in August because of college), but I have a friend who's thinking of getting a PT license. She's given me some ab exercises to do, which I do.

I also ran my measurements today and I'm 27-28% body fat. Great... But strength training hasn't been working.

• stargirlhorse
    Options
    The Navy calculators are now giving me around 20%- three different calculators, two giving me 20 and one giving me 20.3.
  • stargirlhorse
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Hmm, yeah. It might be stress since I'm preparing to go away to college soon.

I don't have a weight trending app because I hate stepping on the scale, I'm always afraid I'm going to gain another pound. I assume it was water since yesterday I was back to 121. But on the downside, I haven't lost any weight in a month.

I have also ruled out that it's muscle. My body looks the same from the side (~very~ scientific, I know) but also, my waist hasn't shrunk. However, I've been doing ab exercises- at least 30 crunches, a 1-minute plank, and 20 leg lifts each day. I've expanded into doing that AND MadFit's senorita ab work out (so basically a 3 min ab workout). My thighs are still jiggly as hell and my arms look like bat wings when I put them straight out. I've also been doing 5 knee push-ups because that's all I can do (and get up from).

I know it may sound a bit ironic, but the weight-trending app can actually make you feel better about stepping on the scale because it shows you how normal those fluctuations are. As others have mentioned, the one-pound-freakout is a bit concerning.

While you can’t spot reduce, ab exercises can help build muscle over time, which losing fat can help reveal. But your body may not lose fat around your mid-section initially. And I don’t think that’s enough intense exercise to build muscle or burn fat just yet. And any exercise is better than none. Keep at it, and you’ll build on your current strength and stamina.

But I’ve been doing these ab exercises since at least March, I want to say even since February (and I think I remember doing them late February on vacation, but only 25 crunches and 15 leg lifts). I haven’t seen any results. My stomach is just as giant as it was the day before or even the month before. I know because I’m Asian, I tend to get belly fat. It sucks but it’s just my stupid genetics.

BUT I have never seen an Asian with as much belly fat as I do. I’ve never seen an Asian with a protruding stomach like mine. I look like a pregnant teenager and that is NOT a look I want for college because everyone will think I’m a hoe. I REFUSE to attend college looking like this and will invest in waist trainers if I have to. Why won’t this belly fat go away? There’s no logical reason why it should still be here! Models like Ming Xi are also Asian and prove that nearly-flat stomachs are possible (yes I’m aware that females have uteruses. I took health). But why won’t mine look like hers? Or literally any of the ladies when you google “asian woman body from side” ?? And why do I have two chins?!