30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    mnmprom wrote: »
    b1cnsirufgka.jpeg

HA HA HA!! That is SO TRUE! :D:D:D
  • suegreg2
    suegreg2 Posts: 38 Member
    @MommaGemz LOL! How true! Hubby and I were just discussing this - what the heck happened to us? I was baking (and eating) goodies at least once a week! Combine that with 12-hour days of planning and teaching lessons on-line (I'm a high school teacher) and we both look like we just came out of the dryer fluff cycle!

I try to avoid casseroles for the same reason as you - too hard to measure accurately. Love your idea of the deconstructed "not fried" rice. I might steal that idea for dinner tomorrow. Tonight is jumbo shrimp sautéed with zucchini, yellow squash, sweet pepper strips, and diced tomatoes, served over farfalle pasta. Heavy on the veggies.

As for exercise? Still swimming, aerobics, or stationary bike. I need to get some free-weights in there, too!
    Have a wonderful Monday!!
  • MommaGemz
    @suegreg2 Oh my gosh I was baking sooo much too. I love to bake to relax and destress, and I love to eat it too, sooooo.... Poof! :D
  • MommaGemz
    Day 33

Today I was battling so much anxiety and stress over adult responsibilities. I am so surprised I didn't crack and get take-out for lunch. But having these daily accountability posts truly ensures that I think twice about any rash food decisions. I am so thankful! Having the same breakfast and lunch helps too because I'm not tempted to go for something a little bit more "comforting." I did manage to get out of the cycle of anxiety and ended the day on a lighter note.

I really kicked butt on my stationary bike workout today, and then I remembered that I had all these stairs to climb today :D It felt good to get a great sweat going, then sit under the AC vent to cool off after.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
    Stairs - 14

Here is one of my favorites - Carnitas! These are pre-cooked Carnitas from Aldi's and I add the sides. It is soooo yummy and satisfying!

50109668416_d5c142bf1d_n.jpg
  • suegreg2
    suegreg2 Posts: 38 Member
    @MommaGemz Oh my, that looks delicious!! I'm glad your day turned out better in the end. Too much stress going on in the world! Here's to a better tomorrow for everyone!
  • kel_E
    kel_E Posts: 12 Member
    Definitely has been a stressful couple of days for me. I am a part time hairstylist and have to shut down again. I wanted to go for the comfort food, but so far I have not. It does help to have good choices available. Thank goodness 2 years ago I start to do data entry in an insurance office, so I am not working full time in a salon.

And on a exciting anxiety side, my youngest son found out he passed his AP Calculus test, so he is trying to change some of his classes. I just hope he gets what he needs.

Have A Great Tuesday!
  • ElTriste1973
    ElTriste1973 Posts: 234 Member
    Great job and keeping yourself accountable!
  • MommaGemz
    Day 34

The cat woke me up several times last night, so I was extremely tired all day. This was definitely an extra coffee day! I feel I wasn't the only one tired, because the kids weren't trying very much during school today. We all have those days sometimes. Luckily it's not a bike day, so I just needed to focus on getting my steps completed for the day.

I didn't finish my water for the day, because I was so focused on coffee. I got most of it in, but not all, so it doesn't count for this day. Early to bed tonight for sure!! 🥱🥱

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - Nope
    Stairs - 16

This is another "usual" meal for the family. Kielbasa and Potatoes w/ sauteed onions, green peppers and mushrooms. Reminds me of a German brat dinner. These potatoes are cooked in the airfryer and they are phenomenal 😍

50113543756_baf7e71bfd_n.jpg
  • MommaGemz
    Great job and keeping yourself accountable!

Thank you so much!

@kel_E I am so, so sorry that the current year has taken such a toll on your industry and thankful that you have another means to work. Congratulations to your son! It couldn't have been easy to focus, study and take an exam while life was so stressful - good for him!

• kel_E
    @mommagemz Thank you! I have a better hold of my emotions today. The biggest step for me is to recognize why I am reaching for those comfort foods and tell myself I don't need it to feel better. My son finished his senior year strong and has handled this year with stride. I defiantly can learn from him :) He was able to change his classes yesterday and get the classes he wanted, now I just hope he has a good college freshman start.

It has been so hot that I have used it as an excuse not to exercise, time for some self motivation :#
  • MommaGemz
    Day 35

I'm really starting to feel the effects of being stuck inside with my kids, doing home school, day after day after day. I think I'm feeling it more because it's just too darn hot to go outside, and my husband started working back in the office again, so I can't just escape outside for a walk. My husband and I have talked about taking up golf as a family. We used to golf before we had kids, but it wasn't feasible to keep it up when the kids were little. Now they're big enough to try it themselves. We'd still need the weather to cool down a bit, but it could get us all outside as a family, learning, socially distant and not so house-bound.

My Mom has also been having some health issues since the lockdowns started. She lives alone in a small apartment, so there is limited opportunity for her to move and exercise. It's hot outside and gyms aren't safe. Now she's having some circulation issues. So her doctor told her she needs to start exercising and lose some weight.

I stopped doing the Stairs challenge because I just have too much else on my plate to also fit squeezing in climbing stairs. So as not to overwhelm myself - I'm sticking with Steps and the Bike.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - Nope, just wasn't on the ball about it today....

I have no pictures of food today, so here's one of my cute cat 😍

50117438487_b8f845cec6_n.jpg
  • MommaGemz
    Day 36

Today was another day in which everything was testing my patience, big time. I wasn't in the best of moods. Part of it was that I was hungry and blood sugar issues were having an affect on me. I can see now one big reason why I gained all the weight. Many of us aren't in the most optimum environment right now and that's causing a fair amount of stress. I am a bigtime Introvert that really requires some time alone to recharge and regain emotional balance, and you know how many times I've been alone in the last 4 months?? Virtually none. I used to work from home while my husband was at work and the kids at school. Now, everyone's home all the time.

So it's clear that during these days of moodiness and stress I just reached for food to feel better. And during the times I was feeling great - I reached for food to celebrate! It was all abut food to regulate or address my feelings. It is so apparent now, when I don't feel so great and I want to eat something, anything, so bad, but I won't because I don't want to log it - how much I relied on food as a coping mechanism.

Now when I want to eat... I start pacing the house. It gets me more steps and I burn calories rather than eat calories.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

I was going to post a picture of what I call "What's left in my fridge Pasta" but then... I ate it :D
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    I feel for you, @MommaGemz - I like my quiet time too! I don't suppose you can trick your husband and the kids into having a movie night whilst you sneak off and sit in a dark room by yourself...? ;)

You're doing great. And might I request more photos of your cute cat? <3

The scales and I are not really friends at the moment (frustrating when I've hit my calorie goal consistently) but I'm still plugging on and hoping it will all sort itself out eventually.

Food has also been a coping mechanism for me - it's been a comfort, it's been a reward. I'm tired and I'm bored and I like food, and I can almost feel the old me reaching for something I cannot afford calorie-wise, but I also have enough self control not to do it. It's a bit like living with a ghost - it's hard to explain, really. Maybe a better analogy is the sliding doors theory - where your life could go in a very different direction if you just got on the train that day.

I can almost see what would happen if I kept eating and eating, versus if I stay on the journey.

It's for our health. That's something I try to remind myself of daily. Sure, I'd like to be thinner, and I will freely admit if I ever hit goal weight, I'm going to stare at myself in the mirror and preen like a peacock, just because I'll be able to. But really, the reason why I'm really making these hard choices, is so I live longer and happier.

As we head into the weekend - have a great one, everyone.
  • MommaGemz
    I feel for you, @MommaGemz - I like my quiet time too! I don't suppose you can trick your husband and the kids into having a movie night whilst you sneak off and sit in a dark room by yourself...? ;)

You're doing great. And might I request more photos of your cute cat? <3

Luckily, my husband does watch the kids pretty frequently, but they are so loud that it doesn't matter where I am in the house - it's not relaxing. Only when they are asleep, but then my husband and I hang out then.

I think I know what you mean by the "living with a ghost," because I also recognize when I would normally reach for food (usually because I want to at that very moment) and I resist and do something else instead of eat. I can almost "see" the event taking place. Thank goodness for logging, because I don't actually want to pick the extra snacks down in writing :D

More Cats? But of course! This little lady loves to be with the family, so she sleeps in the kids schoolwork Inbox, so.... the kids can't actually use the inbox :D:p But it sure is cute!

50122758336_35daec0940_n.jpg
  • thelastnightingale
    @MommaGemz She really is a beauty. I have a lot of respect for how cats just fit into whichever inappropriate space they feel like! :D

Logging keeps me honest. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I hate logging, because of the effort involved, but I know if I didn't log everything, my portion control would be out the window and the weight would creep up again. It's difficult living with greedy eyes! ;)
  • MommaGemz
    @MommaGemz She really is a beauty. I have a lot of respect for how cats just fit into whichever inappropriate space they feel like! :D

Logging keeps me honest. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I hate logging, because of the effort involved, but I know if I didn't log everything, my portion control would be out the window and the weight would creep up again. It's difficult living with greedy eyes! ;)

Me too - Meee toooo! :D:D
  • MommaGemz
    Day 37

A day that started out super frustrating, but ended up being pretty darn good! I have discovered that when I desperately need to vent some frustrations - cardio helps quite a bit! 👍 I had a darn good stationary bike session.

I feel like I really accomplished alot today and I'm ready for an evening of just kicking back and chilling.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Bike & Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

I needed a quick dinner to keep me from running through the drive-thru for fast food. This is one of my staples. I broil the buns with turkey & cheese, so they're warm and melty, then I air-fried the tots.

50123340133_de4ba28f6b_n.jpg
  • kel_E
    Everyone here is so inspiring. Thank you for your accountability. It makes me think of why I do things, and yep me too!
  • thelastnightingale
    @kel_E It's actually amazing how far you can get in life without stopping to question why you do certain things, and if that's really the best idea.

Everyone always says you should find a workout you enjoy as a form of exercise... For the second time this week, I've made a type of rosti! Honestly, grating veg can be a real workout, and my arms are tired. My Garmin is very pleased with me for once. ;)

I get so exhausted during the week, so I'm doing a little bit of batch cooking to get ahead. I've just made carrot soup, and it's under 100 calories a portion - I might not have the time or inclination to make a proper lunch in the week, but I can totally ping some soup in a microwave. :)

I think I'm starting to find my groove, food-wise. Every time I do a grocery shop, the amount of pre-prepared stuff goes down and down... I might actually be starting to enjoy cooking again. Last time I cooked for fun was probably about a decade or two ago. You know what? I was considerably thinner then, maybe this lockdown cooking is going to work out for me.

They're talking about sending us back into the offices to stimulate the economy, as the lunchtime traders are going out of business. But as bad as I feel for them, I don't think I want to buy their food anymore. I'm starting to really enjoy my own cooking, and what I really really enjoy, is knowing how many calories are in it. I like knowing exactly how many calories I have left over, so I can then spend them on something nice without feeling guilty or going too far over or under, because I have all the facts at my disposal.