Sizzling in September! Week 1 (OPEN GROUP)

Options

Replies

• cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To mizzladylisa - I love baked fish, but it can come out really try. Try to wrap in up in foil first, keeps all the moisture inside and makes it come out soooo juicy. I do it with all kinds of fish. I am not sure what kind of new fruit of veggie that I am going to try today, I will post after I get back from the market today. Hopefully they have some new that I can try.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Phew! I have been hard at work and have formulated a list of all the challenges for the month - I would appreciate any feedback and further suggestions!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SsEmOzTd-JhN4iQ5bdfLpPsxpND6dLqOUDhX5OiNnRk/edit?hl=en_US

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend :happy:

Wow, you have been busy! Wonderful to have everything up front, so we can print it out! I have been such a slacker on the daily challenges. My allergist have been so bad, I can hardly breathe. Doing anything where my HR gets up, and I am a snotty coughing mess. TMI I know. lol
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    O.K. I tried the Yoga... Not for me. I am not a fan. My NSV for the week, is exercise related. Yesterday we went on a 7 mile Canoe/kayak trip It took us 4 hours and 50 minutes, or rowing and keeping balance. It was such a workout! I would have never gone before, and it was a great day!
  • josaleigh
    Options
    I haven't tried the yoga yet, the walking lunges really kicked my *kitten*! I'm so sore today, but it feels fantastic. We cleaned the garage this morning for roughly 5 hours and I'm pooped.

My NSV this week: I posted a blog about who I am and what got me here and the response was amazing. I guess hearing people's reaction to my story helped boost my motivation! It's pushed me to increase my workouts and continue logging even on the worst days. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/josaleigh
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Haha Jenn, yeah... Yoga is not for everyone! But it super good for your core strength and flexibility depending on intensity so I thought I should include it. You could try doing a really good stretching routine and some balancing exercises instead? Sounds like you had an awesome time and a great workout with the kayaking tho - yay!

Glad you are feeling those lunges Josaleigh! Your butt will love you for them :)
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    I haven't tried the yoga yet, the walking lunges really kicked my *kitten*! I'm so sore today, but it feels fantastic. We cleaned the garage this morning for roughly 5 hours and I'm pooped.

My NSV this week: I posted a blog about who I am and what got me here and the response was amazing. I guess hearing people's reaction to my story helped boost my motivation! It's pushed me to increase my workouts and continue logging even on the worst days. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/josaleigh

I am loading your blog to check out your story! Wonderful story! You sound just like me!!!
  • MelanieOnTheRun
    Options
    tattereds--girl thanks so much for putting all of this together and setting up all of the challenges for the month! you're awesome!
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, Thanks for the challenges guys! I didn't like the yoga so much, but the lunges were good. Really felt it working.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    I am close to finishing my 2.5 liters... 16 ounces to go!!!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was only able to start on 5th, and yay. I had my 2.5 ltrs. :) Working on the challeng for 6th :)
  • anu_6986
    Options
    I am not sure which new vegetable/fruit to try. I generally eat all sorts of veggies including bittergourd. So might not be able to find in the local market. Will have to check something which is not locally available. hmmm let me try.

BTW I tried dragon fruit for the first time a few days back, I found the taste fine but the smell was as if it was scented. Is it normal? I actually didn't like the smell and couldn't finish it. :(
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am not sure which new vegetable/fruit to try. I generally eat all sorts of veggies including bittergourd. So might not be able to find in the local market. Will have to check something which is not locally available. hmmm let me try.

BTW I tried dragon fruit for the first time a few days back, I found the taste fine but the smell was as if it was scented. Is it normal? I actually didn't like the smell and couldn't finish it. :(

Hmm, dragon fruit usually doesn't have much scent, at least not the ones that I've tried. But I love the fruit! its a perfect refreshing treat for a hot day.

Speaking of new vegetables, my grandparents recently went to Thailand and brought back some petai, which is a type of bean. I tried it for the first time, and it was surprisingly crunchy and tasty when eaten with chilli paste. Some people call it the stinky bean because it has a peculiar smell, but it didn't really bother me.
  • bwalton73
    Options
    I joined the group on Saturday and I just wanted to share my stats:

MFP'er: bwalton73
    height: 5'5
    weight: 173 (My highest weight was 310 in 2000-- I have been at 190 for the last few years.)
    bust/chest: 38 3/4
    waist: 33
    hips: 47
    1km/mile time: I haven't done this yet

As far as the challenges, I will have trouble trying new fruits and veggies. My diet is very fruit and veggie friendly now and I have tried or do eat almost every kind. :) If I find something new, I will give it a try and let you know what I think. I may try new ways of making my old favorites, though. Try to add some new life into the otherwise ordinary. :)

I didn't sign up for the whole week, but I tried to get some of the challenges done. I take a zumba class two nights a week, so does that count for my cardio? :) I am also trying to start circuit training so I counted that towards the crunches and tricep dips.

Looking forward to a new week. :)
  • anu_6986
    Options

Hmm, dragon fruit usually doesn't have much scent, at least not the ones that I've tried. But I love the fruit! its a perfect refreshing treat for a hot day.

Speaking of new vegetables, my grandparents recently went to Thailand and brought back some petai, which is a type of bean. I tried it for the first time, and it was surprisingly crunchy and tasty when eaten with chilli paste. Some people call it the stinky bean because it has a peculiar smell, but it didn't really bother me.

Hey thanks :) Maybe I did something wrong with the fruit then.. I googled petai, and I think I have seen this on the trees, but didnt know it was edible. Nice to know :) I found one vegetable which I had not had before, and my mom knows to cook it. will be trying that tomorrow. I will try to find out whats that called in English. It is kinda like the stem of a banana tree.
  • petiteerrant
    Options
    I love that you kept this group open. I've been having such a hard time joining the month/season challenges because they start months in advance and then close after a few days :(

MFP'er: petiteerrant
    height: 5' 2"
    weight: 126.2
    bust/chest: 34C
    waist: no measuring tape :(
    hips: no measuring tape :(
    1km/mile time: 4mph(walking) or 6.5mph(running)
    And this week's challenges:

Week beginning 1 Sept - Weekly goals (as previously mentioned:
    1. Try at least one new vegetable/fruit and report back about your experience.
    2. Minimum 3.5 hours of exercise this week.
    3. Identify at least one NSV (non scale victory) for the week and share your story with us.

1 Sept: Attempted it, but as I live in a small dorm with about 100 students, I have trouble doing these without making noise. Did my best, but I could do better

2 Sept: Can walk a little faster, but still need to work on lung endurance with running. Mile is still 6.5mph.

3 Sept: Hehe finally one that I thought I could do!

4 Sept: Had a great time with the yoga. I try to do at least 30 minutes in the morning when I wake up.

5 Sept: This one is a little harder because I don't have water bottles here, so I have to estimate. But since I drink only water, I'm assuming I pulled this off.

6 Sept: That hurt so good :D

7 Sept: Review your motivation photos and remind yourself what you are doing all this for!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, this week has been good and bad. I did most of the challenges, but ate like crap.I am looking forward to next week!
  • MelanieOnTheRun
    Options
    I have completed most of the challenges. I am determined to have lost 2 pounds for this week =)
  • rklewis
    rklewis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all of the challenges! It will be helpful to have a printout since I am not always checking my computer... I do a lot of logging from my iphone. THANKS! :)

Rachel
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Fabulous work so far everyone! Glad you are all getting along ok with the challenges.

Personally, I have been having a bit of trouble this week keeping up my exercise due to a starting a new full time job and also working on a terrible economic torts essay which is due tomorrow :grumble: I am really hoping that the small challenges along with my decent (though admittedly not amazing) eating this week will help me see some loss! Hitting training hard tomorrow night again and then PT first thing Friday again (had to push my usual Tuesday session back this week because of the essay, but I am soooo hanging out to get back there!), so next week will hopefully be smooth sailing again.

I'm also thinking of starting 30DS on Saturday - who's in?
  • bwalton73
    Options

I'm also thinking of starting 30DS on Saturday - who's in?

What is this?