What food items do you splurge on $$$ wise?

Curious to know which foods you buy top quality. I go for premium cheeses, nut butters, meat and chocolates. Canned goods I usually buy generic.

Replies

• Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Scotch, Cognac, meats, and fish.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Chocolate.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    Definitely best quality cheese, if I’m going to spend the calories it’s going to be premium taste value!

Tomatoes, too, are probably up there - heirloom mixed colours when I can get them.

Other than those two, things like the best pasta flour I can find, fresh herbs, always!. Coffee, Oh and good red wine!

Mostly though I’m pretty frugal, most of my meals are seasonal veg and dried bean based.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited November 2019
    Butter! Kerrygold all the way.

We have family dietary restrictions we buy a lot of gluten free, so more expensive by default.

Organic pears, because they taste that much better (at our particular store anyway).

Ice cream - again, dietary restrictions, but in the process we found Turkey Hill is really tasty!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Chocolate.

I would expect nothing less from you, @apullum :)
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Seafood 🦞
  • LyndaBSS
    @MikePTY what is burrata cheese?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I tend to bargain shop but will spend more for heirloom tomatoes, chicken breasts in bulk as I only like white meat, salmon, and coffee for cold brew. I spend a little more for spices, but use less because they're good quality. I'll second chocolate but I don't have it often.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    shrimp and salmon are probably most expensive items i splurge on from a healthy standpoint. Chicken breast is cheap and i usually buy steaks in bulk when they are on sale.
  • LyndaBSS
    MikePTY wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @MikePTY what is burrata cheese?

It's hard to describe but basically it is a soft cheese with a solid outside and creamy inside made from mozzarella cheese and cream. It's delicious and super rich in flavor while still being low calorie for a cheese. Only 70 calories per ounce.

fs6k9mmxsi5c.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrata

Oh, that looks and sounds delicious. Thanks.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Organic free range meat and eggs. Nut oils.
  • Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2019
    Food is really important to me so I don’t mind splurging on quality food and ingredients. Some of my faves are coffee, eggs, salmon, chocolate candies, chips, fruits and vegetables, olive oils/spices, teas, artisan breads and baked goods and list can go on...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Meat