how do you like your eggplant?

Options
2»

Replies

• Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant ( aubergine to me ) sliced and baked in the oven or place on a griddlle pan. Blend some anchovies, mint, raw garlic, a small amount of wine vinegar and some olive oil. The sauce has a strong taste so you need very little. Drizzle over the aubergine which can be served hot or cold. Sounds like an odd combo but it works!
  • digitalsinner
    Options
    Slice it into fries, dip in egg, and then panko/parmesan/red pepper mixture and bake them!

They're my french fry alternative!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have never tried eggplant...how would you guys describe the flavor, if you can?
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Grilled with a dash of sea salt. Made by my mama of course! :-)
    I can't make it come out right. I burn it or undercook it :-/
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You can make an eggplant parmesan that is super low cal for a super big portion... I make my own breadcrumbs with 35 calorie bread... toast them in the oven until they are golden brown and crunchy, then put in a food processor with tons of italian seasoning, Mrs. Dash, garlic powder (not salt) and rosemary... I'm not sure of the exact measurements but I'm thinking 3 cups of marinara sauce, 10tbs of parmesan (5 mixed in with bread crumbs and 5 on top) and 3/4 cup of reduced rat mozzerella cheese (1/4) in between layers and 1/2 c on top. coat the slices in egg beaters then in the breadcrumb/parm mixture, bake for about 15 minutes on each side, then layer with sauce and cheese in a lasagna pan... 1/4 of the recipe only has about 300 calories, and about 10 grams of fiber
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have never tried eggplant...how would you guys describe the flavor, if you can?
    Eggplant is just slightly bitter -- not as much as Brussels sprouts, but on that axis, and if you cook it right, it gets a delicious creamy texture. .It balances nicely with tomatoes, cheese, and breadcrumbs (i.e. eggplant parmigiana)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ^^ Thanks!! I love brussel sprouts, so I guess I should really give it a try!! :D
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    There's a great recipe for eggplant with lentils on fatfreevegan.com. It's even better as leftovers!:smile:
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    There's a great recipe for eggplant with lentils on fatfreevegan.com. It's even better as leftovers!:smile:

I actually put a recipe on MFP for eggplant, Lentil, and TVP burgers. VERY delicious and will go as far to say its way better than BOCA or Morningstar. I suggest anyone who has time to try it out should. First time in my life I had eggplant and was very surprised that it wasn't bad tasting as other people had told me throughout my life.