What food items do you splurge on $$$ wise?

Options

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Nutzzo cashew - $12.99 where I am. Never sorry. Store nut milks because I scratch make many things but not that. Bing cherries when they're around.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Plant based substitutes like puddings, yogurts, meats, hazelnut spread, etc. I also splurge on certain seasonal fruits like rainier cherries that I can only get 2 months out of the year.
  • debbielee54
    debbielee54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been buying more produce from the local farm stand or farmer's market. We grow a lot in our own garden but what we don't grow is worth spending a little more on for better freshness and quality than what the supermarkets have.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    My favorite dark-roasted crunchy peanut butter, which - unfortunately - is pricey.
  • Terrania24
    Terrania24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Natural grass-fed beef jerky, with no added preservatives or nitrites. One ounce of these makes a yummy high-protein snack.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My favorite dark-roasted crunchy peanut butter, which - unfortunately - is pricey.

Just a thought but why not make it yourself? Its very very easy.
    Roast half the nuts, leave the other half as is.
    Throw all into a food processor and watch it dance.
    Stop couple of times to scrape the sides.
    Once done to your liking, add sweetener to taste.

Not dark roasted enough for sure at half/half. Also, too much fuss and clean-up, for me. Willing to pay the big $$ for what tastes perfect. We all have our own personal weirdnesses.

I didn't like or eat peanut butter until just the last few years. It was the texture, not the flavor (have always like peanut-containing things, like peanut butter fudge/cookies/etc.) I changed that.

IIRC, you and I differ on peanut butter storage, too. I'm "stir well, then refrigerate". If memory serves, you store out of fridge, upside down. My dad did that. I disliked it.

:)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    High quality meat, usually grass fed and also free range eggs.
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Grass fed steaks. Fresh shrimp. Topo Chico mineral water. Lox. High quality balsamic vinegar
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I buy quality food and never eat out to balance out the cost of things. I buy organic (of all of the following) spices, berries, cereals, teas, bread, butter, eggs, and peanut butter. I buy steak or stew meats that are no hormones and no antibiotics. Some things are too expensive to buy organic, but I buy them as regular products, like olive oil, avocado oil, some nuts and popcorn or other snacks. I've managed to wean myself off of all carbonated beverages, chocolate, and milk, which has helped keep me stay on budget and be healthier.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile I will splurge and get an order of Dough Bar doughnuts. They're so tasty and filling (and healthier than a regular doughnut, of course), but they're stupid expensive. With shipping it comes to $5-6 per doughnut. That's crazy when you consider that Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme are something like a dollar each, and in some cases the calories aren't that much more. But "real" doughnuts aren't as filling and I have a really hard time stopping at one...
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What brand are you partial to? Sounds like something I’d want to splurge on too.
    I’m really enjoying the switch from quantity to quality with my food these days.
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 2020
    Options
    What brand are you partial to? Sounds like something I’d want to splurge on too.
    I’m really enjoying the switch from quantity to quality with my food these days.

Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted Crunchy (also comes in creamy). Hard to find, had to buy last batch online.

I'm not obsessively organic, so that part is coincidence. For a while when I first got well into eating peanut butter (recent, didn't like it for most of adult life), I was trying every brand I could find that was just peanuts and salt (had already quickly decided salt was important to me). I tried everything from store brands to national brands to health food type brands, from various store types, anything crunchy-style that was peanuts and salt. Some are mysteriously super-oily, some brands seem to taste slightly off or rancid as if the peanuts were old, etc. This is thick in a meaty way, tastes like fresh-roasted peanuts, and the dark-roasted aspect was a wonderful discovery.

I still try the odd new-to-me brand, but so far this is just better. Pricey, though, like 8 bucks a jar.

YMMV.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, sometimes ice cream, and sometimes good coffee.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'd say any fresh fruit or veggies I want. I don't look at those prices and I get what I'm craving.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Santa Cruz Organic Dark Roasted Crunchy (also comes in creamy). Hard to find, had to buy last batch online.

I'm not obsessively organic, so that part is coincidence. For a while when I first got well into eating peanut butter (recent, didn't like it for most of adult life), I was trying every brand I could find that was just peanuts and salt (had already quickly decided salt was important to me). I tried everything from store brands to national brands to health food type brands, from various store types, anything crunchy-style that was peanuts and salt. Some are mysteriously super-oily, some brands seem to taste slightly off or rancid as if the peanuts were old, etc. This is thick in a meaty way, tastes like fresh-roasted peanuts, and the dark-roasted aspect was a wonderful discovery.

I still try the odd new-to-me brand, but so far this is just better. Pricey, though, like 8 bucks a jar.

YMMV.

It is excellent, just like you say! At the moment walmart.com has it in stock. 6 jars for $34.08.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    beulah81 wrote: »

YMMV.

It is excellent, just like you say! At the moment walmart.com has it in stock. 6 jars for $34.08.

That's a really good price. If I weren't stocked up, I'd order some (I see they're out of single jars, too).

For those who may be interested, this looks like the one I enjoy: Just peanuts & salt. Santa Cruz has a wide range of peanut butters, including a Dark Roasted Crunchy (or Creamy) no-stir version, which is *not* just peanuts and salt, and is not the same, to me, enjoyment wise. Read carefully!
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Berries, good coffee and parmesean cheese.
  • Flygrl737
    Flygrl737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good coffee!
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    parmesean cheese
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Flavored gourmet balsamic vinegar. I go through tons, using it as salad dressing, marinade, on fruit, in slaws.

Once or twice a year, I drag out the car, drive an hour across town, and buy a case of wine bottle sized vinegars. I use about a bottle and a half a month. Heaven help me if all this vinegar makes my teeth fall out or something, but I’ve tried other brands and I do love this particular one. I told the clerk, who was kinda looking funny at me, that this was my weight loss secret, and they should put me in ads.

I went Monday, and nearly had a stroke at the final total, but then I reminded myself (rationalized?!) I don’t drink, and if I were buying wine on a regular basis, I’m sure a decent wine would have been easily twice the price.

I am fully stocked on enough dark chocolate, strawberry, blueberry, and honey/ginger (makes a great light and tangy stir fry) to last me at least eight months. Merciful heavens, I hate that drive, but the shipping on that stuff is ridonculous.