Optavia - Habits of Health

Just started Optavia 6 days ago. I did Keto for 5 months and lost weight, but it made my cholesterol go up. My sisters are doing Optavia and have had great success.

I like it so far because I don't have to think about food so much because of the prepackaged food. I am learning what portions look like through weighing my food. I feel better: breath easier, more energy, less cravings. It requires hydration, which I've never been good at.

I like that it integrates reading and journaling. I've learning that we live in a world that mostly doesn't care about making or serving healthy food/portions, but only cares about making money. I've learned that my body is wired to be a hunter/gatherer and because of that I eat a certain way.

I've learned that I have to choose health for the right reasons or I'll end up yo-yo dieting.

I've learned that I didn't want a coach, but they assigned me one and I like her a lot and like the support.

My son's fiance is doing the Hard 75 challenge: no alcohol, 1 outside workout, 1 inside workout, staying in your calorie goal for eating, reading 10 pages of a self help book - for 75 days. I'm beginning to incorporate the exercise portion. I don't drink alcohol anyway. I'm reading the Optavia books, but will push to read 10 pages a day. Obviously, I'm trying to meet my food calorie goals as I'm on a set meal plan with Optavia.

How has your optavia journey gone?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2020
    Out of curiosity, what part of your cholesterol went up?
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    For Keto - Every part of my cholesterol went up. So much so that the doctor wanted to put me on meds immediately. I told her that I could get it under control with diet. It's been three months and I have brought it down quite a bit. My problem was that I was eating real eggs instead of egg substitute. I don't have a problem with egg substitute or just using the egg white, so not a big deal.
  • sjcook23
    For the past 2 days I have been adding a bit of the 75 Hard https://andyfrisella.com/pages/75hard-info . I've been trying to do one workout inside and one workout outside, read 10 pages of non-fiction a day, I've really got to up my H2O to 1 gallon (128 oz). I'm only doing 64 oz via Optivia. I read that dehydration works against your metabolism. The WebMD said that we need 1 oz per lb of weight - that would be a lot for me. So aiming for the 1 gallon is my newest change to incorporate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    sjcook23 wrote: »
    For Keto - Every part of my cholesterol went up. So much so that the doctor wanted to put me on meds immediately. I told her that I could get it under control with diet. It's been three months and I have brought it down quite a bit. My problem was that I was eating real eggs instead of egg substitute. I don't have a problem with egg substitute or just using the egg white, so not a big deal.

Like your triglycerides and fasting blood glucose went up? It's not unusual for total cholesterol to increase because HDL and even LDL can increase. But that doesn't mean you are in a worse metabolic position. If weight is trending down, fasting blood glucose and triglycerides are improving, while HDL is increasing, you are are ok. My LDL went up to 178 from 99, but my HDL doubled, my triglycerides went down to 40 and fasting blood glucose was 80. Some people, like myself, can be a hyper responder to the increase fatty acids from keto.
  • sjcook23
    I hear you about not wanting someone to tell me what to do. I wanted on the program, but didn't want a coach. However, having had the coach for 1.5 weeks now. She really is just sending helpful info and answering questions, which is really helpful. I quit WW because I felt it was too smothering. I felt that I had the knowledge and willpower to do it on my own. Having said that. I really like Optavia. I like most of the food, esp the snack-like food and smoothies/shakes. I'm not hungry. I'm losing weight. I like that they are trying to install healthy habits, like hydration, mindful eating, knowing my portions thru weighing food.

My latest disappointment is that while in Phase 1 (getting to a healthy weight) Myfitnesspal doesn't really work, because the calorie input is less than 1000 per day, so it won't post your completed food diary. However, Optavia has it's own app that has you check a box for each fueling, register you water consumption, report mindfulness, as well as complete other tasks, e.g., clearing the pantry of junk food, eating from 6 inch plates, etc. However, the lean and green meal won't even fit on a 6 inch plate - it is a LOT of food. 3 oz of lettuce, which is 2 of the 3 vegetables is a 10-12 inch plateful of salad. 6 oz of chicken breast is more than I can eat in a setting. Who knew that 1 serving of protein could be so much food.
  • sjcook23
    3 weeks in 10 lbs loss.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    I usually make it over 1000 calories in a typical day, but some days I can be under. It depends on what you choose for your protein, healthy fats, and condiments