Should I change my approach?

Options
Background : I am 30F, 110 lbs, 4'11.7'' (almost 5), started eating 1200 for the last 10 days or so.

I wanted to buy dumbbells and did not know which ones to and ended up going to a gym for a day to see my initial strength level. So there was a person in the gym who was telling me about different machines and stuffs and suggested instead of cutting I should opt for recomposition or a very very slow cut by eating at maintenance, lifting heavy (in my capacity) and do moderate 20-30 minutes of cardio on alternate days.

I am eating 1200 calories. My maintenance is about 1400. I also would like to add that I got pretty hungry after lifting today. Should I change my approach of losing weight for now and strength train for retaining muscle? I am not really affected by scale weight but my pants fitting better.

Replies

• threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you taken a look at the recomp thread? That might help you assess options.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

I used to get hungry from lifting, but using the miniscule extra activity calories from doing it, and sometimes rearranging other eating patterns, took care of it, for me. (Specifics are probably individual like other satiation issues, and what I'd do depends on timing of meals vs. lifting, but loosely it's a little bit of extra carbs before lifting, especially if I'm feeling low-energy already, and a snack after if a meal isn't soon.)

Thank you @AnnPT77 . Your replies are always so thorough. I am really thankful. Your Sarah Connor aesthetic musing on the other post made me ponder and had me think through my goals in a different perspective.