What is this runner’s high and how do I get it?

Options
So It’s hard for me to find the motivation to do much of anything, let alone workout. I enjoy working out from time to time, but I have never experienced this so-called “runner’s high”. Is there a cheat code I’m missing? Do I have to jump up twice and squat down? How do I achieve this mythical, wondrous feeling?

Replies

• threeyears2024
    threeyears2024 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about runner's high but I have been working out for a few days now and I just want my days to end and the new day to start so that I can work out the next day. Its the strength or being able to do new things that makes me excited. I am a geneticist and have been a curious and an optimistic person since early life. Maybe that's why. I would suggest, don't think about what you would get out of the exercise but just do it because it's a good thing for your body and your health in general. That's how you do it regularly and results will come gradually in the process.

Sorry too big a rant.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    When i would run 5k it was always about 20 min in of the 30 min and it was like i didnt have to struggle and didnt feel like stopping and often kept running longer
  • Plasicage
    Plasicage Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I experience it only on treadmill runs. Personally for me I would have to be at speeds greater than 6.8mph for 40 minutes. If I do intervals, it doesn't kick in. Outdoors doesn't work either for me because it's lights, traffic, pedestrians so i slow down and pick up again. So it's continuous effort at faster pace. That's just my experience.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you even enjoy running? If you do, excellent! If you don’t, pick something else you DO enjoy. Maybe you like hiking, dancing, biking, walking, etc.

If you don’t enjoy it, it’s going to be very challenging to stick with it.

I am currently working on C25K, but I am redoing week 1 and I might repeat each week once before progressing to the next week. I worry that it might get too hard too fast otherwise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,628 Member
    Options
    I don't know about runner's high... but I know that if after a couple of hours of walking I throw my puppy** into the river, she comes out and starts running in circles like crazy into total Zoomies mode while I keep shovelling treats her way and in danger of losing fingers while doing so!

I am sure she thinks of that as a K9-high!

**puppy is a relative term, said mutt is probably 7 or 8 years old"
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Don't know about a runners high, but when I'm out with the headphones on walking I seldom want to come home. I could easily walk twice as far as I do if I had the time/didn't have to return for work/kids/dinner etc . Pretty much doing anything with music increases my enjoyment of something though.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add something to my earlier post, but MFP went weird.

I think it’s hard to find that sweet spot in the early days/weeks/months of running. I enjoy running so much better now that I can just run. It’s much more enjoyable when you can just turn off the brain and GO. My early runs were HARD (C25K), I was in terrible shape, had extra pounds, my stride was all wrong, shin splints, I felt like I was dying, and the whispers of defeat were lurking around each corner. I had to think about every step, every breath, listening out for each chime of the app. Now? I just go. I can tune out the world and just run. Some days it’s 20/30 minutes, but lately I have been able to go >an hour! I can look around, take in the scenery, process my thoughts and emotions, pray, etc. depending on the day and circumstances. A 5k used to feel like a far reaching goal, I wasn’t sure I would ever be able to do it, especially after heaving with just 30 seconds to a minute of jogging, but now it’s my “easy” run. Never would have imagined THAT! I am still not fast, but I don’t care. I am doing it!

But like @slunburg pointed out, if you don’t enjoy it, maybe find something you like better? Dreading exercise likely won’t make for long term commitment, unless you are a glutton for punishment. Or maybe find a fun training app to take you mind off of it? Listen to an audio book? Favorite podcast?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I used to run and never experienced a "high." However, I have experienced a "high" when lifting...between adrenaline and maybe a lack of oxygen and tight weight belt!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    My most common high comes after the run, as stated above. There is a feeling of serenity and deep contentment, your basic warm fuzzies. Occasionally I get the other kind, where I am in the flow and running feels effortless. The first is a frequent occurrence, the second is rare but happens often enough to keep me consistent.

Both are hard to come by when you are a new runner. Running in heat and humidity they are even more scarce. Most of my runs at the moment feel like work. I know though, that when it cools off, running outside will feel good again and I will experience joy once more.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I get it after I hit the wall and just keep going through it.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said it’s usually something I feel after the run. Occasionally I hit that runner’s high on the actual run where I feel light and awesome and just in the zone with my running.

I also enjoy my running a lot more when I have a race I’m training for.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't get a runner's high but I do definitely get "runner's alleviation of general malaise and anxiety on a day to day basis" which isn't as catchy but I'll take it. I am prone to depression and anxiety is something I battle with all day every day so any relief is most welcome.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I used to run and never experienced a "high." However, I have experienced a "high" when lifting...between adrenaline and maybe a lack of oxygen and tight weight belt!

That's impressive. I mostly feel light headed or the general need to sit down after a heavy deadlift!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    Don't know about a runners high, but when I'm out with the headphones on walking I seldom want to come home. I could easily walk twice as far as I do if I had the time/didn't have to return for work/kids/dinner etc . Pretty much doing anything with music increases my enjoyment of something though.

I don't run, but do get the high during long walks in the woods. I've noticed that it is more likely if I am listening to music rather than the news or a podcast. So I listen to words the first half, and switch to music on the way back. I think it takes about 45 minutes for the high to kick in.

Normally my walks are on my lunch break. I hear you about not wanting to come back :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced a runners high so I settle for a brisk walker's satisfaction :lol:

The closest I have had myself is after heavy lifting, when I'm stretching out, I feel like Wonder Woman.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have PTSD and my anxiety runs pretty high on a consistent basis. My runner’s “high” happens after long runs where I’ve finally thought all the thoughts and have nothing left think and my brain feels like smoke rising from the ashes-and there’s space in my brain. My body is typically also exhausted and settled. It’s a calmness that I don’t ever experience otherwise. There is a bit of a fuzziness physically-but not what I would consider a “high” like chemically-induced “highs”. But it’s certainly not “normal” and not a negative sensation either. My primary joy is the overall sense of calmness and space.

I experience it pretty consistently if I run for at least a couple of hours at a steady, comfortable pace where I’m not trying to push anything and I’m not breaking my rhythm with run/walk or varying speeds of running.

A second kind of experience isn’t the same kind of “high” but sometimes I have runs where I feel like I could go forever. Everything is clicking, moving feels effortless, breathing is easy and free-the running gods are smiling down on me. If that’s going to happen, it typically kicks in about an hour in to the run. This is far more elusive though and I have no idea why it happens-I just appreciate when it does.