What training can I do from home?

Gym's are soon opening here in the UK, but even when they open I'm going to struggle juggling childcare and work commitments (childcare in the day, work in the evening!) All the advice I read on here says follow a training programme - but I've got limited equipment here.

Looking on line there are lots of programmes for equipment free lockdown workouts - lots of people saying their workouts are the best, pay a little money for them, they will give you results etc.

Has anyone bought any of these equipment-free designed for home use programmes? Any recommendations?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    There are plenty of equipmentless/ minimum equipment home routines on YouTube for free. You really don’t need to pay for a general strengthening goal routine unless you have specific requirements.

Personally for a beginner I like Nerdfitness and Hasfit. They are simple and effective.

Cheers, h.
  • HeLiera
    HeLiera Posts: 1 Member
    I love Caroline Girvan on YouTube.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    I bought Beachbody on demand for the year for $99 back in February. There are a ton of programs on there that do not require more than water, a towel, and a good mindset.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    I use fitness blender. They have videos on YouTube but you can also sign up on their website. They have free videos or you can subscribe to their structured fitness plans.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I ran Beachbody programs for years but if i had to do it again, I would probably run AthleanX Zero program to start and then move to AX-1 if you have some equipment.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm following Sydney Cummings on YouTube, but you will need dumbbells. Do you not have any? If not, she also has no-equipment needed workouts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    There are plenty of ways to achieve stimulus with things we find available around the house. I usually have clients who have limited equipment start with loaded water jugs, stairs, loaded back pack, suitcase, resistance bands, broom, chairs, laundry bag, tool box, etc...

I wouldn't advice purchasing any program that promises results while offering a cookie cutter template and doesn't reflect what equipment you have available and details about you as a person and your current adaptations. Could and have they "worked" for others? Sure, but again others who might have different adaptations than you.

I encourage you to search for avenues that are mirror your adaptations, time, equipment access, and ROI on the money you chose to invest.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited August 2020
    I suppose I feel that if I was following some sort of program it would be more beneficial than selecting a new work out on youtube every day. (Although my fitness has improved so far using this method!)

Thanks to everyone who's replied, lots of good options it seems.

I'm following Sydney Cummings on YouTube, but you will need dumbbells. Do you not have any? If not, she also has no-equipment needed workouts.
    Thanks will have a look. Yes, have some.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I ran Beachbody programs for years but if i had to do it again, I would probably run AthleanX Zero program to start and then move to AX-1 if you have some equipment.
    Thanks, have seen some of his youtube vids, he seems to know his stuff.
    ebonyroche wrote: »
    I use fitness blender. They have videos on YouTube but you can also sign up on their website. They have free videos or you can subscribe to their structured fitness plans.
    Thank you - would be good to have some variation!
    HeLiera wrote: »
    I love Caroline Girvan on YouTube.
    Not heard of her, will definitely look her up :)
    I bought Beachbody on demand for the year for $99 back in February. There are a ton of programs on there that do not require more than water, a towel, and a good mindset.
    Cheers, will also look at this.
    There are plenty of equipmentless/ minimum equipment home routines on YouTube for free. You really don’t need to pay for a general strengthening goal routine unless you have specific requirements.

Personally for a beginner I like Nerdfitness and Hasfit. They are simple and effective.

Cheers, h.
    Have heard of nerdfitness but not hasfit. Thanks.
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    There are plenty of ways to achieve stimulus with things we find available around the house. I usually have clients who have limited equipment start with loaded water jugs, stairs, loaded back pack, suitcase, resistance bands, broom, chairs, laundry bag, tool box, etc...

I wouldn't advice purchasing any program that promises results while offering a cookie cutter template and doesn't reflect what equipment you have available and details about you as a person and your current adaptations. Could and have they "worked" for others? Sure, but again others who might have different adaptations than you.

I encourage you to search for avenues that are mirror your adaptations, time, equipment access, and ROI on the money you chose to invest.

Thanks, I really want to lift heavy, the dumbells max out at 14kg each - I could probably do more with them, but I'm really missing deadlifts, heavy squats and benchpress (which I would love a bench for - I would get a gymball but my little ones would use it as a football and no spare room to put stuff in). I'd love an olympic bar bell but they're pricey, and I'm not too sure what length I want and which plates are compatible with which types. Hoping to pick up something secondhand, but stuff is being snapped up quick at the moment with gyms open but very much restricted here.
  • pallsworth
    pallsworth Posts: 1 Member
    I would suggest checking out Zeus Fitness on YouTube as he has a wide range of workouts and a lot of them are using body weight only so no equipment needed.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Hey, Jacq! Lots of programs out there are focused on weight loss and not getting stronger with progressive calisthenics.

Without progressive resistance by adding more weight, you will stall with weight training.
    With Calisthenics training, we focus on more advanced progressions of an exercise to stimulate new strength development.

For example, the pike pushup is a foundational exercise for developing the handstand pushup. As you progress, you will begin to understand how to apply the leverage of your bodyweight and how different angles or variations train the muscle.

Check out Get Strong by the Kalvaldo Brothers, it is a 16 week program which builds a foundation in progressive calisthenics.

If hypertrophy specific training is what you see looking for, Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson is an interesting read but more focused on building size in a cell environment rather than developing strength skills through progressive calisthenics.

You can also look into adapting a hypertrophy set and rep range into a calisthenics routine.
    I do 3x10 for hypertrophy training on the rings and I will do the hypertrophy after the skillwork.