What's the REAL "scoop" about potatoes???

Options
2»

Replies

• damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are ok... It's white rice and white bread that are stripped of nutrients and processed. These will turn to sugar if not burned.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I had mashed potatoes with greek yogurt AND butter with my dinner yesterday. I don't have 'em often, but I find a way to make them work in my meals every now and then.
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't given anything up. I like my food - especially spuds and pasta - and I like my booze.

In order to keep eating the things I like I exercise pretty hard on weekdays.

It works for me :-)
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes in all forms.I think it's just moderation and portion control that's the key.
  • cjsanford63
    cjsanford63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not in love with Brown Rice either. But I have tried and love either a Brown Basmati or Brown Jasmine rice. They taste much better than the long grain brown rice I've had...
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love french fries and sweet potatoes and potato salad and baked potatoes and mash potatoes.......never mind potatoes are from hell!! LOL No really you can eat potatoes as long as it is within moderation.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I can't resist.

Feta & Pine Nut Mashed Potatoes
    3 medium potatoes, flesh and skin, cubed
    1/3 c. plain, non-fat yogurt
    2 Tbsp. Brummel & Brown yogurt/butter blend
    2 tsp, minced garlic
    1/4 c. pine nuts
    1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled

Boil potatoes and pine nuts until potatoes are tender. Drain. Add all additional ingredients and mash.

Makes 4 Servings
    Per serving:
    Calories - 277
    Carbohydrates - 32g
    Sugars - 3g
    Fiber - 4g
    Fat - 13g
    Saturated Fat - 3g
    Cholesterol - 13mg
    Protein - 9g
    Sodium - 265mg
    Potassium - 761mg
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

Most people say, you should give up all white foods rice, potatoes, pasta, breads, etc?

That's for people who "diet" Im in this for life so this is a lifestyle change. I don't give up ANYTHING. I eat a little of this and a little of that and have lost 52lb doing it.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a vegetable!!! So of course they are okay to eat. What sets potatoes apart from 'lighter' vegetables is the higher carb content and starch. With that comes a side dish that is more filling! So do not fear potatoes- they are not off limits for a person on a diet. Things to watch out for are the ingredients typically added to potatoes, such as heavy cream and butter in mashed potatoes. These toppings are straight fats, and do not have many nutrients. So go ahead and indulge in some homemade 'fries' that are baked, roasted, or grilled in the comfort of your home. Season with your favorite spices, and you'll forget you're dieting at all.

Note: Sweet potatoes contain more fiber, vitamin A, and beta-ceratene than russet potatoes. They are also slightly lighter in calories. Basically, they are more nutritious than other varieties.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are ok... It's white rice and white bread that are stripped of nutrients and processed. These will turn to sugar if not burned.

Thanx & Thanx for the Eye Candy (giggle) :laugh:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them, but it's because I prefer a heap of veggies rather than a small portion of potato!

I don't eat breads or pasta because I'm gluten free. I also rarely eat rice...... but I'm never really low on carbs as I eat so many veggies, fruit and I also have my GF rice porridge for breakfast.

While I'm all about quality rather than quantity, I need a full stomach and I can get that from 2-3 cups veg rather than a medium potato!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, potatoes are ok in moderation if you don't add fattening stuff to them.

A recipe for "healthy" french fries (sorry I tend to eyeball quantities for spices):

1 large potato per person
    garlic powder
    paprika
    any spice you like really!
    1 tbsp olive oil (maybe two if you're making more than 6 potatoes)

cut potatoes into wedges (peeled or unpeeled according to taste). Put wedges in ziploc bag with oil and spices.
    Shake it!
    Put potatoes in baking dish in preheated oven
    Bake until they're done (maybe 30-40 minutes? I'm terrible at giving cooking directions)
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the potato recipes.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks EVERYONE this is very helpful...Today, I made Chicken Stew in the crockpot w/ potatoes and there is a bag of sweet potato fries in my freezer :bigsmile:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Just to add one more comment I have read a lot of fitness experts say potatoes are bad and only eat sweet potatoes and eliminate white ones. There was even a scientific study done (sorry I forget who) in the Washington Post about how potatoes were considered no better then candy! I have looked up potatoes nutritional value and I see nothing wrong with them. I even went to two of our registered dieticians at work on the issue and they said 'whatever man' potatoes rock!!!!!!
    I lost weight eating them too. I really and truly think it is what you put on them or how you cook them and your portion size!