Bright line eating

Options
Anyone try this? And have success with it? Can you have oats with it? Thanks!

Replies

• JessT1299
    JessT1299 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this since May 26th, 2020 and I LOVE it. I guess I am going against the popular opinion here. ;) Yes, you can have oats for breakfast only, during the weight loss phase. I believe it's 4 oz of cooked oats, but am not 100% sure.
  • DownsizingDemi
    DownsizingDemi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bright Line Eating is a program for people who have extremely unhealthy or addictive relationships with food. I've been on it for about a week now and it's the first one that I have felt like I can keep up with. It really gives me peace of mind. It definitely seems extreme to some people but for people like me who have an eating disorder/addiction, it's a life saver. Yes you can have oats, like the above mentioned its for breakfast during the weight loss phase and then when you move into maintenance, they allow grains back in during lunch and dinner as well.
  • notakumquat
    notakumquat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bright Line Eating (BLE) off and on for about 2 years now. I've been mostly off-plan during that time, but I'm back on track now. I'm most definitely a food addict (a 10++ on the BLE food susceptibility quiz), and I think the program works very well for me for that reason. It is extreme, but that's what works for me, at least. I need a lot of structure in order to not fall into binge eating patterns, and I struggle with it even with structure!

If there's anyone here who follows BLE, I'd love some BLE friends here; please send me a friend request! :smile:
    JessT1299 wrote: »
    I believe it's 4 oz of cooked oats, but am not 100% sure.
    Yes, it's 4 ounces cooked or 1 ounce dry.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    The book was available for free from my library - I got it after seeing questions about it here.

I don't necessarily disagree with the science she cites, but I do disagree with her conclusions that one must adhere to her Bright Lines:

https://brightlineeating.com/faq/

...What are the four Bright Lines?

The four Bright Lines are sugar, flour, meals, and quantities. In other words:

1. no sugar (whole, fresh fruit is okay, but fruit juice and dried fruit are not, nor are any artificial sweeteners or added sweeteners such as honey, agave, stevia, maple syrup, dextrose, sucralose, aspartame, saccharine, and similar products);
    2. no flour (of any kind—not even whole grain flour, oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour—because it's the processing that dictates how it will affect our brains);
    3. eating only meals (for most people it's three meals a day with nothing in between—snacking and grazing are not allowed); and
    4. weighed and measured quantities (food is either weighed with a digital food scale, or a "one plate, no seconds" rule can be adopted).

...Can I get a copy of the food plan without joining the Boot Camp?

[The answer to this isn't true - the book has the plan and is available for free at the library.]
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The book was available for free from my library - I got it after seeing questions about it here.

I don't necessarily disagree with the science she cites, but I do disagree with her conclusions that one must adhere to her Bright Lines:

1. no sugar (whole, fresh fruit is okay, but fruit juice and dried fruit are not, nor are any artificial sweeteners or added sweeteners such as honey, agave, stevia, maple syrup, dextrose, sucralose, aspartame, saccharine, and similar products);
    2. no flour (of any kind—not even whole grain flour, oat flour, almond flour, or coconut flour—because it's the processing that dictates how it will affect our brains);
    3. eating only meals (for most people it's three meals a day with nothing in between—snacking and grazing are not allowed); and
    4. weighed and measured quantities (food is either weighed with a digital food scale, or a "one plate, no seconds" rule can be adopted).

[The answer to this isn't true - the book has the plan and is available for free at the library.]

I do consider my glass of yoghurt in the late afternoon a meal, and my deserts are part of my dinner! :p And do not touch my sugars and flours! (I think I would feel very miserable on this, and my blood pressure would constantly be stuck in my feet)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since first looking up BLE, I've found rule 2 truly bizarre. I don't understand, feeble brain that I have, why whole almonds would be OK, but ground almonds (almond flour) are not OK in a way that affects my brain negatively, even though the very first thing I do when eating whole almonds is grind them up with my teeth.

I'm kind of curious - though not curious enough to read the book, let alone join the club - whether I'm allowed to chop the whole almonds, and if so, how finely I can chop them before they hurt me. Is a knife OK (not processing) but a food processor for chopping them not OK (because it has "process" in the name)?

All of the above, I hope it's obvious, is tongue in cheek.

Some people are helped by plans with strict rules, even if some of the rules are arbitrary. The "no flour substitutes" rule may be a way to keep people away from going the "fake it" route, such as figuring out how to make cookies from almond flour so as not to have to examine and change eating habits, such as eating fewer cookies.

Personally, I don't like structures with rules that don't appear to have a straightforward, honest reason, but instead are stated in seemingly-deceptive ways. That's part of what makes BLE, as a marketed program, seem to have one toe on the path toward cult-hood. But the program does seem to work well for some people, based on self reports here.

I THINK the distinction that they're making is that when we eat these foods in "flour"-style ways (like muffins or pancakes or bread) then it hits us emotionally and/or physically in the same way that wheat flour does (note: that these foods have a unique and negative impact is the program's opinion, not mine). So if wheat flour is off-limits, then "hacking" with different flours doesn't solve the problem (I think Whole30 has the same philosophy - they have a no "alternative" baked goods policy, IIRC).

So if you were chopping almonds to make a dip or something like that, it would be fine. You just can't process it into flour to use AS FLOUR.

(This leaves me with other questions, like can I really not have some gravy that is thickened with a little flour? Is that really similar to eating a muffin?)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    all I know is that if I lost a ton of weight and wasn't allowed a single muffin, the first thing I'd do when I hit my goal would be to eat about 37 muffins

:lol:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I took a look a while ago when someone asked and the more I read about it the more I hated it. It seems to generalize extreme restrictions when successful weight loss (and maintenance) is built on customization and personalization, not restriction.

It also completely does away with snacking. Works well for some, but I like snacking. Randomly snacking on vegetables makes up more than half of my vegetable intake. It makes me happy. Why would I not want to be happy when the practice isn't harming me?

The diet is too obsessive, and I'm someone who weighs lemon juice. I can't see how it could be practical for life. It also puts everyone on the same exact 1200 calorie diet plan regardless of your preferences, hunger, or activity level. The whole vibe of this diet is just not right and screams eating disorder trigger money grab. I suggest you read up on it and see for yourself that this is no way to treat yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    The 37 muffins concept is why Food Rules Eating doesn't work for me. Because no matter how long I abstain from ice cream, if I buy it I will eat the whole container in one afternoon. I won't go to bed until it's gone.

I have problems with moderating a LOT of different foods. Coincidentally (or not) they are mostly super sweet added-sugar things made with flour - so I do think she's on to something with those particular foods, and it's the same thing the 12 Step program (OA) says. Some people do have issues and are more sensitive to certain foods and drinks (alcohol, I'm looking at you.)

The author comes from12 Step. They are all about abstinence. AA, OA, NA, SLAA, all about stopping doing THAT. To be Recovered means forever stopping doing that. Some people do go that route with food ion OA. I know people who are sworn off sugar and wheat for life.

I used partial abstinence from my trigger foods for quite a while, it was the only way I was going to lose my weight. In the process I found other food to eat and I survived it! That in itself was a learning experience. I can eat other food.

What happened though - I don't want to never have a chocolate covered pretzel or a piece of pie with ice cream. Instead of living with the OA/BLE Rules I decided it's better to come up with rules that work for me personally. If I were going to OA meetings I would have to consider myself Not-Recovered. That's just silly.

I eat those foods that trigger me. I know they trigger me. I have boundaries around those foods. Either I only buy one serving, or I eat them very rarely and just take the 1500 calorie hit.

Yes, the Bright Lines rules do strike me as a way to bring a type of "abstinence" thinking to a substance that we can't realistically abstain from -- food.

Since we need to eat, committing to a set of food restrictions, eating times, and serving sizes that we will never ever deviate from would be the next best thing (in that mindset).

I have actually had pretty good luck with having most of my former problem foods back in my life. I can have my planned serving and move on. I tried last week with one of the last foods I'm still really careful with, knowing that it was a risk. It didn't work out (that is, I ate the whole box that day). I logged it, noted the circumstances (doing this during a period of unusual national/regional/personal stress was . . . not smart!), and moved on. The difference between now and several years ago is that it didn't kick off a cycle of self-anger/loathing and going on to eat the rest of the foods.

Yeah, for those of us prone to compulsive eating it is super important to get past the beating ourselves up part.

That's why I don't like OA or BLE. To be honest I know more about OA...I don't need my Higher Power (or sponsor, or "friends in the program") guilt-tripping me when I eat too many Little Debbies. I could give up Little Debbies, but that's not even the point. It's living under the Law that rubs me the wrong way.

I also log it and move on and skip the penance. :lol:
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One of the things I am hoping to achieve with the Bright Line approach is a better diet all around. I find that our schedule often makes us eat just to satisfy hunger and not give us the nutrition we need.